Just for fun,word differences between UK/USA

Old 06-18-2005, 04:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just for fun,word differences between UK/USA

I know this isn't on the subject of this forum,but its kind of interesting. The English words that the different countries use all have such different meanings. This is long.
<CENTER>One Meaning - Two Words

</CENTER><CENTER><TABLE width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="70%">Definition</TH><TH width="15%">UK Word</TH><TH width="15%">USA Word</TH></TR><TR><TD class=main>11th June 1998</TD><TD>11/06/98</TD><TD>06/11/98</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>the dot at the end of a sentence</TD><TD>full stop</TD><TD>period</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>unit of paper currency</TD><TD>note</TD><TD>bill</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>mathematics</TD><TD>maths</TD><TD>math</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>the season after summer</TD><TD>autumn</TD><TD>fall</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>day when offices are closed</TD><TD>bank holiday</TD><TD>legal holiday</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>small pointed thing used to pin papers onto walls</TD><TD>drawing pin</TD><TD>thumb tack</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>mark made when something is correct or selected</TD><TD>tick</TD><TD>check</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>the name of the final letter of the alphabet</TD><TD>zed</TD><TD>zee</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>angry</TD><TD>pissed off</TD><TD>pissed</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

<CENTER><TABLE width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="70%">Definition</TH><TH width="15%">UK Word</TH><TH width="15%">USA Word</TH></TR><TR><TD class=main>third piece of a male's suit that goes between
the jacket and the shirt</TD><TD>waist coat</TD><TD>vest</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>what women wear over their legs</TD><TD>tights</TD><TD>(panty) hose</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>what men wear over their legs</TD><TD>trousers</TD><TD>pants</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>a type of soft shoe used in sports or for casual wear</TD><TD>trainers,
plimsolls</TD><TD>sneakers</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>strap to hold up a man's trousers / pants</TD><TD>braces</TD><TD>suspenders</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>item to hold up stockings</TD><TD>suspenders</TD><TD>garters</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>item of clothing worn in house at night</TD><TD>dressing gown</TD><TD>bathrobe</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>a thin cloth from Arabia</TD><TD>muslin</TD><TD>cheesecloth</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>large bag carried by females</TD><TD>hand bag</TD><TD>purse</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>container carried by females for money</TD><TD>purse</TD><TD>pocket book</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>what you put in a baby's mouth</TD><TD>dummy</TD><TD>pacifier</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>what you put around a baby's bottom</TD><TD>nappy</TD><TD>diaper</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

<CENTER><TABLE width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="70%">Definition</TH><TH width="15%">UK Word</TH><TH width="15%">USA Word</TH></TR><TR><TD class=main>the area next to a street where pedestrians walk</TD><TD>pavement</TD><TD>sidewalk</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>place to cross a street on foot</TD><TD>pedestrian crossing</TD><TD>crosswalk</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>place from where goods are bought</TD><TD>shop</TD><TD>store</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>place from where medicines are bought</TD><TD>chemist</TD><TD>drug store</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>payment in a restaurant</TD><TD>bill</TD><TD>check</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>place where alcoholic drinks are bought</TD><TD>off licence</TD><TD>liquor store</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>shop / store selling metal goods and tools</TD><TD>ironmonger</TD><TD>hardware store</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>the business part of a city</TD><TD>town centre</TD><TD>downtown</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>law enforcement officer</TD><TD>copper</TD><TD>cop</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>what there was before email</TD><TD>post</TD><TD>mail</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>code used when sorting mail / post</TD><TD>postcode</TD><TD>zip code</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>telephone call where the person called pays</TD><TD>reverse charge</TD><TD>collect call</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>free telephone call paid by company</TD><TD>free phone</TD><TD>toll free</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>company on the WWW</TD><TD>.co.uk</TD><TD>.com</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

<CENTER><TABLE width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="70%">Definition</TH><TH width="15%">UK Word</TH><TH width="15%">USA Word</TH></TR><TR><TD class=main>four wheeled private vehicle</TD><TD>car</TD><TD>automobile</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>front of a car / automobile</TD><TD>bonnet</TD><TD>hood</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>rear compartment of a car / automobile</TD><TD>boot</TD><TD>trunk</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>metal plate with number on a vehicle</TD><TD>number plate</TD><TD>license plate</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>long piece of metal used for radio reception</TD><TD>aerial</TD><TD>antenna</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>metal tool for tightening nuts and bolts</TD><TD>spanner</TD><TD>wrench</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>glass in front of a car</TD><TD>windscreen</TD><TD>windshield</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>metal over the wheel to keep mud off</TD><TD>mud guard
(wing)</TD><TD>fender</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>multi-lane road for cars</TD><TD>motorway</TD><TD>freeway</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>road passing over another</TD><TD>flyover</TD><TD>overpass</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>heavy goods vehicle</TD><TD>lorry</TD><TD>truck</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>fuel for vehicles</TD><TD>petrol</TD><TD>gasoline</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>place to buy fuel</TD><TD>petrol station</TD><TD>gas station</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>area to stop off a major road </TD><TD>lay-by</TD><TD>pull-off</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>metal container in street for unwanted items </TD><TD>skip</TD><TD>dumpster</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>ticket for one journey</TD><TD>single</TD><TD>one way</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>ticket for two journeys: out and back</TD><TD>return</TD><TD>round trip</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>type of transport run on metal rails</TD><TD>railway</TD><TD>railroad</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>a beam supporting railway / railroad tracks</TD><TD>sleeper</TD><TD>tie</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

<CENTER><TABLE width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="70%">Definition</TH><TH width="15%">UK Word</TH><TH width="15%">USA Word</TH></TR><TR><TD class=main>what you eat with milk, tea or coffee</TD><TD>biscuit</TD><TD>cookie</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>what you put on bread</TD><TD>jam</TD><TD>jelly</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>a gelatinous dessert</TD><TD>jelly</TD><TD>jell-O</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>crunchy thin-sliced fried potatoes</TD><TD>crisps</TD><TD>chips</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>fried stick-shaped potatoes</TD><TD>chips</TD><TD>french fries</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>a large vessel for juice or water</TD><TD>jug</TD><TD>pitcher</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>sweet things given to children to rot their teeth</TD><TD>sweets</TD><TD>candy</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>rolled up cake with jam / jelly in the middle</TD><TD>Swiss roll</TD><TD>jelly roll</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>a sugary liquid like honey</TD><TD>treacle</TD><TD>molasses</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>flavoured ice on a stick</TD><TD>lolly</TD><TD>popsicle</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>soft long green vegetable</TD><TD>marrow</TD><TD>squash</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>meat passed through a device that breaks it up into little pieces</TD><TD>mince</TD><TD>ground meat</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>cereal made from oats, sugar and milk</TD><TD>porridge</TD><TD>oatmeal</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>Swiss cereal made from oats</TD><TD>muesli</TD><TD>granola</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>fluffy sweet item for children</TD><TD>candy floss</TD><TD>cotton candy</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

<CENTER><TABLE width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="70%">Definition</TH><TH width="15%">UK Word</TH><TH width="15%">USA Word</TH></TR><TR><TD class=main>arthropod with six legs</TD><TD>insect</TD><TD>bug</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>red insect / bug with black spots</TD><TD>ladybird</TD><TD>ladybug</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>dwelling in a large building</TD><TD>flat</TD><TD>apartment</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>device for obtaining water</TD><TD>tap</TD><TD>faucet</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>container for household waste</TD><TD>rubbish bin</TD><TD>trash can</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>portable battery-operated light source</TD><TD>torch</TD><TD>flashlight</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>the floor of a building that is level with the ground</TD><TD>ground floor</TD><TD>first floor</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>the floor of a building that is one level above the ground</TD><TD>first floor</TD><TD>second floor</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>device for carrying people between floors of a building</TD><TD>lift</TD><TD>elevator</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>place where films / movies can be seen</TD><TD>cinema</TD><TD>movie theater</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>a type of house connected to one other</TD><TD>semi-detached house</TD><TD>duplex</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

<CENTER><TABLE width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="70%">Definition</TH><TH width="15%">UK Word</TH><TH width="15%">USA Word</TH></TR><TR><TD class=main>a self contained section of television</TD><TD>programme</TD><TD>show</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>game played on chess board</TD><TD>draughts</TD><TD>checkers</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>contest between two teams</TD><TD>match</TD><TD>game</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>game played by two teams with bats and balls</TD><TD>cricket</TD><TD>baseball</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>player who throws a ball at another player
holding a bat</TD><TD>bowler</TD><TD>pitcher</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>bar on a pivot for children</TD><TD>see-saw</TD><TD>teeter-totter</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>simple game of O and X</TD><TD>noughts and
crosses</TD><TD>tic tac toe</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>a collection of playing cards</TD><TD>pack</TD><TD>deck</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>a portable telephone</TD><TD>mobile</TD><TD>cellular, cell</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>a group of people waiting for their turn</TD><TD>queue</TD><TD>line</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main>the dates of the Second World War</TD><TD>1939 - 1945</TD><TD>1941 - 1945</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>I am sure there are lots of other meanings with the Canadian and Australia meanings.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pheonix

I read Harry Potter and could'nt for the life of me figure out what "treacle" was. Thanks! (what is it used for?)
Old 06-18-2005, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Closethippie, I was in the UK in the late 70's and boy was I lost by the language. The bathroom is called a lu, bars are called pubs. Learning to drive on the other side of the road was an experience in itself. Then asking for directions--"go down the road until you get to the round-about". What's a round-about?? I stayed in a small town in Scotland outside of Aberdeen and there were no refridgerators. They had ice boxes. There was a milk man, a soda man and you went to the meat market every day. You had to shake the milk because it had the cream on top. I couldn't drink it! But I loved it there. It was beautiful. I was there for 2 months living with my cousin.That's all they would give me on my visa, then I had to come home. I really enjoyed my stay there. I met some great people.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Treacle is used in cooking. Sometimes people use "treacle" when they mean "Golden Syrup", if that mean's anything. Kind of like corn syrup, I think, but very sweet. Delicious on pancakes and with sponge pudding.

Do you not have roundabouts in the States?
Old 06-18-2005, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Pheonix

Thank you, Minnie! Hmm, treacle and pancakes..... We don't neccesarily have what you in merry old England call a "roundabout", what we have(at least here in Texas) is better known as a "mixmaster", and yes, it's just as confusing as it sounds!
Old 06-18-2005, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Three more come to mind:

Holiday/Vacation

Fortnight/two weeks

Napkin/Kotex
Old 06-18-2005, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Minnie,there are actually some "roundabouts" in States. What they call "roundabouts". I have never heard the term "mixmasters". That is certainly different. There is a 'roundabout' in Norfolk,Nebraska and one in Sioux City,Iowa,that I know of. Been around both of these and know the people there call them 'roundabouts'.
I love to read about the language differences. There are so many. Just had a mate visit me from Australia. With a British,American and a Australia the wording differences was huge. We had to check a few times as to what word meant what. Cooking terms was something else. Here is a British to American cooking terms. Can't find the Australia,Canadian or South Africian.

BRITISH AMERICAN
AUBERGINE EGGPLANT
BACON RASHER BACON SLICE
BICARBONATE OF SODA BAKING SODA
BISCUITS CRACKERS/COOKIE
BISCUIT MIXTURE COOKIE DOUGH
BLACK CHERRIES BING CHERRIES
BLACK PUDDING BLOOD SAUSAGE
BOILING CHICKEN STEWING CHICKEN
BROAD BEANS FAVA BEANS
1 CABBAGE/LETTUCE 1 HEAD CABBAGE/LETTUCE
CAKE MIXTURE CAKE BATTER
CAPSICUM RED OR GREEN SWEET PEPPER
CAULIFLOWER SPRIG CAULIFLOWERETS
CELERY STICK CELERY STALK
CHICKEN/BEEF CUBE BOUILLON CUBE
CHICORY BELGIAN ENDIVE
CHILI CHILI PEPPER
COCOA POWDER UNSWEETENED COCOA
COOKING APPLE BAKING APPLE
CORNFLOUR CORNSTARCH
COURGETTES SMALL ZUCCHINI
CRYSTALLISED FRUITS CANDIED FRUITS
CRYSTALLISED GINGER CANDIED GINGER
CURLY ENDIVE CHICORY
DEMERERA SUGAR LIGHT BROWN SUGAR (GRANULATED)
DIGESTIVE BISCUITS GRAHAM CRACKERS
DOUBLE CREAM HEAVY CREAM
DRIED BREAD CRUMBS DRY BREAD CRUMBS
DRIED MILK DRY MILK
DRIPPING DRIPPINGS
ESSENCE EXTRACT
FINE BREAD CRUMBS FINE, DRY BREAD CRUMBS
FRESH BEETROOT RAW BEETS
FRESH VEGETABLES RAW VEGETABLES
GAMMON HAM
GINGERNUTS GINGERSNAPS
GROUND NUT OIL PEANUT OIL
HARD COOKED EGG HARD BOILED EGG
HARICOT BEANS NAVY BEANS
HEAD CELERY BUNCH CELERY
ICING FROSTING
ICING SUGAR POWDERED SUGAR
LEAN BACON CANADIAN BACON
OMELETTE OMELET
PICKLED CUCUMBER DILL PICKLE
PLAIN CHOCOLATE SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE
PLAIN FLOUR ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
RAISING AGENT LEAVENING AGENT
ROOT GINGER GINGER ROOT
RUSKS UNSWEETENED ZWIEBACK
SCONES BAKING POWDER BISCUITS
SEMOLINA CREAM OF WHEAT
SHREDDED BEEF SUET CHOPPED BEEF SUET
SINGLE CREAM COFFEE CREAM/HALF and HALF
SOFT BROWN SUGAR LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
SOURED CREAM CULTURED SOUR CREAM
SPRING ONION SCALLION
SULTANAS SEEDLESS WHITE RAISINS
SWEET CANDY
VANILLA POD VANILLA BEAN
MARROW LARGE ZUCCHINI
WATER BISCUITS CRACKERS/MATZOS
WHOLEMEAL WHOLE WHEAT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

British vs American Cooking Terminology -- (Top)

BRITISH AMERICAN
BAKED/UNBAKED PASTRY BAKED/UNBAKED PIESHELL
BAKING TIN BAKING PAN

BASE BOTTOM
COCKTAIL STICK TOOTHPICK
DOUGH OR MIXTURE BATTER
FRYING PAN SKILLET
GREASEPROOF PAPER WAX PAPER
GRILL/GRILLED BROIL/BROILED
GUT FISH CLEAN FISH
KITCHEN PAPER PAPER TOWELS
KNOCK BACK DOUGH PUNCH DOWN DOUGH
MIXER/LIQUIDISER MIXER/BLENDER
MUSLIN CHEESECLOTH
PATTY CASES PASTRY SHELLS
PIPE, USING A FLUTED NOZZLE PIPE, USING A FLUTE NOZZLE
PUDDING BASIN OVEN-PROOF BOWL
STONED PITTED
TOP AND TAIL BERRIES CLEAN BERRIES
WHIP/WHISK EGGS AND CREAM BEAT/WHIP

This is another long post. I do enjoy going on.
Close the pipe,
Old 06-18-2005, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Closethippie, In Syracuse NY we call roundabouts traffic circles. I think you also had a different word for cigarettes, but I can't remember it. I do remember they were very expensive. Also a motorhome/caravan and what was the word for donuts? I just loved that everyone dunked!! The only thing I didn't like there were the hamburgers. When I was in London, my cousin bought me a hamburger from a stand and I think they steamed it because it was almost white. It was awful. Thank God for McDonalds!
Old 06-18-2005, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

English word for cigarettes

Fags - I believe you use that word for gays? I used to have a e-mail pal in Idaho who used to find it hilarious. I found her used of the word "fanny" funny - fanny means womans bits in English. We use bum to mean the bit you sit on.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's right! Oh and I remember fanny! My cousin told me not to say that word because it meant something completely different in England! It's funny how we speak the english language, but yet it's so different. If I had the money, I would go back to the UK on a vacation, oh I mean holiday!
Old 06-18-2005, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"fanny pack" is one of the funniest things I ever heard.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Minnie,when I went to LasVegas first time. I saw all these people walking around with a bum pack on. I heard one of these people say their fanny pack was the wrong colour for her outfit. I about had a fit. Figured out what the word differences was.
I had several people ask me what 'Bobs Your Uncle' meant.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"fanny pack"
Brings to mind saddle bags!!

I still can't get past pants not meaning knickers!

Anyway I'm off for a fag....
Old 06-19-2005, 09:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by minnie
Do you not have roundabouts in the States?
In New England they're called "rotaries" and they're EVERYWHERE !

There are also different colloquialisms...for instance, a "purse" in New England is called a "pocketbook", "soda" is "tonic", and the chocolate or colored sprinkles you put on ice cream are called "jimmies", a "shopping cart" is a "carriage", "grocery store" is "supermarket", "cold cuts" are things like bologna, ham, etc.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

closethippie...the other words I found funny are "automobile" and "teeter totter".... I've never heard anybody refer to their vehicle as an "automobile"...just a car...and I think "teeter totter" is another colloquialism...growing up in Mass. it was always a "see saw." Funny how even the English language within the same country can be different.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Binge poster

You know what -
I should add a third column to that list for Scots!

We were hiring a car in America (it was a brilliant one, white mustang convertible with an engine at least 4 times the size of mine, but I couldn't get the hang of automatic without tying my left foot to the seat) and it took quite a while for the guy to understand why I was asking how do you open the boot? Oh yeah and how do you put the roof down?

Old 06-20-2005, 01:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh please add to list. Think the Scotish translations are great. I do not know many of them. But love to hear them.
Automatic/air conditioning seem to be the standard on cars in the USA. Plus it didn't cost us all that much to rent a car for three weeks. Driving at night bothered me. Having all the lights coming at me from the wrong direction.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

First time I heard my husband say,there is the Lollipop Man. I thought he was mad. Until I found out what he meant.
I have been taking driving lessons. Had 12 so far. Get a kick out of the signs. Like WC. Water closet. You see them on motorways here.
First time my mother in law ask me if I wanted a fairy cake,I choked. I have had so many experiences here. Could write a book. At work some one ask me to get their childs dummy one time. I was lost for words. She had to explain what that meant.
Fun topic.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How about hearing someone at a hotel in the UK asking, "Would you knock me up at 6, please?"
Old 06-20-2005, 03:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingtheline
How about hearing someone at a hotel in the UK asking, "Would you knock me up at 6, please?"
Oh that is a good one! First time I heard a friend say,"she would give me a bell",I thought why? I didn't want a bell,until I learned she was going to phone me later.
I messed up my first job interview over here,big time! By getting the uk/usa words mixed up. I was told by the person doing the interview to meet her on the first floor of this building at at set time in a certain room. The day of the interview,I was there on the first floor. I waited 20 minutes and was rather angry I was stood-up. Upon leaving I met the lady doing the interview and found out I was on the wrong floor. The UK term;the floor of a building that is level with the ground is called first floor. In the US its called first floor. The floor of a building that is one level above the ground in UK is first floor and US is second floor. Needless to say I did get the interview,but didn't get the job. What a embarrassment that was.