Notices

Haven't been around...and worried.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Haven't been around...and worried.

Hey!

I haven't been on the board much lately. I'm proud to report that I am still sober (almost 4 months) and loving it!

Unfortunately, I have not made AA a priority this past month...in fact I haven't been to a meeting in 3 weeks, and I used to go once or twice a week. I don't have any desire to drink right now....but I'm afraid that by being away, I might think about straying from sobriety...because that's what AA has taught me.

I don't know...I just had to get that 'off my chest' and see if you guys think it's reason for concern...or if I'm going fine it shouldn't matter that I'm not going to AA. I think I know what the answer is (that I should go to AA) but lately I have every reason (aka: excuse) not to make a meeting.

Oh well...thanks for listening! I really am feeling great and doing well!
Renee
Old 06-06-2005, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

I am glad to hear you are doing well.

I think since you are questioning if not going to meetings will affect your sobriety then you have probalby answered your own question.

Meetings are a part of my recovery program.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Since you asked...Yes I do think it is a cause for concern.It's been working for you for 4 months ( congrads ) Why stop now? This disease we share is very sneaky and it will creep up on us when we least expect it.Bless, Trish
Old 06-06-2005, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
wingsfreed

Hi Renee, congrats on your sober time, so happy you're feeling good and doing well.

I agree with Paulie and Trish......I know for a fact if you don't keep going you're heading for trouble, it's to hard to do alone, not to good if you get to sure of yourself, boy do I know about that, safety in numbers don't you know, you have to be on guard at all times.

Keep up the wonderful sober life.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hey Renee--IMHO I believe no one can decide what you should do but you. But I can share what happened to me. The first time I tried to get sober, I was very involved in AA for about 4 months. Then, slowly but surely, I started to think I really didn't need it. Gradually, I stopped going to meetings. I stayed sober for almost a year, then I started thinking, "Well, maybe one or two drinks won't hurt." And at first they didn't. However, in no time I was back to my same old habits and I didn't make it back to AA for the next 11 years.

Some people don't need AA to get and stay sober. I could even be one of them. But I am not willing to risk my sobriety to find out.

Just my two cents worth!

Hugs--
Old 06-06-2005, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Renee!
I think you better get to a meeting!
JMHS
Old 06-06-2005, 11:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Meetings are not, and haven't been, part of my recovery program, but doing something every day to enhance my sobriety has been from the start. For me, that meant actively participating on forum boards, reading and learning about sobriety and substance abuse, writing in a journal, etc. In other words, adopting some healthy new habits to replace my unhealthy old ones.

Some folks do online meetings in various recovery programs, including SMART Recovery, AA, LifeRing, SOS, WFS, etc. It's also important to find new activities--hobbies, old interests that fell by the wayside during your drinking years, things you always wanted to try--to use up that new reservoir of nervous energy you've probably found.

This simple summary is something I've found useful for a long time:
People who achieve longterm sobriety, regardless of the recovery program (if any) that they use, have three characteristics in common.
--they make a firm commitment to abstinence.
--they make lifestyle changes to enhance that commitment.
--they plan and practice for urges.

Take care, congratulations on four months, and thanks for posting!

Don S
Old 06-07-2005, 12:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello

Rene...pleased to see you here and sober!

I think of people such as yourself as 90 day wonders.

At 3 months...lives are getting smoother...bodies are healed...minds clearer...jobs improved..bills paid ...money saved..

Then they wonder why they need to continue the program that made these positive changes in their lives.

In over 21+ years I have never gone 3 weeks without a meeting. Nor do i intend to.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there Renee...good to hear from you!

I guess I'll have to join in the concensus about meetings. I've been having a little dip in the "consistency" of my program also...for me though, my meeting attendance i OK...its the other stuff such as meditation, reading, etc that has been slipping. From time to time, I just have to force myself back towards the routine that has given me proven results. I feel safe "scaling" back on some of the activities that I did pretty relentlessly for these past three months...but surely not ready to abandon them yet.

Hope to be able to check in with you at the end of summer...sober!
Old 06-07-2005, 04:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The Serenity Plus Plan

Hi Renee! and Congrats on the time.

I was just thinking about how I've been scaling back on the tools in my recovery: not going to the gym as much; diet changing back to unhealthy food, i.e. fast food; not getting to meetings; not working on my spirituality; not coming to SR.

I know from the past that I'm in the beginning phases of setting myself up to drink again. I'm just glad I caught it in time and I can get back to work on remaining sober. I know I can't just simply exist as though I've never had a drinking problem.

I guess I was forgetting that sustained sobriety requires work.

Richard
Old 06-07-2005, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Renee! Good to see your post. I've been to 5 meetings in 5 days. Probably overkill, but I really needed to make some connections with sober people and be held accountable. It's so much harder to pick up that first drink when you have so many people invested in you emotionally. Hope you find a group you like and hope we can get together sometime soon!

Kathy
Old 06-07-2005, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Kathy
Old 06-07-2005, 10:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You know if you go you may help another by sharing what's on your mind about going or not. I'm proud of you and I hope to get to 4 months. Right now I'm on day 3 so you really inspire me to continue and start going to AA. If you've stopped going to AA and you feel you may stray. I'd go back just to make sure. Just my own thoughts. I am going to start Monday, hope I make it till then. I'll be thinking of you. I know I will get to that point and hopefully I'll just do it. Go to the meetings to be supportive.

Right now I need some support and I'm trusting everyone here will be a guide for me to follow. Thank you.