Notices

Switching depression medications.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Switching depression medications.

My doc and I are thinking about switching me from Zoloft to Wellbutrin. Has anyone done this switch? I have gained a lot of weight while on the Zoloft and would like to see if getting on something else would help. I am interested in other people's experience with these medications for depression, particularly in sobriety. I have been sober for 16 months.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2005, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I've been on loads of different anti-depressants, but they never worked because I insisted on still smoking pot and drinking!! Once I finally quit that things have been much better. I currently take both Effexor and Wellbutran and it is working very well. I have found some inner peace that hasn't been there before, it's hard to say if it's the drugs or the lack of drugs though! I did have a very seroious problem with clinical depression even beyond the drinking and smoking. I was hospitalized a couple of times, the second time after a suicide attempt. Depression runs very strong in my family, my Dad and both my brothers take Effexor. And most of both sides of my extended family are on antidepressants as well. I know this really didn't answer your question, but I'm having a hard time getting to sleep tonite, so I'm posting. I'll stop rambling now!!! Take care.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I haven't gone from Zoloft to Wellbutrin.But I do know that they are different types of antidepressants. They deal with different brain transmitters. I am no expert on this at all-just going by what I've read. If you are on an SSRI, as long as it affects the same brain chemical and you stay at the same dose-you should be able to switch with no real problems. Since Wellbutrin is different than Zoloft, I'm not sure what to do there.
Here's from www.crazymeds.org under All About Antidepressants:

"If you do have to switch meds because of either poop-out or adverse effects, or it just wasn't the right neurotransmitter, keep in mind that mileage may vary considerably. Sometimes you won't notice a thing, say if you move between Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide) and either Lexapro (escitalopram oxalate) and Prozac (fluoxetine hydrochloride), just as long as the dosages are in line. But with other meds, especially if you're crossing the boundary of neurotransmitters, you'll run into all sorts of fun as your brain adjusts to the switch. If you do change from a med that works on one neurotransmitter to another, it's best to get completely clean of the first med before starting the next, otherwise you'll risk the side effects of a new med on top of the side effects of discontinuing an old med. "

Hopefully someone with experience will answer. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Thanks for the info, guys. So far, all I am doing is reducing the amount of Zoloft I am taking. I am experiencing a little bit of discomfort from that, but nothing too serious. I actually feel like I have a little bit more energy than I did, but it has only been a week, so I could be imagining it.

Question: What is effexor? Is it also an anti-depressant? Is it different than Zoloft or Wellbutrin? I know that those two work on completely different neuro-transmitters, but I don't know about Effexor. Just curious.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lulu70, check out the site www.crazymeds.org .It is the mother of all psych med sites-it will answer all your questions about all the antidepressants-what they do, what type they are, side effects, how to get off them, how to go on them, etc, etc, everything. And all other kinds of psych meds. Antipsychotics, anticonvulants, off label usage-it's got it all. Just click on the med in the frame and you'll get it all.

Effexor is an antidepressant. It is a multiple reuptake inhibitor-this from www.crazymeds.org : This site has links to other sites and the company site as well.
"Effexor (venlafaxine hydrochloride). Yet for many people it is a godsend, because the combination of serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake is literally just what the doctor ordered for the darkest of depressions. Of course Effexor (venlafaxine hydrochloride) has to be complicated about it, it can't just work on everything all at once from the beginning. Oh, no. First it starts to work on your serotonin. Then somewhere around 200 mg a day it starts to work on norepinephrine. Then around 300 mg a day it starts to work on your dopamine. Mileage will vary for each individual, and there's no guarantee on getting all that much dopamine action. Of course as you up your dosage to get to the next neurotransmitter, you keep pushing the previous neurotransmitter, whether you need more action on them or not. And that's what leads to problems,..."

As stated Effexor is a godsend for some people-for the darkest of depressions because as it says above it works on all three transmitters. But it also has the reputation of having the hardest discontinuation syndrome of them all. I've never taken effexor-I'd be interested to hear from someone who has.
Good luck.-Oh your question about the difference between Effexor and Zoloft and Wellbutrin, well Zoloft is an SSRI, it works on serotonin. Wellbutrin is a multiple reuptake inhibitor it works on two transmitters, dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi lulu
I took effexor last week and ended up calling an ambulance for myself. My BP and heart rate went sky high. Now that was me, although eddie z said that effexor is know to raise your blood pressure. I just got very sick for mit.
Like I said, THAT WAS ME (I don't want anyone yelling at me) I have heard of effexor helping people too...
I am sensetive to all meds.
I was on zoloft and welbutrin, and those 2 together seem to be a good mix for me, See the webutrin made my anxiety a bit higher, but it worked very well for my depression, and the zoloft brought me "down" so my anxiety wasn't so high. I was on welbutrin XL , which is a time release med. so you only have to take it in the am. I also had soem trouble sleeping on welbutrin, until I started the zoloft too.
So that was a good combo for me.

Please let us know how you do... It is a good med though, it sure worked to make me feel better. It CAN help you lose a little weight to, or at least maintain.
I guess they call it a designer anti-depressant, they made the welbutrin so it has all the 'ggood" effects of the "older" antidepressants", but isn't supposed to have the same old side effects,, like weight gain..

That's MY experience with it... Love, Becky