my brother

Old 02-09-2006, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my brother

The State is meeting with my parents this morning at 9:00 to assess my brother. We received a letter from Carl Levin who is Michigan state representative. We are asking for more funding from the state to take care of my brother needs. Mr. Levin has decided to involve himself with my brother's situation, now I dont know what that entails as of yet, but we will see.

Meanwhile my brother is still in my parents hometown, he is still in the hospital, but he is doing fine. The advocacy has stopped him from being moved, which has been a blessing. Allison (our advocate) is amazing, she is working with the state, and working a number of different people and to me she has been working magic. I am so thankful to her and what she stands for and her help. We have not been able to find a nursing home that will accept my brother, even though the state offered to pay for extra funding. We had one that said they would then backed out at the last minute. There is another nursing home in my parents home town, his ex wife works there, and through this advocate, we found out that he was not accepted there because his ex wife requested him not be there, due to her being uncomfortable.

so

My parents decided to bring my brother home if we get approved for funding from the state, my parents are older and they are scared to take full responsibility for my brother, they need to get help coming to the house to care for him. We are waiting for approval from the state to see how many hours they will approve. His medication per month, his food, all the machines that they need, the hospital bed, oxygen in case he needs it. Lifting machine, wheel chair.

My parents are having someone come over to their house this afternoon to look at my parents house, to see what my parents need to do, if anything. I am sure they will have to build a ramp off the deck, in the backyard.

Since my brother has not been moved, he is doing wonderful, he is talking, he is letting us know when he has to use the bathroom, but no one at the hospital will give him a bed pan, (I dont get that) if he is telling them, why arent the trying??? Oh well, my parents are going to when or if he comes home. My mom is being taught at the hospital, how to clean is treche, how to sunction when needed, how to clean his feeding tube, how to check his cathedar and clean it. Oh just all kinds of stuff.

I am hoping they will approve my parents two shifts per day, third shift and a split shift during the day.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope your family gets EVERYTHING they need. It's good to hear he's still doing so well, thanks for the update.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Such wonderful news Emily... The squeaky wheel gets the oil. I hope the state feels your folks need round the clock help. How's that for being positive?

All will work out in the end.

Blessings
Old 02-09-2006, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Prayers out to your family. I hope it works out for the best!!!