family feud

Old 12-05-2002, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ekp
Paused

family feud

does anyone here ever vent to a family member about their "a"? i know it's not the best person to vent to considering the fact that a fam. member is biased by nature. my mom is the person i vented to before i joined al anon. now, she has told my brothers personal info. and they seem to treat me like i'm crazy b/c my husband is an "a". i think i'm doing the best i can and my fam. should not be so judgemental. any opinions?
Old 12-05-2002, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Well i used to vent to my A's sister about him (my own family does not know), but I stopped talking to her about it after I found out she was so negative and condescending (this is what her family told me). I just didn't help me to hear her so I don't talk to her about it anymore. Plus they are biased and have strong feelings of their own about the A so I don't do it anymore. In my experience, the less people that know....the better.

J
:okay:
Old 12-05-2002, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The people in my family are just like the other people out in the world. Some of them I can talk to about my personal things and some I can't.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

I used to talk to my family about my A, but have since stopped. They have judged his behaviors without consideration of the disease. They have judged me because I haven't thrown him out. I have even heard comments about them thinking less of my ability to care for my children (my A doesn't drink in front of them).

Discussion of my A is off limits. I would highly suggest using caution to vent with those that don't understand the disease.