Notices

Sick and Tired of Changing Meds!!!

Old 06-26-2005, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
worriedsick

Sick and Tired of Changing Meds!!!

I haven't been on this group to long, I am not even sure is I ever introduced myself, I hope not, I don't want to repeat it again for your sake. I am a 47 yr. old with bipolar,add,ptsd,panic,anxiety disorders. I have been taking differnt meds since I was 34. Before that I was a big time alcoholic, didn't know I had a disorder, just alot of anxiety. I feel like giving up on the drugs, how many do I have to try, I have tried every drug out there except for zyprexa. I have gained so much weight on these drugs, never was heavy, I hate it.. Well I had 2 breakdowns or whatever you want to call them within 2 weeks, I have no insurance. So I had to go to a terrible place, not like other hospitals I have been in. So I only stayed one night. They did nothing for me! They made you sit in a er setting in a recliner for 23 hours, with alot of different people that were mostly there for being arrested drugs, dwis, my pdoc told me to go there, I had admitted myself after 3 days of my family begging me to go. It was horrible, you couldn't even walk around. Nothing cold to drink, there was a water fountain, that was like warm ****, and people were spitting in it and burping in it. When they brush they're teeth in it, I just about died. There was a coed bathroom. Can you imagine sitting in a chair for 23 years. I went there for therapy,support. I signed a 4 hour dr.release me form, he said no of course. I had to spend the night in that awful place. The next day a new doc, told me if I wasn't going to hurt myself or anyone else I could go home. (Yeah) Went to mom's stay there to rest and get better, went back home to soon. Was only home 3 days, had another breakdown. Back at mom's, my pdoc is changing my meds, taking me off cymbalta90mg and putting me on celexa. Added risperdal for the racing thoughts, (both weight gainers) still on klonopin 3mg.. daily,trazodone 150 to sleep, you know I haven't found anything that has made me feel better really, it seems like you never get better, you have to try and manage your symptons. When is enough, enough. How many more breakdowns, how many more med changes. I just fill like throwing all away and start drinking again.
It sucks for everyone out there with these disorders.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi (((Worriedsick))),
I am not bipolar...my pdoc really worked hard with me and he came to the conclusion that I'm not bipolar, but depressed with ptsd, anxiety and panic disorder (i'm also agoraphobic when my panic is out of control).
I have been in and out of therapy since 1992 and been put on just about every anti-depressant drug there is. Yes, most do cause weight gain and that in itself is very discouraging...but I wouldn't of minded so much if the drug was helping my brain.
I was on klonopin and xanax...I liked the xanax but had my script bottle stolen from my purse and my pdoc said too bad, gotta wait til next month. I was forced into withdrawals but got thru them in few days and since then I haven't taken any meds.
That was two years ago. I still have bad days and panic attacks but I'm learning to deal with them in other ways.
I feel for you...I know most people with mood disorders need to be on meds.
I pray for you that your doctors find something that helps you. Remember to get some form of exercise each day...that does help.
I was put on prozac in 1993 and it worked like a miracle...after a year and half it stopped doing the trick...I went from one med to another looking for that same miracle and haven't found it yet. I hope you do.
(((Worriedsick))) you're in my thoughts and prayer.
Take good care of You.
Mia
Old 06-26-2005, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkdaway
Hi (((Worriedsick))),
...I liked the xanax but had my script bottle stolen from my purse and my pdoc said too bad, gotta wait til next month. I was forced into withdrawals but got thru them in few days and since then I haven't taken any meds.

That was two years ago. I still have bad days and panic attacks but I'm learning to deal with them in other ways.
Just to clarify....Xanax is considered a Class IV controlled substance and is a benzo, which is important to know because it can be habit forming and is frequently abused. (thus why the pdoc wouldn't provide more).

Congratulations for starting to develop other coping skills in addition to (and hopefully replacing) the Xanax.

-pedagogue
Old 06-26-2005, 10:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi (((Ped))),
yea I went thru withdrawls from the xanax..especially since I was on it for over a year and I took 2-4 one mgs everyday. Didn't even know I had a dependancy to them either til I went without.
Haven't had any since I had them stolen from me and I'm ok with that....sometimes I wish I had them because of the panic but since I don't I've learned how to work through the panic...ain't fun at all, very scary when in the midst of it but concentrating on my breathing helps me the most.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

How do you work through the panic? It always makes me want to run from where I am but if I do then the panic feels worse.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi, Na4today,, oh yeah, I have been struggling reallybad withpanic attacks. My anxiety swings all over the place. Mostly the high side. I am fighting anxiety all the time. fearing a panic attack. This morning, I began to have a panic attack, because I had to go to my in-laws house, they are both sick, and needed my help to care for them. Well we have never gotten along, so I said I'd go, because they asked, and when the time came, I realized I had to spend 4 hours with them, andthe panic set in. I paced, and paced, which is what I often do when feeling that way. I can't take this, they are so bad. I know that I frighten myself into them. Seems like I am having trouble going anywhere outside the house without getting a panic attack.

My husband is doing his best to understand, but as you can understand, it is difficult if you have never had a panic attack, to get what happens. This morning he was like, just stop, relax.... Well, at that moment, I couldn't just relax..

I learned some breathing techniques a few years ago from a therapist I saw that specialized in relaxation. He was wonderful, and I did learn from him, and it has to some extent helped me, but overall, I have not been able to get control of the whole anxiety feeling. I am really afraid of becoming a prisoner in my home. I'm not there yet, but if I don't get some control, I could easily go there. The therapist I used to see moved from the area, or I'd definately go see him..

I have heard that Lucinda Bassett is a big help. She wrote books and has tapes out for anxiety help. Have you heard of her?? I guess her books and tapes can really, really help. But,,, the cost of her stuff is way beyond what I can aford to pay. i guess it costs a couple hundred dollars on ebay for used stuff.. But that is a suggestion, if you have the money. I would also suggest calling around to find out if you have any doctors in your area that specialize in relaxation. They can also really help.

I hope this was ok to post. It may be off the subject a it, but if you are struggling with the anxiety, here's some suggestions. I just can't afford them right now, and I can't find a good therapist that does the breathing in my area. Good Luck, and please let me know how things turn out for you, or what you decide to do..

Love, becky
Old 06-30-2005, 12:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

worried sick-- please don''t chuck all of your meds and start drinking again. It does suck really bad for anyone with these disorders, you are right... But we can't give up. WE have to keep fighting and changing meds if that is what is necessary. I have battled severe anxiety for as long as I can remember, I have also tried almost every anti-depressant, anti-anxiety med out there. We just have to keep searching.
I was pretty depressed for the same reason, then I just decided that there is nothing I cna do, there has to be a med. out there that will help me. It's just a matter of going through all that crap to find the right one. I have spent SO much money on meds. that I get the script, get it filled, take it for a week, or so, and it has some effect I just can't deal with, so they switch me, and I get another script, and throw out the last one, and the vicious cycle continues.. But people react differently to all
meds.

Sure sounds alot to me like you are on some downers, and maybe that is why you are feeling worse. The trazadone and the klonopin can both be downers, now that is how I FELL, and what I think.. I am not a doctor.. But maybe you should ask your doc. about that. I think it's extra hard to treat us that have anxiety and depression, because they give you a downer (in a sense) for the anxiety, to relax us, and an upper (again, somewhat of an upper) for the depression, and I believe those meds do a battle within us... I could be wrong, yeah, wouldn't be the first time.

Well, please let us know how your doing.. Love, Becky
Old 06-30-2005, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Thanks Becky, I don't have the money for it either, I have put is in the hole big time. I think I will check around for something and if i find anything interesting i will let you know.
kathy
Old 07-02-2005, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
worriedsick

Thank You

Thanks everyone for the encouraging advice, problem is I am back at home now, my bf lives with me. I don't think he understands my illness at all. I thinks he wishes I go back to my mothers. We havent' been getting along that well even before the breakdown. I think he actually is one of my stressors. I don't know what to do my , pd doc says I need to make changes if he is the problem.