View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ashley80

Hello...
I have been on suboxone a number of times, for short detoxes off my drug of choice (hydrocodone). I found it easy to taper off, but I was never on it for longer than 30 days.

The longer you are on it, the more symptoms you will feel when you finally taper off. It is easier to taper with suboxone than some other opiates because it is long acting, so you don't feel drops in dose so acutely.

When I tapered off, I felt mild withdrawal symptoms that were not nearly as bad as a cold turkey detox. Mainly restlessness, anxiety, depression, insomnia and diarrhea. The last two lasted the longest.

Eddie is right, it's important to work with your doctor on this. If your goal is to be drug free (as opposed to opiate maintenance) it is better to taper off sooner rather than later. And you will need a good support system to help you stay away from your drug of choice. NA helped me.

I last took suboxone in January, after being on and off it for about a year. I'm doing well, but I won't lie and say it has been easy! But it has been worth it.

Ashley