Notices

Advice needed with social anxiety situation

Old 06-27-2005, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice needed with social anxiety situation

Hello, I am new and wanted to see if any of you have some advice, it would help alot. I have been suffereing from social anxiety and anxiety in general for a long time. I have been on lexapro off and on, have been consistent with 10mgs for 2 months now but it is not working the same as it used 2, I just feel cloudy and irritated.

Here is my main problem, in class I have extreme social anxiety when having to sit still around people. I have a hard time focusing and am "scared" to look up at what is going on, I sometimes twitch when the teacher or whoever says certain words becuase I am scared to face what is going on. My doctor gave me xanex .25 mg to help but I have to take 4-5 to be able to sit and get through class. I am just really worn down and dont know what to do. Just starting a new session of classes also. I am always scared of people seeing me twitch and noticing me being very anxious and its embarassing. Any tips about overcoming this?

I think a key is to face what is going on around me and try to focus, it is just so hard becuase have been trained not to over the last few years as the anxiety has grown worse and worse. The xanex is almost out also but of couse its just supposed to be temporary, and i only use it 3 times a week in this "social setting" any thoughts appreciated, thank you.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Welcome again to SR, withteeth!!
Have you ever considered some therapy? You actually have quite a few options. I have had social phobia in the past and I even used to have panic attacks. Things that have helped me are: a book called Don't Panic, cognitive-behavioral therapy, biofeedback, and a medication called Inderal. There are also lots of other meds that may be helpful that are far less addictive than Xanax. I wish you the very best!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-27-2005, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with eddie. You need to gain control, because you have lost it along the way. Therapy can help harness your fears and with some work....you can get your life back.

-pedagogue
Old 06-27-2005, 10:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

I agree with ed and ped.

Im not clued up on medication but therapy can help, the only things i used to do was take child to school and go to my therapist which i could only do few times a week. Once i was able to do that i started to focus on a evening class which fair enough i was only able to go twice but it was a start.My other prob was exams so i made sure i did some work at home and went and did my exam which fair enough first time was with a hangover but the next time i did a exam was with no drinking night before.

what im trying to say is build yourself up slowly to how many events you are in socialy,and give your self a time limit which you feel comfortable.. other thing that helped me go outside was i kept my mp3 player and music with me everytime. but you cant have that in class. so i set a limit of time i could be in that room which say was 2 hrs and i sat either beside the door at front or right at the back..

i have now understood why i find it hard to be with people is a help also, so there is hope there teeth. good luck.

anyway hope that helps.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

here is a couple of links which may help..

http://socialanxiety.factsforhealth.org/treatment.html

http://www.social-anxiety-network.com/
Old 06-28-2005, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you for the welcome and advice/links. Social anxiety really wears you down, i am trying to face my fears in the eye but tis very hard, taking it day by day for now. thanks
Old 06-29-2005, 04:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome, withteeth!! Keep in touch, OK?

Love and hugs,
Eddie