Notices

well going to rehab

Old 09-04-2005, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

well going to rehab

I had a long talk with my parents and have decided the best decision is that i go to a rehab center. Im so scared and nervous. I know that this will be one of best decisions for me. Have any of you been to rehab. I just need to know that it is a good decision iam making!
Old 09-04-2005, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations!

How can it be a harmful action?
Getting professional help is a wise move Kerry.

Blessings to you and hugs to your parents.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

what an awesome choice to make for yourself!!

i went to rehab and it was one of the best things i've done for myself. it was alot of hard work and emotions everywhere but when i left those doors after my treatment time was up, i felt confidant that i could make it in life sober.

good luck to you in your search for sobriety!!
Old 09-04-2005, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hey Kerry--If it is a possibility for you, consider yourself lucky. I went to a treatment center and it was the best decision I have ever made. I went for day treatment for the first two weeks, but decided to go ahead and go residential when I couldn't give up the pot. For me, treatment was a way to get completely away from all of my triggers, surround myself with people who were doing the same thing I was, spend ALL of my time working on my recovery, and truly get a jump-start on sobriety. There are people who can't go to treatment because of money, job commitments, family, etc. It is something I would reccommend for anyone, but I know not all can go that route.

When will you go? Please let us know and then come back and tell us how it went. I really do not think you will regret it.

Good luck and hugs to you--
Old 09-04-2005, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Hi Kerry, I've been to rehab twice, and though it wasn't a solution in itself I gained a great deal of knowledge and insight both times. They were two totally different experiences. The first time I went to Fellowship Hall in Greensboro NC, a very traditional 12 step based program. I did some excellant group therapy there and had a wonderful indivdual theripist. The other program I went to was The Holistic Addiction Treatment Center in North Miami Beach, FL. It also had a 12-step componant, but also mixed in yoga, karate, acupuncture, psychotherpy, nutrition, exercise, steam and suna treatments, supplaments, etc. I also gained a great deal of insight there. I relapsed after each one, but that does not reflect on either program in my opinion, I just wasn't ready yet. As Carol said, it can't hurt, but it is only a solution to your problem if you let it be. They can't fix you, only give you some tools, 28 days of clean time and point you in the right direction. You still have to do the work. Best of luck to you. Take care.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Most of the successful sober people I meet in my AA meetings have been through rehab. Getting there early is a blessing for you.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Kerry,

I went to residential rehab back in 1987. I stayed sober for over year and a half after that. I relapsed (for 15 years) after that, but got my first Big Book there and the seeds were planted. I did not go to rehab this time, but have done it with AA and am coming up on 7 months sober on September 8th. It might be thought that rehab did not work for me back in 1987, but I think it really did. I think my experience there taught mer there was another way of life. I'm lucky to have made it back after so long, that's for sure.

Jup.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Stronger every day!

Kerry....I agree wholeheartedly with everything everyone has said here. If you put even half the effort into rehab that you put into getting high/drunk, and all the energy that goes along with it, you will be giving yourself a gift that not everyone is lucky enough to get. Dig deep, focus on you and STAY OUT OF RELATIONSHIPS while you're there. Seriously, that may seem like weird advice, but I see it every day where I work (I work in a rehab) and it's just not healthy at all. How long is the program where you are looking to go?
Old 09-05-2005, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Kerry! I went to rehab for my alcohol and cocaine addiction back in 2002. I found it to be very helpful and haven't touched either since. All I can tell you is that rehab gave me my life back because I was given the tools to help myself. You can allow this to help or you can block it so it won't. The choice is yours to make. I hope you pray a lot before you go and allow yourself to be open while you are there. I think if you do that you will come out with much more hope and a much better outlook for your future.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been to many many rehabs, and I think it is VERY helpful but you have to really go in with an open mind. I was so busy judging what they taught and said I didnt learn anything the first few times. but, in my defense, the first treatment I went to was a youth facility (i was 15), and all these girls were hopping around singing christmas carols!!! I thought I would hang myself!! So, listen, basically, and looking back I did learn stuff, I just didnt realize it until I was ready for it. oh, and tyler, yoga is supposed to be one of the best things while detoxing (but who's gonna do that, right??), I know of a few methadone clinics that do it, gets the natural endorphins going much faster!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 01:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tyler, that must have been one fancy place!!! I bet there was no free care beds there!! LOL
Old 09-05-2005, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Actually it wasn't fancy at all, there were 20 of us cramed into a 9 bedroom tri-plex in a residential area. The program cost $8000, cheap by treatment program standards and some free beds were offered on a limited basis. It was the ususal mix of socioeconomic backgrounds you find at a rehab, from the street adict to college students to millionaire businessmen. It was a fairly small facialty ran by two former addicts who take a very different approach to recovery. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Just wanted to clairfy. Take care.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Kerry,
You will look back on this decision as one of the most mature and wisest things you have done for yourself. You are fortunate to have family support. I did outpatient rehab, and I don't regret it. If I had had the $$ I probably would have done inpatient, but I feel that I had a great therapist and my 12 step groups were awesome. I found my sponsor in one and I am clean and sober for 6 years, 10 months and 2 days. They are the best of my life.
Please let us know how you are doing. Prayers going up for you!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Kerry, this is a great decision that you are making for yourself.
Take care honey and many hugs and prayers going your way.