Notices

can someone be bipolar and in denial?

Old 06-26-2005, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

can someone be bipolar and in denial?

My alcoholic ( 6 weeks sober) daughter has been committed to the psych ward of hospital. The psychiatrist thinks she might be bi-polar.

She says she is perfectly fine, even though her behaviour for the 10 days leading up to the hospitalization was very manic. (I had to call the police it was so bad). She says the strange behaviour was due to the Zoloft and Ativan that the family doctor had prescribed for her. She is now off the Zoloft and Ativan and they have her on Celexa and Zyprexa. She says she is not crazy, and not bi-polar.

My question is: can someone be bi-polar even though they themselves claim to be fine? (is it common for bi-polars to be in denial?) Also, is it possible that the combo of Zoloft and Ativan may have caused the manic behaviour?
Also, is there any definitive tests that "prove" someone is bi-polar?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Robin
Old 06-26-2005, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Never underestimate the power of denial!

Many times people do not want the stigma, so they just deny everything.

Only a trained professional can diagnose bi-polar (typically it takes multiple sessions because bi-polar is often confused with quite a few other diagnosis')....with that being said...having manic episodes definately rules out a number of things, though I'd be interested to see a 'tox report because many times manic-like symptoms can be due to covert substance abuse.

I'll leave the meds explanation up to a prof.

-pedagogue
Old 06-27-2005, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The Eternal Butterfly...

I'm bipolar and as far as I'm concerned, denial is bipolar's cousin. Really, it's never easy to admit or accept that something is wrong, that you're ill when there are no physical symptoms (obvious ones) and when most times you feel so alive. It isn't easy to confront mental illness.

There is no definitive test, as a matter of fact it been proven (I'll quote the stats when I have them at hand) that many times bipolar is wrongly diagnosed. It takes time and patience to thrive with bipolar. It takes alot of love and understanding. As a bipolar person I want to thank you for seeking your daughter's interest because I know how difficult I used to be and can still be. I know that I was the most frustrating and overwhelming person at times and I want to thank you because it feels like you've helped me and showed me some patience.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Many thanks for the feedback.

My daughter has been released today and she was in good spirits. She has been compliant about taking her meds today (even though she complained a bit about being on an "anti-psychotic"). So, for today I am hopeful that this combination of meds will help to keep her behaviour a bit closer to "normal" than it was for the past month. (whatever "normal" is, I'm not really sure)

I suspect that the meds are helping to keep her underlying mood and mental illness issues under control, which means that she will be less likely to return to drinking (hopefully)

Robin
Old 07-05-2005, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thechicksaysno, would you be able to elaborate about bipolar being mis-diagnosed? I am dealing with a situation with my husband - a man that doesn't drink or smoke or drug (never has) that just can't understand what he's doing makes NO sense at all - and he appears manic to me - I went on a local bipolar board and he had every single one of the symptoms at times - but it's like he's blind about how he's acting. But when he was less manic, we were able to talk and he was aware that how he was acting was bizarre.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Spiritual manic

My two cents. Keep the change.

Here is what a manic female can say by own battle. First thing I strongly believe that a true manic when not having an episode feels like a burden to everyone. I call it a complex, but we all have lonely hearts and feel and are very misunderstood. Is your daughter creative, is she "scattered" ARE HER MOODS SO STRONG THEY EFFECT AND CAN BE INSTANTLY READ BY THOSE AROUND HER.? sORRY IF THIS ALL SOUNDS BIZARRE BUT I was raised by a mother and father who always said and and instilled in us that any mental health issue is only a pity party and a cop out. It took me 6 years to tell them , and about 3 to accept and own it myself. I now know for a fact I even had it as a child. I hid it so well. I hurt in hiding or my dad would say "wah wah" have a pity party. It cut to my core I even recall these words as early as 4 or 5. So I hope you can find some help or direction in my "two cents" God Bless it is a long road if she is a bi-polar ENCOURAGEMENT is the key in helping and showing her your belief in her. One more thing I never recognize my own manic episodes. My "shrink" says all he has to do is ask if I respond with a quick "no" I'm in an episode otherwise I begin to analyze my behavior. If I am arrogant really "cocky" and sure of myself. I'm manic. The Lord is what gets me by. So may the lord guide you and give you strength. much empathy and for your heart and sole. - B
Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oy Vey....manic is more than answering quickly or being cocky! I hope he has more to base his diagnosis on than this! I had a professor that likened mania to an orgasm....she said much like an orgasm....you'd know if you had a manic episode. If you aren't sure....you most likely didn't have one. (She was a riot!)

-pedagogue
Old 07-14-2005, 08:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Reikihelps

My question is: can someone be bi-polar even though they themselves claim to be fine? (is it common for bi-polars to be in denial?)
If you aren't sure....you most likely didn't have one
Well....I know this much - if there is psychosis involved sometimes a person doesn't remember the episode. That has happened repeatedly with our loved one. That's why breaking through the denial is so unbelievably difficult. It's very easy to deny something ya can't remember.
Boy, those of us around the loved one can remember though!
Just as an aside - an excellent forum for info on bipolar disorder is called Mood Garden.
Give it a whirl.
best wishes,
Reikihelps
Old 07-15-2005, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Doube-Edged

When I get manic I pretty much act like I'm on coke. Pretty obvious to everyone--but oddly I usually say "I feel fine/good/faaabulous" Or I'm just nuts/psychotic. Bi-polar comes in a huge variety though. Not eveyone is the same and cycles differ in terms of duration/intensity/intensity of low vs.high and so many other things. Sadfly its also very often mis-diagnosed because doctors don't always get to see both the high and low. I would say se could easily be 'in denial" or just not even understand the "manic" state. I would talk to a psychologist and get a third opinion.

(Also the Zyprexa could really help with this--I was on that and Effexor when I was actually getting treatment).
Old 07-17-2005, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Well, the psychiatrist who treated my daughter when she was in the psych ward told me they cannot diagnose bi-polar based on one manic episode. So they have given her a label of "Borderline Personality Disorder". However, they have her taking Zyprexa, which is a medication that is given to bi-polars and schitzophrenics. She is doing better since being on the Zyprexa... so far, so good.

spiritual manic - your comments really struck a chord with me. "Complex, creative, and scattered" is a perfect description of my daughter since she was a little girl. I've been trying to be more understanding of her behaviour - I keep reminding myself that she is suffering and she would behave better if she could... Thanks for your perspective.

reiki - yes, it is sometimes so hard to deal with her because her memory of things is so much at odds with mine. I have learned that arguing is the worst possible thing I could do... I find that working my Alanon program is helping me to stay sane while trying to deal with this... Sometimes I get so angry and I feel hopeless and stuck... At times like that, I try to remember to turn everything over to my higher power.

Robin
Old 07-17-2005, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

they said that I was bi polar in one session and gave me these pills that I took everyday for two weeks all I could do was sleep and felt like a walking zombie so I took myself off of them. That was probably the best decission that I made, I can deal with life on lifes terms but it takes a lot of work.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Reikihelps

yes, it is sometimes so hard to deal with her because her memory of things is so much at odds with mine. I find that working my Alanon program is helping me to stay sane while trying to deal with this... Sometimes I get so angry and I feel hopeless and stuck... At times like that, I try to remember to turn everything over to my higher power.
Boy. My son's perception is very different than mine too. I find that soooooooo frustrating. Thanks for your post. It helped me a lot today.
((best wishes))
Reikihelps
Old 08-29-2005, 09:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

zoloft can worsen bipolar disease, makes youmore manic. Your daughter probably just does not konw any different that is why she says she is fine. To her the behaviour has become part of her norm, but to others it is NOT normal. Bipolar is diagnosed like other psychiatric disorders by traits.