Not sure...

Old 10-22-2002, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Not sure...

I’m new to this board and to Al-Anon. I don’t want to sound ignorant, but I’m not sure if I should keep attending meetings. My A is a great guy, even when he drank (he’s now in recovery). I can honestly say his drinking never caused any problems. He went to work, paid his bills, coached baseball, met his responsibilities with his son. He never hurt me, never ignored me, always paid attention to his son and my daughter. My main reason for going to meetings was to be supportative of him – to understand what he is going through. Am I there for the wrong reasons? Some of their stories are so horrible, scary, tragic, I feel guilty being there.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Hi Darla,

I'm not sure how old you are or how long you've been with your A, but my first thought is that alcoholism is a progressive disease. What you see now might not be the end result. Hopefully things will continue to get better, but as with my son it got much much worse over a 10 year period.

Anything you learn in Alanon can help with any relationship. You don't have to feel bad about not being in the same place they are. I've even used some of what I've learned here to communicate with my employees better. I've learned to respect others more.

I really think it would help you deal with the changes you are going through right now.

Hugs,
MG

Old 10-22-2002, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi there. I wanted to tell you that I wish I would have found the Al-Anon program 20 yrs. ago. In just the short time I have been in this program and working these concepts for me and in my life I have noticed a big difference in my work and relationships, my parenting, my family, and myself. I don't know your family of origin, but most people can use the key concepts and relate to them in one stage of life or another.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

Darla,

I can honestly say that Al Anon saved my life... and I have never lived in active alcoholism. The program gave me tools for living and for relationships. I use al anon in EVERYTHING. It helps me in my work, my neighborhood, my church group, dealing with my family, my old friends, my new friends, my boyfriend, my teenage3 sons and their friends - Everywhere!

The tools are solid and they work. All the time, without fail, whenever and wherever you wish to apply them. My life is fuller, richer and happier as a result of this program.

Guess you could say I am HOOKED on it, and want to share it whenever and wherever possible. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain!

Osier59