View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 12:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
geofite

the best way to get off the valium is by doing a slow taper. detox for someone who is tolerant to any benzo does not work for many and the person can end up with protracted withdrawal. i got off benzos and i did a very fast taper and now i have protracted withdrawal. at 21 months off i still suffer and i have functional brain damage that i hope will improve over time. benzodiazepines are dangerous and serious drugs that make opiate withdrawal a joke. i know, i also got off 300 micrograms of fentanyl patch/hour and that was hard but the benzo, i would do the fentanly withdrawal all over again just to be spared the misery of what the benzo has done to me. you can go cold turkey off opiates but forget it with benzos. detox use phenobarb to detox off benzo. this is brutal and does not work for someone who has a tolerance to benzodiazepines. the symptoms are horrible and then the pheno is hard as hell to get off of and very difficult to cut in small enough doses.

you can go to this site and learn about benzos and how to get off them. read the ashton manual and then join the forum for advice on how to taper.
http://www.benzo.org.uk