Notices

What to do about anxiety?

Old 01-02-2006, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What to do about anxiety?

Can anyone give me some pointers on what to do about the anxiety? I don't want to drink but I'm already nervous and anxious. I know it will pass but is there something I can do to get through it easier? Maybe I should exercise?
Old 01-02-2006, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Meetings, Exercise, Prayer, and the big one for me....DAILY MEDITATION. The effects are cummlative.

Exercise is probably the fastest way to help chill out.

Peace and Love
Old 01-02-2006, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Exercise is a fantastic stress buster, nowine!
Deep breathing; Letting to in order to let G*D; Distract yourself with something to do; meditate; pray -- the Serenity Prayer is a great one; Do something for someone less fortunate; Help a child, or an elderly person....what else can you add to this list?
Oh, yea, and remember to come and work it out here. We understand, and we're here for ya...

Shalom!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Nowine, welcome to SR

I remember the anxiety I suffered when I first got sober, I just had a look at some of my early posts, and they were very similar to yours! LOL

For me, taking the dog for a walk helped

I also rang some AA friends

drank plenty of water

went to a meeting

It has done me good to read those posts, and remember where I was . I couldn't concentrate on anything, but getting outside helped.

hang in there

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-02-2006, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You may not be aware of this...

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Take care...
Old 01-02-2006, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

What you nervous about? There are some things which any normal person will become anxious about. I used to keep a daily journal coming into AA. Most of the BS we worry about in life is just that.

One thing I've learned is to distance myself from things that causes stress. Gossip for example. Stay clear of people that are talking about others. Don't fall into that. Be responsible, putting things off causes more stress when, you have to hurry and do your work.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh! cap how true are your words!

When I first came into the rooms, i got tangled up with a group of gossips, they WERE older sober women, but I have come to realise that it was not healthy . In fact for me , it was "old behaviour", I used to gravitate to gossip in my drinking days, probably to feel i belonged.
I have now changed my group of friends in AA, and you are right, a lot less stressful

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-03-2006, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

I agree with those who talked about deep breathing and walking. You can also get stress-reduction CD's and tapes that work wonders. Progressive muscle relaxation is a good CD type thing to try and find....it can really help you with daily anxiety by just listening to it and following it through once a night at bed time...and helps your sleep quality greatly.

You might also check out some of the archives in the mental health forum.....I know there's been lots of talk about anxiety over the past year.

Mine was so bad that my hands and legs would shake everyday, non-stop for months. My legs no longer shake or fidget and my hands only shake when really super stressed.

Welcome and Hugs,
Jenna