Notices

ummmm hello :)

Old 07-25-2005, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy ummmm hello :)

just wanted to say hi, i am new to this site, pedagogue referred me to this place

anywho, my depression started in mid april, i got extremely ill and dehydrated and was hospitalized, once i got out after 36 hrs i never really felt the same. the feelings of sad,hopeless,and anxious snowballed and completely took over after several days

ive been on zoloft 200mg for quite some time, it has helped some, but i need more than that, i recently started wellbutrin xl, and i have noticed a big difference. im trying to taper down my zoloft by 50mg a week until i am off of it due to sexual side effects which i cant stand. however this is the 2nd day i have taken only 150mg zoloft and im starting to feel worse

i guess the most frustrating part about my illness is that i was PERFECTLY HAPPY before i got sick, everything was going great, i loved my fiancee, and loved my work, but now i dont even like to be around people, and i am not sure of my future with the love of my life

ive been to several therapists and they havent really helped, they basically tell me my depression is purely chemical related, and not due to any stressors in my life

but anywho, ill fight on, guess it is just a matter of being patient and finding the right medication

i just wish i was back to my old self

thanks for listening
Old 07-25-2005, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi!

Sometimes, I think statistics say it takes 5 or 6 tries, to get the right cocktail of medications for depression. It stinks, I know. I require two different ones. But adding the 2d took me from functioning to happy, more normal than I had ever known.
I just skimped on them and skipped them for a few days and wound up falling on my face......just last week, and I should SO know better!

Anyway, there is help. And sometimes, you do have to trade drs until you find the one good for you.

I hope you feel much better soon!
Old 07-25-2005, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Eeeek...

Great pseud by the way... ;o) lol

I have struggled with depression and sadness as well... but.. I've been dealing with it by behavior modification and learning about dysfunctional personality traits and irrational thought systems that keep me lost and victimized.

http://www.coping.org/coping/intror.htm

Welcome to SR.. where we all get well together.. ;o)
Old 07-26-2005, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you for the support

that is a great website, thank you for the link
Old 07-26-2005, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Strange thing with me is I don't feel sad, like depression sad. I feel sad because I don't know why I have the anxiety. I feel more crazy than anything else.

Welcome to SR eeek, glad you are here.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

EEEK! I'm glad you found your way over here.

Medication isn't an exact science (right out of the bottle). It might take some time to find the right combination and dosage amount. Typical anti-depressants take 4-6 weeks to normalize in your body. Initally you might have 'felt' it (a mix of physiolocigal and psychological effects), but it will take awhile to level out.

Stress can sometimes trigger underlying feelings and that can raise anxiety levels and make everyday life seems like an uphill battle. Thankfully....this doesn't have to be a permenant thing.

I can't speak for where you are at right now...but I think a pharma solution will only get you part of the way there. Sometimes some brief therapy can go a long way. Many times people hit 'bumps' in the road. You usually can get yourself out of the funk....but sometimes being able to sit down with someone can make it shorter and less painful than if you went at it alone.

Take some time to read the forum (and check out some of the other forums) There are some great people here. Check our Mark Sichel's forum for some great advice.

If you have any questions,etc....please feel free to post them or PM any of the mods.

-pedagogue
Old 07-27-2005, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i agree that meds arent the complete solution, problem is no psychiatrists or psychologists within 75 miles of me take my insurance

im stuck seeing a neurologist for now, i have seen a licensed therapist but he didnt really know what to do with me
Old 07-28-2005, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

EEEK -

I don't know how much this will help, but it just might give you a few more options.

I am also battling with depression. I am currently doing the following for it: I take Fluoxetine (20 mg/day), therapy (once to twice a week) with a counselor from a church in town, coming here to SR, talking with friends/family (when I really need to), and journaling.

This has helped out a lot. It has helped me see some cycles that I tend to repeat over a period of time that keep me in my depressed mood. Once I find that out, I take steps to correct it and that seems to help with my mood. (Plus, I tend not to repeat it again. )

Anyway, hope some of this helps.