Notices

Who or where would i find info on Valium

Old 09-21-2005, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who or where would i find info on Valium

I am new here, so Hi all,

I am going to a rehab place this week, my addictions are hydrocodone and Valium, I feel it is time for me to do this, these drugs have grip on my life and I just want to be free again, not always in a haze, anyways any idea's as to where to look to find people or are there any people here now who have sucsessfully went through something like this please respond I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks to all, by the way this place is very cool

Kris
Old 09-21-2005, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi Kristian,
WELCOME to SR!!!
I am really happy to see you found your way here. I am a bit suprised your thread didn't get any replies until now. But somedays things are just a bit slower. Things seem to go in waves around here. But I am very happy you're here, and I hop eyou continue to came and share and just type the drap out of your head, better to type it out here, than to keep it "stuck"...

First, are you going to detox first, then to treatment? Is it like a 2 phase program?
I have been to several detoxes, several differeent types of treatments and a couple of detox/treatments. First, it most important to be absolutely sick and tired of living like that. Which it seems to me that you said you were. You have to be ready to go to any length to get help and to stay clean. It's a matter of getting clean, and staying clean, and although it may seem st the time like the getting clean is the hardest, it's not, really the hardest is the staying clean. My drug of choice is pain killers, mainly oxycodone, and I also took a benzo along with them, but I took the benzo as prescribed. But in detox, they insisted I detox off the benzo also. I really don't know alo about valium, but I'm quite certain it's a benzo. The benzo is the most dangerous thing to be detoxing off from, according to the places I detoxed at. You can have seizures. I did not, but that's because the only time I ever detoxed from them was in a hospital setting, and they know what they are doing, but also, I was not abusing mine, I wasn't taking much.

Don't worry. This is the start of a new life for you. It may seem a bit frightening, if you have never been in that type of setting, but you'll most likely find much support there. It's a much easier way to detox, than it is to do it on your own at home. I have done that . It is much harder.

When do you go? Did you call and find out what you can and can not bring? they are normally very strict on what they let you bring into the facility. So, if you don't know, call and find out ahead of time. How long is your program? Do they have a washer/dryer? Or does someone have to bring clothes to you. Might sound liek silly questions, but they won't seem so silly when you're there.

I am a bit confused by your question about how to find people here now who have successfully went through something like this?
Have you tried any groups? Such as, AA/NA? Celebrate Recovery,
or any others? The most widely known, and the most widely available is NA/AA. You can go to those, with out being clean, as long as you have the desire to be clean, they are available. Great programs, they have helped many people get and stay clean. There is so much more than just getting clean, its staying clean, as I menationed, and learning really why you used to begin with, what in your life was so bad that you had to numb yourself so you could deal? We have all been there and most are all still there
I hope I have maybe answered something for you here. I believe there is someone here that is from your area. I will check it out. If this person is, I will have them message you, maybe they could guide you a bit more..
Please hang around. Read, and post. In eh mean time, more people will be around to say hi...

Great to have you here.
Love, Becky
Old 09-22-2005, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and thank you for the welcome, I don't abuse Valium which is a lighter benzo, anotherwards easier to ween off, what I do abuse is hydrocodone and that is what I hate about it all, never been there done that, and I just want to get clean again.

What I meant was there any people on this board who have sucsessfully got clean from these types of drugs.

The rehab facility has beds available, so its a matter of me just going in, which I am going to do, I am not to sure about the clothing issues or what the expect, I guess I need to find out, but I do have family in the area so they can help if thats needed, Thanks again and any other replies would be awesome, cause I am going in today or tomarrow-Kris
Old 09-22-2005, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Kris,
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I have been going througha few things myself.

But it's ok, now there are many peope here that are clean from the pills, I just normally say pain killers, because, really they all have the same effect, especially during detox. There are many people that have done it on their own, I DO NOT recommend this. It's alot easier in a detox, so I am very happy, youre going to a center.
I have been clean for almost 6 months. I can just basically tell you that it's most difficuilt to stay clean, if you try to do it along, with no help. It's wise top get fter care help. I attend many different groups. I attend, dual-diagnosis, for my anxiety-depression issues, and I attend I attend celecbrate recovery, to help me stay clean, and to help me learn to live clean, and also learn why I felt the need to abuse drugs, straighten out my life. I see a drug and alcohol counselor to help me also. I also see a therapist. Now not everybody des all of this, but most do soemthing at least,
Please try to get into omthing, NA of some type of group, even AA. This will help you after..
Please coem back to SR when you get home, and let us know how you're doing. We WILL give you support at that time.. That I can promise you, there will be people here to talk and support you..
Check back.
Love, Becky
Old 09-22-2005, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Becky for all your info,

Yes it is a two phase type of rehab, go into detox first than like I think a month of counceling and so on, I am nervous, I won't kid ya, but I am putting alot of faith in God pulling me through this, I know he will. So I am thinking of the actuall detox being the hardest, and after that I would never want to go threw that again. JMHO But this place deals with people who are addicted to pains pills and benzo's, I will return and let you all, even the ones that didn't post how I am doing Thanks again.

Also have you had problems with anxiety for a long time? or did something happen? Just curious
Old 09-22-2005, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Midas

Hi Kris! Welcome Aboard Sober Recovery!

My name is Midas, and I'm an alcoholic/addict. Thanks to Angelgirl for responding. I know we have more NA people around here somewhere...but here's the AZ Valley-wide
listings for NA.

http://www.arizona-na.org/meetings/index.html

I've been through an outpatient program myself, and it can be kinda scary at first. If you're going into a 30-day detox inpatient treatment, the staff will monitor you closely during the withdrawal phase. Make sure you read through the sticky notes at the top of the page for more detailed information, if you haven't already.

Check in with the newcomer section too. It's a great place to start.

Take Care & keep us posted!

Old 09-22-2005, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kristian
What I meant was there any people on this board who have sucsessfully got clean from these types of drugs.
Hello, Kristian, and welcome home. Phinny, here - Vic and Valium addict coming up on a year clean and sober.

Rehab is a great start and I am proud of you for being willing to do this! After a year of relapsing, I finally got clean and sober the old fashioned way, cold turkey and lots and lots and lots of meetings. I started AA right away and got a sponsor and worked the steps. It wasn't easy, but I can tell you that we do recovery.

Congratulations on starting your journey.

hugs,

phinny
Old 09-22-2005, 09:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do it!

It's awesome that you took this step on your own...It took a little law enforcing mine. LOL I had been on hydros & benzo's for several years and am coming up on 14 months clean. It can be done. I also went through several rehab's & detox's--they're not fun, but with medical help it makes it much easier. Hang in there, it will be worth it.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Kris
If you're still around and you read this, I just want to say, you'll do good. It's a bit scarey, I know, but it's really the fear of the unknown that gets us the most. You will do good. When you came out, you will be a freed person. With a new beginning at life, a new start God will help you through, he will guide you through. Pray, Pray, and Pray some more. It really helps me. I even brought my bible with me to detox.
Medical detox is just sooo much easier than cold turkey. Makes it seem like a piece of cake really. I guess it's just the journey you travel through in treatment, you can really learn ALOT, if you open yourself up, and really let it all in. It is a journey though, you learn alot about yourself. I did.
I have always had some problems with anxiety and depression. Also with social anxiety. These are only part of the reasons i used, but they were a part. I didn't feel shy when I was using... You will probably learn things about why you were using also. People use to cover up something in their life. To hide, or for many reasons..
Work really hard. It takes alot of work to get and stay clean. Open your mind to a recovery program, such as AA/NA or something of that sort. You don't have to like all the people or whatever, but it's the program that helps YOU, that's all that really matters.
I'll be looking forward to hearing from you when you get back...
Take care, and be easy on yourself,
Love, Becky
Old 09-22-2005, 11:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

I would strongly suggest you consider obtaining a mental health evaluation, even if you are in the midst of stopping the pharmaceuticals. It is at least possible you may be self medicating an underlying mental health disorder. Not making an excuse for the addiction, just suggesting you consider all the help available and make sure you take a complete approach to getting better. :insane
Old 09-23-2005, 10:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fuster,

That has allready been done, I went and spoke with a psychiatrist, and she told me I should have never been put on xanax, I had a temporary problem and it would have went away if I would have discussed it with someone, I made the mistake going into a Dr office, and he prescibed them for me, and had no idea what he was doing, the pshy then switched me over to valium to ween down and I did I just hit a standstill, and started messing around with the hydro's which was stupidity, anyhow I am going tonight and just getting it over with, because I am sick of living this way----Kris
Old 09-23-2005, 10:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Will be praying for you tonight Kris.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Alera,

All the prayers i gladly will accept.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

the best way to get off the valium is by doing a slow taper. detox for someone who is tolerant to any benzo does not work for many and the person can end up with protracted withdrawal. i got off benzos and i did a very fast taper and now i have protracted withdrawal. at 21 months off i still suffer and i have functional brain damage that i hope will improve over time. benzodiazepines are dangerous and serious drugs that make opiate withdrawal a joke. i know, i also got off 300 micrograms of fentanyl patch/hour and that was hard but the benzo, i would do the fentanly withdrawal all over again just to be spared the misery of what the benzo has done to me. you can go cold turkey off opiates but forget it with benzos. detox use phenobarb to detox off benzo. this is brutal and does not work for someone who has a tolerance to benzodiazepines. the symptoms are horrible and then the pheno is hard as hell to get off of and very difficult to cut in small enough doses.

you can go to this site and learn about benzos and how to get off them. read the ashton manual and then join the forum for advice on how to taper.
http://www.benzo.org.uk
Old 09-23-2005, 01:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Kris, a better life of freedom is ahead of you. Wishing you all the best in your recovery and your new life journey!

Love,
Angel
Old 09-23-2005, 10:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Kris, thanks for replying to my post. Don't forget to go to meetings, they are the one common denominator among those who fail to stay on the path to recovery. They work. Dream of a better life, and you will get there, just be patient with the process you are undertaking. It is a life long work.

:si
Old 09-23-2005, 10:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Kris, you're still out there??
Are you going in tonight??
Becky
Old 09-23-2005, 11:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well I have to say thank you to all that responded, very very helpful, the last time I took a Valium was actually last Sunday night, and it is now Friday night and has not been to bad, I am quite familiar with the Ashton Manual, but I guess I was lucky when I was swithched from xanax to valium in one day, no mixing weening from one to the next overnight it was hard for 2 days mainly but then it was ok, and the eqivelancies should have been as follows, i was on 3.5 mg of xanax which per Ashton should equal out to 70 mgs of Valium, I went to 50mg of Valium overnight and it was not too bad.

So I belive The lord our /my God will pull me through this, I believe it. I have a calling in the ministry and forgot that for reasons I will let you all know later, but I felt God speaking to me on Sunday while I was at church, and he spoke now is the time, and I will not ignore it again.

I will keep you posted, I am going in the morning prayers to all of you and thank you for the time you spent repling to my post, escpecially you becky and alera, you ladies are the best. I will check in tomarrow b-4 I go in, I told my boss today and he was cool, i am going to let the hospital take care of whatever medicle leave of absence I may need. Thanks all, good night to ya!!!!!!!

Kristian
Old 10-03-2005, 06:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm Back

Well I made it, and it wasn't to bad, I am totally off Hydrocodone, and I have to say that Subutex Sp????? Worked wonders, I desided to do alittle bit slower w/d from Valium, but my dose is about 75% less than what it used to be!!!!!, I am alittle tired now so I just wanted to keep you all posted on my progress, Thank you for all of you and espesially your prayers, That is what made this such an easier process, I had everyone praying that I Know made it so much better so I am going to relax for a while and check in later

Thanks you girls & guys you were wonderful.....Kristian
Old 10-03-2005, 07:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Livin' the NA WAY

Kristian,
Glad to hear you got off the hydro. I was addicted to both. My last run a year ago was off of 480-720mgs opiates, and 12-16mg Alprazolam (Zanax). Geofite had some VERY good advice, especially the link to the euro benzo site. I read, re-read, then cried when I found out how hard it was going to be to detox off of the benzo's at the level I was at. I had built up quite a tolerance. I had a seizure and broke my back, along with some other things.
The main thing is you were able to catch yourself quicker and are getting help. Slowly tapering off of the Valium is a good idea. I wasn't able to do a taper myself through.
I had to be honest with myself and go through detox to get off them. Either I would have died from taking too many and running out, or I would have just dragged my addiciton along like I had done for many years.
If you can, try and make a meeting if you think it might be good for you. Get a better idea of what it is like to stay clean and be around people in recovery, and gain support from here and a local group to help you successful complete the taper and Live Clean afterwords.
I thank my HP everyday for helping me be clean another day, and the people in the NA fellowship for being there for me.
Sincerely,
Chad H.

PS I know you are on a lower dose of Valium this is mainly for someone else reading this addicted to, or playing around with Benzo's. Geofite couldn't have been more correct about the detox.
I have been to hell and back with the opiates at the level I had to detox off of. It was a PARTY compared to the benzo's. I was in PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) for about 5 months.
The INSANITY of it was while I was addicted to the opiates I read and learned all about the benzo's and heard about the withdrawals and said to myself, "I just won't take as many, or I will quite before it gets out of hand" Yeah, anyway. From the first visit to the doc he gave me a RX for 2mg x 5x day, 10mg a day. 6mg is the max doseage. In my state a osteopathic physician can Rx just like a psychiatrist. IT IS INSANE.
Just an FYI