Drug addict brother vs. Confused Sister

Old 12-11-2005, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Drug addict brother vs. Confused Sister

here's the scoop, i am a sister of a drug/alchol addict, my brother has been hooked since about 15,(my age), he was kicked out of high school in senior year and then went to jail, he has been to jail for drugs 3 times (cocaine and majuriuna) He has been clean for about a year and i am finally feeling like we were getting our family back together, he has a baby and a girlfriend and they are going to get married, my niece is about 5 months old and was a premie, I was finally starting to trust my brother and love him again and i thought he was going to make it this time, i went to his house last night and he was completely high or drunk he didn't want me to come in the house and he was really out of it, now i don't know what to do my brother is 21 and i am 15, my dad kinda knows that he is back on drugs or alochol, but he is in denial and thinks there is nothing we can do, my mom doesn't even know, i don't want my niece to grow up with a drug addict/alocholic cause i am scared she might get hurt, someone please tell me what to do i am really losing it!
Old 12-11-2005, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Talk to parents

Talk to your parents. Tell them what you know. Do not go over to his house if you believe he using alcohol or drugs, or if illegal drugs are in his possession.

I think you could write him a letter, tell him much you love him and that you care. Ask him to go to an AA or NA meeting. Maybe if he has a good friend who is clean, they could talk to him about programs that can help him.

Take care of you. Try some Ala-Teen meetings.

Lots of good advice and good people here. Keep posting!
Old 12-11-2005, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

You can't fix him, but you can do a lot to help yourself.

I know you are concerned about the baby. Can you talk to someone, maybe child protection, maybe a counsellor at school, if you really feel that the baby is in danger? At the very least, tell your Mum.

Usually, I try to mind my own business - what the alcoholic does is their own business. However, if a baby is in danger, then I believe that is a good reason to get involved.

Can you find an Al-ateen or maybe Al-anon meeting in your area? It will help you a lot with all the things you are feeling right now.

Keep coming back. You will find a lot of help and understanding here.

Robin
Old 12-12-2005, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Welcome, what kinda person is the babies mom. Is she messed up on drugs and alcohol too. Like the others have said, only if you have reason to believe the child is in danger get involved. Talk to your parents and let them know your concerns. I know you love your brother but the childs safety is the most important right now. Say a prayer for them all and your self. Keep coming back let us know what is going on. Maybe you can offer to babysit if you think you would be welcome there and safe.