My First Post...

Old 01-18-2006, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
My Inspiration

My First Post...

Hi everyone, my name is Jennifer. I'm kind of unsure what to right so I'll just wing it...

My husband is an alcoholic. He has had a lot of legal issues in the last few years but this past weekend brought it to a head. I had gone out with a friend of mine, who btw is a recovering alcoholic for 8 years now, and in the 3 hours I was gone my husband drank 12 beers. That by itself was bad but what made it awful was that he was watching our two kids who are 2 and 3. I'm just so grateful nothing happened to them. After I got home, he proceeded to staggered out the door and I assumed he was going to get more beer. He was walking, he knows better than to drive, and he didn't even pay attention when I called his name to stop him. That was at 10:30pm and he didn't stumble home until 3:20am (it was 20 degrees out too) . I was so worried I called the police, hospitals and the bars. I ended up packing up the kids and leaving him for a few days until he agreed to go to AA and we are going to get family counseling. On Friday I am going to my first Al Anon meeting, I hope that goes well.

I just need some support I guess, to talk to some people in a similar situation. He's not an everyday drinker either, but when he does, he's a drunk.

Jennifer
Old 01-18-2006, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome jen and good for you in for getting your kids to a safe place. al-anon will definitely be a great help to you. take care of you and the kids - that's what al-anon is all about. i hope your husband is ready to embrace AA and sobriety.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jen; Hi and welcome ! I am jsut about to sign off for the night but I wanted to say hello and will post more tomorrow.

You sound like you are doing the right things. There are people who will be along with more good advice.

Take care of yourself and your (very) little ones. (My "baby" will be 18y next week.)
Old 01-19-2006, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jennifer,
Yes, welcome. Sadly, there are so very many of us who understand what you are experiencing. For me, just hearing those thoughts from literally around the world help me realize that I'm not alone. Take care. -TG
Old 01-19-2006, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jennifer

Great first steps.... we are happy you found us.

Sit back relax and read everything you can, you definately not alone in this.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like a binge drinker.

it is very scary to come home and find your children not attended to.

Sounds like you are doing the very best things for your family. But ultmately to save the marriage, he must quit using alcohol entirely.