Notices

I'm Losing My Mind

Old 06-20-2005, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down I'm Losing My Mind

I am bored outta my mind. I dont know what to do with myself. I try cleaning the house and I just stop and come to the computer to escape reality (I'm on the computer for hours & hours a day). Even my husband is boring to me. I feel bad because he just wants my company and I caint give it to him.

The only good part about this is that I know that no amount of drugs can help me right now so I dont even bother to look for it. This is beyond drugs. I dont even know what this is.

What is it you guys do to help you thru your bordom? Please respond, anything will help. I am getting more & more depressed and I hate this.

Maybe its time to see a Shrink.
Forever Grateful
Debby
Old 06-20-2005, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by Debby
Maybe its time to see a Shrink.
How 'bout, "It's time to see a Shrink?" Sounds like classic symptom of major depression—anhedonia, which means "without pleasure." You're not interested in anything, can't find pleasure or fun in anything. Right? I've suffered from major depression on and off for decades, but now that I'm on the right meds, I've been depression-free for about a year now! So give a doctor a call, eh?

And congratulations on staying clean, too!!!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-20-2005, 07:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's what I thought when I read your post (anhedonia), at least it 'feels' like that.

How are you sleeping?
How would you describe your overall mood?
Do you have an increase/decrease/no change in your irritability?
Has you had a weight/appetite change?
How is your energy level?
How is your ability to think....clear, cluttered, rushed, scattered, etc?
How do you feel about yourself...happy, sad, guilty, happy, etc?

-pedagogue
Old 06-21-2005, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes - get help! depression and anxiety sounds like to me. boredom can make me feel anxious.

your obvisiouly got concerns hence you being in this forum - so maybe think about getting into action and feeling good again!!!?

I did - now i love my life.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great Answer....

Originally Posted by eddie z.
Sounds like classic symptom of major depression—anhedonia, which means "without pleasure." You're not interested in anything, can't find pleasure or fun in anything. Right?

I am so glad to finally see someone place a name to exactly what I feel. "Anhedonia" is exactly, dead on what my feelings are. The sad thing is that I am seeing a doctor (shrink) and we have never talked about the name of what it is that I am truly SUFFERING with or from. Thank goodness, it has not ruined my clean and sober time, but it certainly not from the lack of trying. I, for now, am just to damn bull headed to cave into these feelings and use them as an excuse to throw away my eight months, four days of clean and sober time.

Thank you so very much for your response and your label that finally gives a name to my plight. SR never ceases to amaze me with the tons of valuable information that people post here every day. Most of the time with my depression, social anxiety and my episodes of schizophrenia, I truly rely on this site for the inspiration to continue on a great deal of the time.

Best wishes and good luck to all,

G-Force

Last edited by pedagogue; 06-21-2005 at 03:48 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 06-21-2005, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad we could help, even in a small way. This may be a good way to broach the topic with your shrink, bringing up the term. Each therapist has their own style, and each patient has their own way they want to interact....so letting your therapist know what you want to talk about, or need clarification about, can be very helpful. Use this opportunity as a way to both educate yourself and your therapist about things you want to know about.

-pedagogue
Old 06-21-2005, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Congratulations on eight months, G-force!!! And you're welcome, of course. I'm sorry you're not doing so great. pedagogue is right. Sometimes we have to take charge with the professionals taking care of us. We pay them, after all, so we're the boss, eh? Do take care!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-22-2005, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for your wonderful words of wisdom and encouragement. It seems as though both my Psychiatrist and Therapist shy away from placing labels on what's going on in my head. I am not their average patient, education wise, and I would prefer that they just go ahead and label it and get it out on the table. I believe that their reasoning is that so many patients begin to degrade in condition if they are told they are bi-polar, schizophrenic, or what ever. This, however, will give me the oppurtunity to just get it all out on the table and talk it all out.

Anyhow, thank you once again and I will hang tough.....

G-Force
Old 06-22-2005, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome once again. LOL. Sounds like your psych and therapist suffer from the same sort of ambivalence I have towards diagnoses. We don't want to stigmatize people with a potentially negative label and yet we do want to know what we're dealing with. I'm personally slightly obsessed with knowing "what is wrong with me," but then when I hear the label I often reject it. LOL.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-22-2005, 11:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Some therapists worry that if they label you, they will box themselves in. I think it is important to differentiate a working diagnosis from a primary/secondary diagnosis. Also, they worry that the patient will self-diagnose and treat. It is important to educate yourself, but sometimes people go to far and obsess over things, and then symptoms/issues manifest from the 'information', and should not be there.

I think that if you address your concerns with your doctors, they can address your issues, and hopefully you can both feel more comfortable with the work you are doing.

-pedagogue
Old 06-27-2005, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I recommend going to the gym in addition to meds. I just found out that if I volunteer for 4 hours a week, my fees will be $10/month.
I have been bored...and sleeping too much.
Further, excercise is a natural anti-depressant (I take my meds faithfully too)
Old 06-27-2005, 03:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No expectations!

liveweyerd,
Hey! Good to see you back here! When did you come to be in "mid-Florida?"

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-27-2005, 04:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Exercise is such a good one!! Gotta do more of it myself because I know it will make me feel so much better about everything. It's a lot harder to do than taking a pill but the benefits of good exercise cover all the bases for me.

I became a puter addict for the first year of my sobriety... it's better than drinking/using!! Then I went on to ice cream and donuts which combined with the puter addiction gave me the symptoms of a food addict, namely a greatly expanded waistline! Getting clean is a process.. I really recommend exercise before more medicating.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Hmm not sure if i can help with suggestion for bordom i think its a state of mind. from my childhood i was told that you cant be bored there has to be somthing to do..

i guess from all of that i conditioned myself not to ever be bored or im not bored anyone else like this? i know my dad is the same hes the one who shuved this down my throat. i think i mixed up being bored with another feeling doh! anyway yes i could prob watch paint dry as i guess its somthing to do..

sry debby not trying to scorn you or nothing its the way i was brung up and hope you dont take offence to what i said.

mitch has come out with a good thought..
Old 06-28-2005, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Those who know me have heard this before but another good excercise is to smile and say "Hi, how are you" to anyone who comes within 10 feet of you. I learned to do this working in the hospitality industry but I am amazed at the affect it has on me and within me. I end up feeling friendly with myself.