Notices

Drug Questions

Old 10-11-2005, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug Questions

I have some drug questions, and I need to admit some things...to get them off my chest. I've been thinking alot about my history of substance abuse, and the time has come to drag some skeletons out of my closet...and post them here on SR. I'm also very curious to learn more about these "over the counter" drugs which I've abused before....but I guess I'm more interested in making a confession, of sorts, here.
---------------------------------------

Cough Syrup
When I was in high school, some of my "friends" and I would get high from drinking DM cough syrups. We were convinced that the "dextro... DM". ingredient was the chemical which made us "high". It wasn't codiene cough syrup. I havn't drank cough syrup since, and it's pretty embarassing thing to admit....but I did it.

Has anybody heard of this? Is there a medical explanation?

Ephederine
I had a serious addiction to this several years ago. This decongestant is also a powerful stimuliant. I've heard ephederine refered to as "truckers uppers" before. It can have some serious side effects, including phychosis. It's usually sold in health food stores, and many body builders use it when they work out. I think it's banned in the USA now.

I quit because I started having a major phychotic reaction....and I literally went "crazy" from those pills.....with textbook schizophrenia-like symptoms. It went away when I quit popping the pills.

Does anybody know anything about this drug?

Muscle Relaxants
Here's a real bad thing to do: In high school, we used to snort ground up muscle relaxants. Has anybody heard of people doing this? It's a sick, sick, thing to do.
I feel such revulsion to these substances, my boozing, and all the selfish foohardy things I did. I need to be forgiven for the way I've treated others, and the way I treated my own body. I'm very ashamed of the things I talk about here.
chip
Old 10-11-2005, 10:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Chip, cough syrup has different ingredients that one could get "high" on, if they consume a lot. The ingredient common in most that youth like to use to get high is dextromethorphan. follow this link: http://community.nursingspectrum.com....cfm?AID=10396

It will give you a brief blurb on it. Or Google it by using the terms "cough syrup getting high" or other variation to find out more.

Pseudephrine is the stimulant from which most cookers make crystal meth. Ephedrine is a the molecular derivative, which used to be an ingredient in fat burner over the counter products until the FDA banned it. Get it? Again, Google it, and you can get probably hundreds of pages on this substance. Try that and you will get more than what you need.

Muscle relaxants are prescription. Not much I can tell you other than they work by reducing neurological activity to the skeletal muscles, I think. Not the same physiological activity as narcotics such as pain killers. They can be addictive but I can think of many other pharmaceuticals that would work better if a person wanted to get high by relaxing. However, long term use of them can cause health problems that can be fatal when combined with other drug addictions. Getting caught with prescription drugs like these without a prescription is usually a felony, so that is something else to think about. That means prison, not a few days in jail.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Have heard of stranger things.

What is important... you stopped.

Had a guy at school (back in high school) he would stick his nose over the gas tank of the tractor. They found him passed out. Brough him to the ER and then they sent him for rehab treatment. Gave him his job back and the last I had seen of him, he was still clean.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Admitting it frees you from the past. It's what the 4th & 5th step is all about.......

Great job! Let go now, and move on......if you hang around the rooms of AA enough, you will that, and far crazier stories.

You will be fine!

Tom
Old 10-12-2005, 12:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

My mom's friend got hooked on the Robitussin DM. She then went to Vicks and drank a minimum of a full bottle every day. I've heard of others abusing it as well.

I guess people could get high off Sudafed. Since it can be used in making meth it doesn't surprise me that you might hallucinate on it. Uppers were never my bag, but I do know they have put it behind pharmacy counters and prevented mass sales (you can only buy one box and must show ID) due its use in the manufacture of meth. I used to buy the bottles of 100 to keep my allergies away when at camp. Never did anything to me but keep away my allergies though.

Yes, I've heard of people snorting muscle relaxants. I almost started on those pills myself before I became sober.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies,
Yeah, I admit to doing some sick, sick things in the past. I'm happy that years seperate me from this behaviour. I guess the main reason for my post is to admit this awful behaviour. I'll check out the link, and try and find other info.
thanks,
chip
Old 10-12-2005, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chip
I'm very ashamed of the things I talk about here.
chip
Chip,...dont sweat it. Its in the past. NEXT right thing. Thats whats important. You cant go back in time (that would be cool though if we could, by the way) and fix the things we've done. So onward and upward. Besides,...thats nothing........Im from Michigan and this past summer there were stories in our local news and newspapers about high school kids around here sneaking around apartment complexes in the middle of the night and sucking the freon out of the air conditioning units. Talk about REEEEEE-freakin-TARDED. Dont worry about the cough syrup or the other stuff. Focus on now. You're doing awesome. Keep it up. One day at a time.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My mom used to drink a few beers through a straw and then down a couple of packets of Neocitran in hot water...I was around 9 or 10, and asked a girlfriend, who said, "why, she's getting a good buzz on!" I told my Dad, who was shocked, since he acted as though he didn't know how she was getting so buzzed on very few beers.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, Earlybird.
High school was such a long time ago.... I'm not beating myself up over it. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I was feeling really crumby when I wrote this thread. I feel pretty good right now.

Hi Ellenback!
Change of topic here....
I had the pleasure of meeting "Bubbles" several years ago when he played in a band....I think the band was called "sandbox" or something like that.... Good to see another Canadian here!!!!
chip