Notices

Bender

Old 10-28-2005, 12:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
a hole new life

Bender

Hello Folks
Spent last 2 weeks drinking anything I could get my hands on!!
I was a month sober in August, thought I was OK, stoped comming here, stopped ringing my sponsors for help, stoped going to meetings, I find them very depreessing and stoped my counselling. I know I am a ******* stupid ******* So here I go again 3 days been to 3 meetings and back here looking for encouragement and support.
A friend has recommended a book called The Easyway to control your drinking by Allen Carr .The EASY bit in the tittle is a bit concerning!! does anyone know of this book? Reviews please
Anyway im back and going to stay
LOL
Dave
Old 10-28-2005, 01:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good you're back...so many people here to encourage you.....it sound like you are doing the right things to be sober.....good job...mari
Old 10-28-2005, 05:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Digger, welcome back. Hopefully you learned some lessons that you can now carry forward with you as you try this thing again. Don't beat yourself up over it. It happened, it's over, what is important is did you learn anything from it that you can carry forward?

Glad you're here, you're in the right place. As for the meetings, maybe you weren't ready to hear what they had to say or maybe you can shop for another meeting? I know I went to a couple of groups before I was ready to quit drinking (I went there to get family off my butt) and hated them. I immediately found excuses of why I didn't fit in, didn't like them etc. When I walked into my home group last year it was different. Don't know if it was that the people there and I clicked or that I was finally ready to listen and try or a combination of both but they are my 2nd family today and I miss it when I miss more than a couple of meetings. I go to meetings all over with my SO who lives in another part of town and at first I hated them because they weren't my home group but today I enjoy them. I look for the similarities rather than the differences today.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to pull out of the binge. That is my biggest fear, if I were to start again would I be able to quit. I don't want to find out!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 10-28-2005, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Digger
Hello Folks
Spent last 2 weeks drinking anything I could get my hands on!!
I was a month sober in August, thought I was OK, stoped comming here, stopped ringing my sponsors for help, stoped going to meetings,Dave
You thought you were ok. Funny, so did I. Not funny, but true. I, too, thought I was ok, stopped going to meetings, calling my sponsor, but I did complete counseling. That was the ticket that said I was ok. I now have 20 days, and go to meetings vey regularly. I am here everyday. I need to never forget that I am an addict and will use if I don't take the neccessary steps to prevent it; meetings, step work, SR.

I will say a prayer for you. Glad you made it back, some of us don't.

Sherry
Old 10-28-2005, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome Back!

:congrats on your new start.

No I have not heard of the book. Sorry.
I have been staying sober with the AA Big Book.

Take care...we understand....Blessings
Old 10-28-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

Originally Posted by Digger
A friend has recommended a book called The Easyway to control your drinking by Allen Carr .The EASY bit in the tittle is a bit concerning!! does anyone know of this book?
Haven't read the EASYWAY drinking book (which, despite it's title, is a cessation book). I have read the EASYWAY smoking book. Thought it was a good read. Although I did quit for about a month it didn't stick. This was my fault more than the book's. Still takes work.

As with all books on drinking, it certainly wont (or shouldn't) hurt, take what you can use and all that. Since you can get it on eBay for less than what a decent Six-Pack costs these days, I'd take a look. You can never have enough information.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

don't beat yourself up. Keep going to meetings and stay in it full force. This is the way and key to remaining sober.

Take that experience with you and move forward.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome back Digger
Old 10-28-2005, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey whats up? I read the book, and I recommend it....you've got to be open to it, and its not bogus, i really recommend it but i dont want to give anything away
Old 10-28-2005, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Digger,
Welcome back, glad your on the path again and going to meetings,
Take care and look forward to seeing you around here at SR