Why jail is good

Old 04-16-2006, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Why jail is good

Three years ago, my friend, K, got a call that her alcoholic/addict husband was in jail again for DUI amongst other drug related issues.

She chose this time to not bail him out.

He was left there for 3 days, in which he detoxed alone, without medical assistance, experienced vomitting, sweats, shakes, hallucinations, all the misery a non medicated detox offers.

He told me recently, that at the end of day 3, as he lay underneath the small bed, on the cold hard floor of the cell, that he experienced an awakening that he never had before, and that it was a full and absolute desire to get help and stop drinking and drugging. He said he asked God to help him and pledged he would do what ever it took to get sober.

Within 5 seconds, he says, litereally immediately after saying those words, the jail attendant arrived and told him he was being bailed out of jail.

He has been sober since that day, just under 3 years ago. He went to rehab, stayed there and later to a half way house for a total of 9 months. He and his wife are both in 12 steps fellowships, recovering together, with thier daughter in Alateen.I have never seen a man so willing to do what it takes, perform unlimited amount of service and help others. He is a miracle.

Because she chose not to rescue him, he was able to come to the awakening that only God could provide.

And thats how jail, and letting go, is a good thing.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Thank you, thank you, thank you... for that message.
It is exactly what I needed to hear today.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

wonderful story FOB - sometimes that's what it takes for them to hit bottom and sometimes not.

miracles do happen and letting go is indeed, what it takes!
Old 04-16-2006, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile Miracles Of Sobriety

Hi, Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

I too enjoyed ur inspirational share. It gives hope to all those just coming in as well as the old-timers. : ) Im not that old, but its nice to once again have that encouragement to continue to stay sober no matter what. I was led into Rehab back in Aug 90 with a family intervention. I felt like my family abandaned me there for 28 day to deal with whatever i was going thru. No phone calls, stricked rules....wires on the windows, no outlets..well for me that was the first night in the crazy ward....Few family visitors. Sweats, i assumed i was detoxing but had no clue as to why I was feeling the way i was....Humiliated, angry, denial, the works....i had to come to terms with my disease and i chose to. I was Willing to do what it took for me to get back to my family. After 28 days they wanted to send me to a halfway house out of state away from my family. I wouldnt hear of it and thus they came up with an aftercare outpatiant plan and theraphy for 6 weeks. I did what i had to do mostly going thru the motions and im a living example as well this program does work if u work it. I LOVE the miracles that happen in this program and all those that come here to share their own Experiences, Strengths and Hope with us to stay sober one day at a time.

Thanks for being here for me and sharing.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

*sigh*

What timing on your post. AH went to jail last night for his 3rd DWI.

Jail only helps when you can't bail yourself out.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by TexasGirl
*sigh*

What timing on your post. AH went to jail last night for his 3rd DWI.

Jail only helps when you can't bail yourself out.
I know its hard. The jail stint for my friend in the story was not his first time either, but it was his most significant time.

Dont doubt higher power's ability to touch those who need help. Stay out of the way while the natural occurance of consequences play out.

First three steps:
1. I cant
2. God can
3. I think I;ll let him

Hang in there, TG, miracles are possible.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Thank you for sharing this story. I needed to hear this tonight myself. Continued blessings to your friend and her recovering husband.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Perhaps he can bail himself out, TG, but when his employment ends, you don't have to contribute money for his legal defense. He got himself into trouble, so he should have to get himself out all by himself. Just a thought...

Sorry for the hijack, FOB. Very timely post.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Very good to hear FOB!
Thanks for the reminder
Old 04-17-2006, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I acutally my AH would get to that point so I too could leave him pay his own consequences. When he is around, I feel I am paying for him while he drinks, drinks, and drinks. My AH doesnt leave home... he stays where it is safe and drinks himself and me crazy.