NYC Round-Up General Information and Options

Old 06-02-2005, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NYC Round-Up General Information and Options

Good Morning Everyone.

Just putting out some more information to help you consider options about the itinerary. I am leaving NY next Wednesday for a few weeks, but will surely try to get back by the 25th. I will have my laptop with me and can continue to help facilitate getting things organized.

Well, sounds like at least midtown has been decided. I would suggest making the hotel bookings as soon as possible. Just reminding folks that the Madison Hotel is modest but clean. If you would like to consider other hotels in the area at a higher price, Check out the Ramada Inn East Side I had trouble finding a web page for it, but: http://trael.*****.com/p-hotel-33517...nn_east_side-i

The Ramada Inn East Side is a few steps up in quality (my family stays there), is still only a few blocks away from Madison Sq Park and may have some good deals. Check it out. It is 161 Lexington Ave Lexington and 30th st. 212 545 1800

Madison Square Park is a VERY Beautiful and SAFE park! You will be shocked if you have any worries about NYC. Again, just because it is located midtown and easily accessible to almost any bus or subway lines...or as Gianna says, you can walk almost anywhere also.

I called the Madison Hotel, they have two suggested parking lots nearby. One is Central Parking on 6th Avenue between 29th adn 30th streets. They have a deal there for 20 dollars for 24 hours. About a 10 minute walk to hotels. The other lot is at 28th and Park Avenue (around the corner), but they do not have a "deal" with them.

Again, folks should sort out hotels as soon as possible. The weekend of the 25th and 26th is a big weekend here. Gay Pride is that weekend!! SO, there will be a lot of people coming into the city. There will be a huge parade down 5th avenue on the 26th...that is very entertaining. So, a walking tour for 5th avenue should be planned for the 25th...AND if anyone has problems with being around gay folks...that weekend may not be for you!

The Circle Line boat tour is really a great excursion and cheap...I don't think you would have to worry about seasickness..a big boat toodling along a quiet river! Seeing the sights of the city from the water. You can check it out at: www.Circleline42.com

It would be easy to set up a couple activities throughout the day with specific meeting points and times in case anyone has to arrive late, or to facilitate breaking off into groups and then reconvening at a later point. For example, a morning meeting point at Madison Square Park, then options to go to the Empire State, or Central Park, a lunch time meeting time and point somewhere, perhaps an early afternoon meeting point for Ground Zero or Circle Line, etc...Give people options.

For AA folks, perhaps a meeting at the infamous Perry Street meeting in lovely Greenwich Village. They have meetings scheduled all day and it is a very historic and beautiful part of the city. Would just have to get there early as it is a tiny hole in the wall of a place, however famous, and that is part of its charm.

Those are a few ideas to start. I will post this as a seperate thread and also be in touch with Mike and Gianna.

Lance
Old 06-02-2005, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I will keep adding practical information and itinerary ideas to this thread, and personal plans can stay on the original.

Just a thought about Ground Zero...Due to the fact that much of the central part of the city, especially along 5th Avenue, will be bustling on Sunday afternoon due to the Gay Pride parade....maybe a trip to Ground Zero could be a Sunday excursion. That part of the city would not be overrun by revelers on Sunday!

I will also be thinking, along with Gianna, about a dinner reservation at an interesting restaurant for Saturday evening where people can have a decent choice of meals for a reasonable price...and where it would be quiet enough for conversation, etc...

ANY big desires for type of cuisine??
Old 06-02-2005, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey there..... I think Sunday at ground zero would be a wonderful idea.... if we make a definite plan.... I can ask some of the folks in the WTC survivor network to maybe join us and talk about their experience, strength and hope.... a couple of them were on the 73rd and 83rd floors of the first tower that was hit and barely made it out alive....they express how precious life is... and how we should grab onto every minute like it is our last... very inspirational.... let me know your thoughts...Linda
Old 06-02-2005, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

UM, just a thought here, since this was Mike's idea because he is visiting from portland and has never toured NYC, don't you think we should consider what He wants to do. Then the rest of us can fit our stuff around that. When he leaves, he is going to be 2500 miles away and not sure if/when he will get back east. We are all close enough that if we miss something we can come back on our own at another time.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

Mike;
Food options are open for me - just no McDonalds!!!
I like the Ground Zero idea too. and Linda, I would LOVE to listen to those survivors!
Thanks for doing this...
Shalom!
Old 06-12-2005, 08:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bump.Im game for anything too.No worries with McDonalds.Not really my fav either.The only thing that is important to me is that June 25th is the anniversary of my girlfriends death.We have a candle light every year back home at her accident site.But,this year Im gonna miss it.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Mike)))
We can have that candlelight ceremony in NYC.
Maybe not the same, but, heartfelt, nonetheless...
Shalom, friend...
Old 06-13-2005, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by historyteach
(((Mike)))
We can have that candlelight ceremony in NYC.
Maybe not the same, but, heartfelt, nonetheless...
Shalom, friend...
Thanks Debbie.That would mean a lot to me.She would be proud to see me clean and sober and doing good.Unfortunatly,she never did stay sober long and alcohol eventually was the cause of her death.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

I'm so very sorry, Mike...
I'll bring the candles...
Shalom!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No expectations!

((((Mike))))
Old 06-13-2005, 10:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.This will be 5 years since Corinna's death.The 25th of June is still always a hard day though for me.I am very glad and also very lucky to spend it with my friends from SoberRecovery.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're completely welcome, Mike!

Love and s,
Eddie
Old 06-16-2005, 02:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bumpity bump
Old 06-16-2005, 03:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To Life!

Looks like Sunday with the WTC survivor is out. Linda ran into a problem, and cannot do it afterall. Sending prayers her way...

Bill, do you have that meeting set up? The one you spoke of before? Let us know, ok?

OK, time is running short. What is the lunch meeting place? and the dinnertime place? Someone with knowledge of the city - please tell us where to go. We don't really HAVE a clue, so, I'm game for whatever. Choices should be reasonable cost and selection of foods, I guess. Gianna??? Time4Me??? Help us out here, please....we won't attack you if we don't like the food, lol!!! We have a program of serenity working for us, remember?

OK, right now, as far as I know, we have

1. meeting - Bill, what time is that one? Is it the Greenwich Village one?
2. lunch and dinner - what time do we want to meet for these?
3. central park - strawberry fields - before lunch ok? I'm thinking, (and this is just my thoughts here), it would be a good place for all of us to have our own meeting....???
4. WTC - after lunch???
5. candlelight vigil - dusk, which would be @ 7:30 or so, right?

These are just ideas and are open for change. What I'm trying to do is get an itinery together.
Add thoughts here, please???

It's about recovery and fun, right folks???
Looking forward...with just a bit of nervousness! LOL!
Tee shirts are coming along fine....Will have them with me!
Shalom!
Old 06-16-2005, 05:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds great Debbie.Thanks for all your hard work helping make this thing happen.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

From what I've heard, the meetings at the HOW building in the village aren't there anymore. Which is a shame, because they were awesome meetings.

What type of meeting are we looking for? Is it primarily AA, NA, or Anon's?

We'll figure this out.