Notices

Panic or anxiety attacks

Old 07-06-2005, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Panic or anxiety attacks

Since Xanax is not good for an addict to take, what in the heck is a good substitute to take for panic attacks?

The last 3 days I have been having them like clockwork and I just don't know what to do.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by na4today
Since Xanax is not good for an addict to take, what in the heck is a good substitute to take for panic attacks?
There really isn't anything good for an addict to take DURING a panic attack, but SSRI antidepressants such as Paxil can help prevent them. There are other non-medication therapies that are useful too, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, biofeedback, etc. I know this doesn't help you right this minute, but it does give you some options to consider. Just remember, though, it WILL pass!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-06-2005, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

thanks Eddie, I know it will pass but during the attack it just drives me nuts. I've been laying down when it happens and just try to think of other things.

The very first one I had a couple of years ago was so bad it is just in my mind for ever. My body froze, my hands went into fists and I couldn't even open them and my toes curled up and that lasted about an hour and a half. I never want that to happen again!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Do you have any relaxation tapes or CDs or just some soothing music you could listen to? Chamomile tea helps, too. And warm milk... I'll work on thinking of other tips.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-06-2005, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Eddie...Thanks I love you!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're totally welcome, Kathy!

-ez
Old 07-06-2005, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

eddie z. posted a pretty good synopsis of options. I would add a few things to it...

I suggest Progressive Muscle Relaxation as a pre-emptive exercise to help lessen/lower your attacks:

http://stress.about.com/cs/relaxation/a/aa110600a.htm

http://www.lessons4living.com/how.htm

You have some cognitive hang ups that you need to address, and the therapy can help with that. You also need to develop coping mechanisms to deal with the attacks right before, during, and after.

Having mini-meditation sessions also can help. I use to do these at set times during the day (when I woke up, at 1:30pm, and then before bed) 5-10 minute sessions where I cleared my head, concentrated on getting myself mentally prepared for the day (or night).

-pedagogue
Old 07-06-2005, 08:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Thanks Pedagogue!
Old 07-11-2005, 08:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I definitely recommend the relaxation techniques. Deep breathing works better for me than anything else during an attack. I also try to find something to distract myself, like reading a book, watching tv, taking a walk, etc. A book I highly recommend is "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Edmund Bourne. Good stuff!
Old 07-11-2005, 08:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thanks, Lilalkie! Did I forget to mention earlier the book Don't Panic? That one helped me bunches, too.

Check in when you can, Kathy!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-11-2005, 10:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey guys, Na4today, I don't mean to hijack your thread, I just wanted to ask, what about panic that is constant. I don't get attacks-I wake up unable to get enough air and it's pretty much constant all day every day. Plus I'm hypersensitive to sound-a door slams and I hit the ceiling screaming, leg always wiggling. What is this and what do you do about it-without xanax? I understand Eddie's and Pedagogue's suggestions, but don't know if they would work-or for long-as this thing is constant. Like I take a walk and am still gaping for air. Good luck Na4today.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Sounds kind of like symptoms of generalized anxiety and/or PTSD. You really need to have a thorough evaluation by a professional, though, to say for sure. Could be either one, both, or even something else altogether.

SSRI antidepressants may be helpful. Or BuSpar. Or even some of the older antidepressants. These are the non-addictive alternatives basically. I can't remember whether you are seeing an actual psychiatrist or not, sorry, but if not, then I would definitely look into it. There may be some additional options up there in Canada that I know nothing about.

Keeping you all in my prayers!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-12-2005, 09:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Eddie. Alot of SSRIs are too speedy or make me feel terrible in some other way. I've heard wonders about Lexapro-but I've done Celexa (Lexapro's an improved version of Celexa-in case anyone didn't know that.) and it made me gain alot of weight fast and didn't do anything for me. Is it really better than Celexa? I liked the no side effects of Celexa-but not the weight gain it did on me. I gained over 20 pounds in just over a month. I'll look up Buspar. I'm going to wean off xanax before I do anything else. Which should be fun. The Psychiatrist just said I have Borderline Personality Disorder-(and depression, anxiety) and that it's hard to treat. And basically just listed the options you have-and wanted to put me on Klonopin-which I don't want. I should see another shrink-I'd sure be willing to try an SSRI or anything that would help. I'll look into the Buspar, thanks. It's like I'm on some really crappy speed all the time.
Just curious-does anyone else on this board feel like this?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No expectations!

BuSpar is buspirone and it's only for anxiety. Just about any drug that works on serotonin can make you gain weight, unfortunately. I'm glad you decided against the Klonopin, too. Maybe finding a new doc IS in order. I'll be thinking of you!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-12-2005, 11:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forever In Recovery, Dana

Thanks

WOW! I have the same problems with anxiety, and panic!!! All of your advice helps me as well!! I also just want to stress,(no pun intended ha ha), deep breathing exercises! They help, not a cure-all, but help and thats all we can ask for right? Take care, I am glad to know I am not the only basket case around here
Old 07-12-2005, 11:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No expectations!

WELCOME to SR, Dana Nicole!! And thanks for posting, too!!

I hope Kathy comes back soon!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-12-2005, 01:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forever In Recovery, Dana

Thanks!

Thanks Eddie!!
Old 07-12-2005, 06:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome, Dana! Just keep posting!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-16-2005, 08:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

I can't do much like take a walk or read when I'm in a panic, it just suck everything out of me and if I try to move to much I get more dizzy and my body tingles more. I have to be as still as I can.
I have also noticed something.....during an attack some of the feelings I get are just like normal body sensations. Tingling in arms and legs like when you sit on them too long. Or chills from being cold. So when it is only the normal sensations and I know it is, my mind still says to panic. I hate it so bad and the thought of being like this the rest of my life, well I don't want to do that. To me death sounds better than living with the feeling of being crazy all the time!
Old 07-16-2005, 08:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
keep on the sunny side

My doctor put me on a drug that lowers your heart rate called Propranolol. The drug is mostly used to control high blood pressure, but doctors also use it for panic attack sufferes because it is not in the same drug class as Xanax, Valium or other drugs that are considered risky to those prone to addiction.

Here is some more information on it if you are interested http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-i02.html

I have had panic attacks for 15 years on and off and the symptoms you describe are exactly like mine. One of the "tricks" I learned to cope with these was found in a book called "Hope and Help for your Nerves" that tells panic sufferers to breathe in and out of a paper bag. As crazy as it sounds, breating Carbon Dioxide back into the body decreases the panic symptoms because it stabilizes your blood gasses. It definitely helps.