Notices

Where the hell do I start?

Old 06-05-2005, 02:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where the hell do I start?

Hey all,

New to this forum... or any other kind of alchohol abuse help...but it's about time for me to seek help. I don't know where to start.

I started drinking in 1994 when I joined the Army... and have not stopped since. I drink a 12 pack of beer every night. I can drink a 12 pack and still get in my truck and go get cigarettes. Walking and talking just fine. My tolerance is crazy... friends even comment on how fast I can knock down drinks... so here I am.

I've lost my girlfriend. She moved out on account of my drinking. Things are getting delayed... didn't make it to my brother's b-day cause I was drinking and didn't want to drive. Missed a graduation party tonight 'cause I started drinking at noon and the party was at 5:30... I'm sure someone here can relate.

So what do I do? Where do I start? Do I need medical help? Will AA really do any good? I've got a great job, medical insurance...respect. But when I get home I tend to drink myself into a coma...

well... I'm just trying to figure things out. Maybe this 13th beer I'm drinking will help clarify things... prolly not....
Old 06-05-2005, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Professional Alcoholic

Since you ask so eloquently......Stop drinking. I know, I know easier said than done but that is what you have to do. I was at your point so I know how hard it can be. Asking for help is a good first step. Congratulations for taking that step. For some people AA works wonders. Some people require medical intervention to get through the withdrawls. You don't have to become some sort of religious freak or live your life to anyone's teachings. It all has to start with you and let people help you along the way. Learn all you can about why you drink like you do. If someone whooped my butt right good, I doubt I'd go back for seconds. It's the same thing for me with alcohol. It kicked my butt real good. Hence I don't drink it anymore. Take some small steps and set a couple of simple goals. Start with no drinking for a day. Then move on to a better life without alcohol.........Hey, maybe you can even win that girlfriend back. Alcohol is slick and evil. Don't be fooled by it's power.......Good luck
Old 06-05-2005, 04:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Hi dalverson!
Welcome to SR. Yep, I can relate to your story very well. I started missing alot of obligations during my drinking.

When you think about it, you're not even living life anymore, you're just exisiting and living to drink.

You should probably start by talking to your doctor. Alcohol withdrawl can be deadly, and he can give you meds to make you more comfortable and make your detox period safe.

Since you have good insurance, you should be able to get involved in intensive outpatient therapy at a good recovery center. That usually involves group & individual therapy, and most importantly, it fills the TIME during your first few weeks of sobriety.

AA works for many. There are also alternatives to AA, someone should be around to tell you about them, or search the boards and you'll find alot of info.

Taking the first step is hard, but it is so worth it.

Good luck and hang in there!
Old 06-05-2005, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

First, thanks for serving our great country.
Take advantage of your "great insurance" to help yourself. Admitting the problem is the hardest step. For me it makes the rest easier. Reach deep and you will succeed.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Welcome and Hello!

Congratulations on seeking a sober future!

Yes..having a honest talk witg a doctor is wise.

Please check out the Alcoholism section and read the top sticky. Lots of info there on detoxxing.

Great to have you here at SR.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
knucklehead

dalverson, welcome to SR stick around. It is a good place to be.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hello--Wanted to say welcome. If you really want it, you can leave the alcohol behind. Although you have not lost your job, house, car YET, it sounds like alcohol is already robbing you of some pretty important things. Is it really worth it? My name is Laura and I am a recovering alkie/pothead who uses the program and fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous to help me stay sober one day at a time. As others have already posted. The first thing you should do is consult with your doctor. De-tox can be very dangerous. In the meantime, keep reading and posting here. I think you will find you can relate. You have taken a very courageous first step by admitting you have a problem and asking for help.

Glad you are here!
Old 06-05-2005, 06:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Lightbulb Welcome!

Alot of good suggestions made. Looking foward to hearing more from you. Bless, Trish
Old 06-05-2005, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow. Great suggestions all... I had no idea that the detox could be deadly until I read your posts and then started searching the web. This site www.spencerrecovery.com also talked about how dangerous it could be, although... who has 29 days to be away from work at an in-house treatment center.

Just stop drinking.

That sounds so easy... I tried it in December. I think I had 3 sober days that month. I was trying to prove to myself that I wasn't an alchy... I did have physical withdrawl symptoms and had to finally drink. So I guess what I proved to myself was just the opposite. I can't stop "cold-turkey" and I'm gonna need some help.

I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm just trying to feel my way through this right now...
Old 06-05-2005, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dalverson
who has 29 days to be away from work at an in-house treatment center.
Hi dalverson! I think it's wonderful you've taken that first step!

I would just like to say that 29 days is nothing compared to your life. If you have good insurance take full advantage of it. In my opinion in-house treatment is the best way to get a 'jump start' in sobriety. Think of it as a little (life saving) vacation.

Best of luck!
Old 06-05-2005, 01:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Read

this please..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=47857

Some post are off topuc...but it might help you decide.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

(((dalverson)))

Welcome to SR. I'm glad you are reaching out for help. Life doesn't have to be the way you are living it. It sounds as if alcohol is running the show. It will only get worse if you allow it to go any further. Find a program any program, just quit. AA worked for me. I couldn't quit on my own and was desparate for a way out. I found that way in AA and life is good. Look into some meetings in your local area. Check it out. It couldn't hurt. Good luck....