Traveling.... help

Old 11-11-2005, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Traveling.... help

OK.... I have been searching the web and Good Heavens... confusion

Im planing to take my daughter to Venice, Italy this summer... Probably in July. Yep I know its peak travel time... but has to be then.

The problem is Im getting a headach trying to figure out the best way. We have both looked and she is really excited about doing a cruise ..... SO now Im looking at that.

Tell me season travelers.... travel agency? I dont usually have a problem with doing things online... but Im feeling like this is a bit much and not something I want to mess up
Old 11-11-2005, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First of All..

What's your budget? How many days? Do you want a tour or do you want to go independently?

More details..

And yes..you can talk to a travel agent about all of this without it costing you anything..

American Express has a travel agency..
Old 11-11-2005, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Anything I can't book online is over my head.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OK...

Im thinking a cruise from Spain, to France then to Italy ending in Venice. She wants to see Venice and so I will add a couple days there at the end.

Im thinking 12 to 14 days....

If I use a ship we dont have to move from hotel to hotel, food is included, she can see more of Europe and it seems that it would be more relaxed... in port for the day and then go to sleep and the next day your somewhere new to explore.

Cost ... I have no clue how much it will be.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd recommend a train trip/tour of if you are going to do Spain to France to Italy..

Don't know if there are cruises that do those three countries but I'll let our friends from the other side of the pond pipe in..

How comfortable are you traveling alone?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Traveling alone for me is fine....

However, traveling with my 5'8" drop dead beautiful 16 year old scares me a tad.

I dont want to make mistakes with this trip because its her first impression.... when I travel and make a mistake Im fine with it.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If I were you I would see about the train. I think you can get Europe-wide passes. *edit* you can! Europass

Spain - check out Paradors to stay in. They are (I think) government run B&Bs, but can be in the most fantastic old buildings.

France - Not been to the South. West Coast has fantastic beaches and is less crowded I think. And I might be there next summer, as well as in Northern Spain.

Venice - wonderful. I've PM'd you with a hotel, but be sparing with that info. It's only small and I don't want it all booked up when I go next! (anyone else who wants it, PM me.)

Oooh, how exciting!
Old 11-11-2005, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

I went on a cruise when I was 19, and it was awful! My Mom said if she were to ever do it again it would be by land and staying in a hotel. Cruiselines have really gone downhill in the last decade....Just a thought..

Sounds like fun!
Old 11-11-2005, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't go on a cruise. Really get to know the places you are visiting. Take your time - don't try and do too much.

Little tip - Europeans in the more touristy places have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Americans. And part of that is because of the whirlwind tour thing. When I was in Venice last year and when the cruise lines arrived, it was a nightmare. Much better to chill and see the sights at your own pace, chat to the locals, eat in the restaurants. You don't get that chance on a cruise.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

I agree with Minnie. You're pretty rushed and on a tight schedule while on a cruise. That's one of the things I didn't like about it.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Strange how different people have different opinions... that is the wonderful thing about putting stuff out there.

The cruise is so she can see more, and we dont have to move from one hotel to another.... I want the cruise to begin or end in Venice, since that is the city she said she wanted to see. I posed the question like this. If you could go anywhere in the world, just the two of us, where would it be??? She choose Venice... SO we would spend 3 or so days in Venice before or after the cruise.

I was talking with a couple others and they told me to do the cruise not over land that it was much easier and they also have tours of the main attractions so you dont miss out on stuff... Plus using a cruise the room, food and nightly entertainment is all included.

I have time to plan though so I will keep checking stuff out.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

using a cruise the room, food and nightly entertainment is all included.
But then you don't get to experience the places you are visiting. Just my opinion, but travelling opens your mind in so many different ways and that means seeing what a place is really like, not just seeing the attractions.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Try this forum:
Lonely Planet 'Thorn Tree' Travel forum.

Searches, questions, sticky's - you should be well catered for!
Old 11-11-2005, 07:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Cynay, you ever been on a cruise before?