Notices

I quit smoking & my tryinagain quit drinking!

Old 03-19-2006, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Red face I quit smoking & my tryinagain quit drinking!

Hello everybody,

Ok I know the road is going to be so so tough I am already chomping the heck out of my cinnamon star brites.

My hubbby tryinagin has quit drinking, I am already walking on eggshells here. I know he is going through a lot and his nerves are on edge, he is on his 4th day.

I am really trying to keep my cool here but it is really tough
The nicotine demon is really messing with my head right now. My hubby still smokes and grrr it's going to be though

I had spine surgery back in 2004 and I had quit at that time. I lasted 56 days and crashed and burned, lit up once again. I knew I shouldn't do it but that demon talked me in to it once again!

Now, back to the spine surgery, my doctor told me that nicotine will attack the bones and they won't heal right if you have any nicotine in your body. Ok that should of been enough to stay off the stuff.

I really need some serious support here. I am still having problems with my neck, I have a bone growth stimulator and have finally committed myself to wearing it the 4 hours a day that I am suppose to be doing already. It's uncomfortable as heck but it is suppose to fuse my bones back together so that main root nerve will simmer down and quit bothering me.

I have attempted this so many times and my AH hubby keeps buying them for me telling me now is not a good time to do this. Just the other day I told him we don't have the money this week so don't worry about me just take care of your own. What do you think he did, yep you guessed it bought me 1 pack.

I finished those yesterday and today is a new day
I want to make this my quitting journal, so I will be spilling the beans on myself so to speak. I think right about now I could really use one, so, I am going to go get dressed and start cleaning something.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on quitting. Glad to see you here. Welcome to the non-smokers board. We are here for your support.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On a tear

Weasy... good to see you doing such positive things for yourself. You know, it doesn't matter if he buys them for ya, it is still your decision. I wish you the best in standing up for what you really want... and going after it.

You sound like you have been through a lot.... that should tell you that you definitely have the strength and dedication to do this. I wish you the best.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Oh, that's wonderful that you are quitting again.
And you know, studies show most quitters who are successful have tried multiple times to quit. And with each time, we learn something to help us the next time!

One day at a time. Read the stickies and many of the posts have invaluable information.

We're here for you; you WILL have the support you need. And remember, change the behaviors! Smoking is 90% behavioral; 10% addiction. If you attack the behaviors, and change them to healthy ones, you'll have a much greater likelihood of staying quit.

Keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 03-21-2006, 02:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Angry Ah geez!

I am so mad at myself I could just

Another 2 packs and I could just kick myself so hard. Well we are out of money this week and I am going to do this at whatever cost to my sanity.

I am so sick of this thing taking over my control of what goes on with me geez this thing is vicious. Why did they ever invent the dang things any way?

Ok, so another new day and another new start, right

Does anybody have any words of wisdom for this little, well I will treat myself kinder than that and I won't say what I am thinking of myself right now.

I have just got to get past this thing, I will see you here later and be checking in a lot seeing how I am going to be going through major cravings here!

Hugs,
Penelope
Old 04-20-2006, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Red face Keep tryin til ya get it right!

I guess sometimes you just have to keep trying until you get it right. So that is what I am going to do.

My hubby just gave me a kit called "Get Off Your Butt" "Stay Smokeless For Life" it has a book on tape and a booklet with it. Next week is a new week. He quit drinking again and is on day seven. Wow have things calmed down in my house. My stepdaughter has been moved to to her Grandparents home in Illinois, it is so quiet here now. There was so much stress and drama here, it seemed every time my hubby tried to quit drinking or me trying to quit smoking something would crop up. She would either cut school or end up somewhere she was not suppose to be, then the police would be called and it was just a big mess.

Ahh peace and quiet, maybe now I can get down to the root of my evil habit and kick it to the curb, I would love nothing more. I don't want anyone to think that she was to blame for us not getting to our goals as far as our very bad habits. It's such a long story there that most of you would fall asleep it I even began to write about that big mess.

So wish me luck and I will be checking in here, hopefully often, and y'all don't need to be so dang quiet, everybody reads but doesn't post, I don't get it!

well hope to see some words of wisdom here, soon would be great!

At least I don't feel like anymore now I am just going to concentrate on me and my addiction to this horrible thing called a butt.

Take care all,
Penelope
Old 04-20-2006, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Weasel I'm new on here and am going to try to quit again too,But I know I've got to be out of cigs to start ,that should be in a day or so I know it's tough but I think you and I can do it .Good luck I will be posting and checking on you too.Hugs Gate
Old 04-20-2006, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Red face

Originally Posted by gate to
I know I've got to be out of cigs to start ,that should be in a day or so I know it's tough but I think you and I can do it
That right there is so me if only it was that easy!

Yep Gate you are right we can do this and I so need a place to go when that urge stirs up. So, here's the deal I will come here and you will to. Strength in numbers. At least that is what I have always heard anyway.

Have a good night, night all

Penelope
Old 04-21-2006, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Weasel,have you downloaded a Quit smoking meter?I downloaded silk quit,but don't know if it's the recommended one.It's just the only one I've seen mentioned on a thread here.I've got exactly 1 pack of cigs left and as much as I smoke it will be gone before this day is over,and believe it or not I'm excited about quiting this nasty stinking habit.One of the most motivating things for me is remembering last time I quit,finally getting my home smelling good.I have hated that smell on my clothes and in my home I want it outta here again.I'm sorry you've got medical problems to deal with too,but all the more reason to hang in there.I'm ok health wise,but have a tremendous stress over addicted daughter,so we can do this as something extra nice for ourselves even if it"s difficult.it will make our lives so much better,so I'm on countdown to quit and want to help you stay on your goal.I'll be around here alot I too need all the help I can get,Hugs Gate
Old 04-21-2006, 10:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

Lightbulb How I Quit

Weasel;

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. But, I'm really glad you've made the decision to quit smoking Have you set your date? The following is what I did for my quit. I hope it will help you in yours.

First things first. I cleaned the house of all smoking stuff -- ashtrays, lighters...anything else associated with smoking. Visual reminders can cause a craving to come out of nowhere.

I also got a constant reminder for my puter. I downloaded the free quit meter at www.silkquit.org . It stays on my task bar, and serves as an incentive for me at all times.

I also used many quit aids. I got the patches. I also used the gum too --but, when I was driving only. That's when a craving would hit bad I used Zyban, too. It helped me. I used any and all methods to get me through. I also went to group smoke cessation counseling.

Each state received funds from the tobacco settlement. They were supposed to use it for prevention and cessation programs, (though some have not.) You can call your town counsel or state representative to find out if your state has it or not. (If not, find out what they did with the money ). For me, it was easy. My doc told me to call 1 800 Try to Stop. They hooked me right up with the group cessation counseling and patches and gum. All free! And I went to their online group at www.trytostop.org

Also, I called the American Cancer Society toll free at 1-800-ACS-2345 to request self help materials.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/c...rs_Can_Quit.asp

They sent me materials and also hooked me up with phone counseling, which I had a smoking history of 36 years and over 3 packs a day at my worse. I also used. I used every tactic available to me.

The biggest thing I learned with the group and telephone counseling is this: Focus on behaviors. I have to choose to do the next right thing, choice by choice, no matter what. The urges WILL come. But I do not have to succumb to them.

I planned for the times I knew I would want a cigarette. I asked myself, what would I do when I am on the phone? Having myr morning coffee? Driving?
What about when I'm in a situation where others are smoking? What will I do?
How about drinking? I needed to assess the group of behaviors I had that would help me get through these times; and to develop more behaviors too.

It helped me to change things around too. For example, I drove to work a different way. Move the furniture around in the house. Sit in a different chair for my coffee time and hold the phone in the opposite hand. Drink tea instead of coffee in the morning. All these changes helped me with my quit. I was no longer doing things automatically. I became consciously aware of my movements. That helped me to remain conscious of my desire to quit smoking too.

It is also important to develop new skills. For example, I joined the gym. I joined the chorus. These healthy behaviors helped me overcome the negative behaviors of smoking. And they serve as a good reminder for me. (Though I did have to quit chorus...I just didn't have the time.) They help me remember why I want to quit, I have the start of COPD. And if I DO slip, it will give me a really quick reminder by causing my symptoms to return. In both scenarios, I benefit from developing healthy, positive addictions to replace the negative ones.

I knew I WOULD have cravings. There was no doubt about it at all. Some will be strong. But, the new behaviors that I adopted helped me get through them. It takes only six weeks for new behaviors to become habits. And one thing I've learned is that cravings became much easier for me to take; much less potent, when I accepted them. I watched them come and go. I laughed at them, recognizing them for what they really are -- the nicodemon calling me back to death.

Finally, when things were at the worst, I relied on a tip that my friend gave me to get through it. My own personalized mantra. I choose one that had spiritual meaning for me, but, it can be anything. Mine was a Hebrew quote, “nais gadol haya po ” It means, “A great miracle is happening here ” And it WAS a miracle for me After 36 years of smoking, I am quitting smoking one day at a time.

One last thing my smoke cessation counselor said. Cinnamon sticks help with cravings. Something in the cinnamon does it. As a side benefit, it also is a slight appetite suppressant, so if gaining weight is a concern, it can help. Now, personally, I didn't like the sticks. Reminded me too much of smoking. But, I now chew cinnamon gum on occasion.

I hope these things help you in your quit. Focus on behaviors is my main statement. That's what's gotten me to Four months, three weeks, two days, 6 hours, 19 minutes and 38 seconds without a cigarette. That's 5730 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,575.90. Life saved: 2 weeks, 5 days, 21 hours, 30 minutes.

Good luck, and remember to check in on the daily check in thread. The day to day support and accountability helps keep me on track

Keep the quit and post before you puff

Shalom!

PS: Bet you got more than you ever asked for,
Old 04-22-2006, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

7 More to go!

Shalom,
Thank you for all your advise , I so look forward to this 7 more to go and that is it for me. My hubby is on his 9th day of not drinking his daughter went back to live with her Grandparents in Illinois. There was so much chaos when she was here, she is very troubled and is going to getting some help with that.

What I am saying is my home is finally calm and now I feel I can do this and actually succeed at it. My husband for once is not discouraging me from it, in the past that is all he would do! He kept saying now is not a good time and then go buy me more of the darn things, but now this time.

I will have to wait on getting the house de-smoked due to my hubby still doing it but at least I have my own office again and he will respect that and not smoke in it. I know it will still effect me in many ways but I don't have to have it in the same room with me.

I plan on calling around and seeing what I can get as far as some help with aides, I love those starbursts the cinnamon ones I plan to have plenty on hand.

Don't worry I will post before a puff without a doubt

Thank for you help with this,
Penelope
Old 04-23-2006, 05:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Weasel , good morning,are you ready yet?Good Luck thanks for the support I'm here and yes it's tough but we can do it,ur friend Gate.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sending your way all my support. I too had to finish all my cigs before I could quit. Just something about throwing away good money, LOL no problem burning them up but throwing them away, not on your life. Good Luck!! You too Gate.

Time flies, before you know it you will not be having any cravings. It's just over 2 months for me and I rarely ever have a craving. You can do it!!!

Two months, three days, 17 hours, 12 minutes and 28 seconds. 2508 cigarettes not smoked, saving $211.84. Life saved: 1 week, 1 day, 17 hours, 0 minutes.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Yep I am ready!

Good Morning,
Ok, I had my last one at about 7:30 AM then stole one from my husband at about 8:00 AM. So, 8:05 is my official quit time.

I really need to find something to do with myself cuz I am doing way to much thinking right about now. I think I will go and throw some hair color into my har and get my mind off of this nasty habit I am kicking to the curb.

My nerves well if you had the dog that we have you would understand, he would bark at a fly, lol. The other 3 are pretty mellow, I will be checking back in like a lot.

Hugs, funny thing, my nerves right now are like this little picture up & down!
Penelope