Notices

Ending suboxone....

Old 05-31-2005, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Ending suboxone....

Hello all,

I had a question for those who have used suboxone but are now finished with it. I was just wondering about the withdrawal effects from it, and if it's even close to opiate withdrawals. I've been on 8mg a day since the end of April, and my doc wants me to start tapering soon, and I'm a little nervous... I just wanted to know how hard it is and if it's even that bad.

Thanks!!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
X IV

Hi,

You can read my post in the methadone detox if you want. It might help. It goes in to what your asking about. In a nut shell I talked to my Dr. at the clinic this am about suboxone and he told me there is no difference. It is a synthetic opiate and withdrawl will be exactly the same. I wish I had better news for you. I am 7 days off methadone right now and it is getting much easier. Good luck.
God Bless
Old 05-31-2005, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Smarmy (love that word!),
I'm sure someone with more personal experience than I have will be along soon, but I wanted to say hey. I think the degree of withdrawals you go through from the Suboxone varies alot depending on: the person; how long you've been on it; how much you've been on; and probably most importantly, how fast the taper is. If you're really concerned about the withdrawals, I would say work closely with your doctor to take it slow and easy to minimize the symptoms. They can also give you clonidine and stuff to help with the symptoms you do experience.

We will be here to support you as much as we can, but there really is no substitute for a good face-to-face meeting. I would try to get in as many as possible while you're going through this. You need support, OK? Let us know how you're doing!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-31-2005, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hey Swarmy,

I am also quite interested in suboxone detox. I am on week 7 of the program and am inevitably starting to worry about the detox. The suboxone site claims it is somewhat milder than some other opiates, but as eddie said, it will certainly vary from person to person. I don't know how to add links to my reply, but there is a great suboxone site that has many threads dealing with wd. Some bad, some good. The best dvice I've read is to taper slowly - some folks are at 0.5mg per day, and then hope for the best. I feel that it will not be as bad as heroin or oxy detox, at least in the mental aspect, as we have been giving some time to get our lives in order, get therapy and work programs to prepare us for life without sub.

Hang on, let me find the opiate detox wesite and I'll try to post it.

OK - see if this works: http://www.heroin-detox.com - then find the forum on sub/bup and look for detox threads. Maybe someone a little more computer literate could repost it?

Ah ha!, I just checked and it works.
Go the bup/sub forum and read away!

Let me know how things work out for you & how you're doingin general!

Much Love: SS
Old 05-31-2005, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello...
I have been on suboxone a number of times, for short detoxes off my drug of choice (hydrocodone). I found it easy to taper off, but I was never on it for longer than 30 days.

The longer you are on it, the more symptoms you will feel when you finally taper off. It is easier to taper with suboxone than some other opiates because it is long acting, so you don't feel drops in dose so acutely.

When I tapered off, I felt mild withdrawal symptoms that were not nearly as bad as a cold turkey detox. Mainly restlessness, anxiety, depression, insomnia and diarrhea. The last two lasted the longest.

Eddie is right, it's important to work with your doctor on this. If your goal is to be drug free (as opposed to opiate maintenance) it is better to taper off sooner rather than later. And you will need a good support system to help you stay away from your drug of choice. NA helped me.

I last took suboxone in January, after being on and off it for about a year. I'm doing well, but I won't lie and say it has been easy! But it has been worth it.

Ashley
Old 05-31-2005, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
X IV

I hope this link works

http://www.bi-valley.com/Pages/Buprenorphine.htm#BUPFAQ

Buprenomorphine is suboxone. The way my Dr. described it to me is that it really does not matter how slow you taper. Your brain adjusts to the smaller amount of opiates and still does not make any of it's own endorphines. Of course it is different for everyone. But, when you finally take away outside opiates synyhetic or not your brain is going to go ape ***** for a while until it learns that it must create it's own endorphines. I have used every opiate know to man including soboxone (on the street) . I am not going to sugar coat it. It is going to be hard period. That does not mean immpossible. Pain is the touchstone of spiritual, emotional and physical growth.

You can do it if you are motivated and have some support. I promise you that it won't kill you. I know that there are people here who will help you and meeting meetings meetings. And I hope to the heavens you have a Higher Power.
God Bless.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by lbadeker
Your brain adjusts to the smaller amount of opiates and still does not make any of it's own endorphines. Of course it is different for everyone. But, when you finally take away outside opiates synyhetic or not your brain is going to go ape ***** for a while until it learns that it must create it's own endorphines.
Thanks, "L," for reminding me about the brain stopping making endorphins, because that reminds me to say that the key to re-starting to make them is (drum roll, please)...EXERCISE! And some sunlight should help, too! Get out and walk if you possibly can. The exercise stimulates the production of endorphins and the sun, well, I don't know exactly how, but it does make you feel better.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-03-2005, 11:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your comments and support!! I'm starting the taper on the 15th, and I think it will go okay, I want to be drug free bad enough. It has to be at least a little easier than oxycontin withdrawls, which was hell. I'll update as soon as I start, thanks again!!
Old 06-04-2005, 01:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're very welcome! Do keep in touch, OK?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-04-2005, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, please keep us posted.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Smarmy (like I said, I just love that word),
How are you doing? Just checking in.
Love and hugs,
Eddie