Notices

I'm putting this on my fridge!!!!

Old 05-13-2005, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

I'm putting this on my fridge!!!!

Property Lines

A helpful tool in our recovery, especially in the behavior we call detachment, is learning to identify who owns what. Then we let each person own and possess his or her rightful property.

If another person has an addiction, a problem, a feeling, or a self-defeating behavior, that is their property, not ours. If someone is a martyr, immersed in negativity, controlling, or manipulative, that is their issue, not ours.

If someone has acted and experienced a particular consequence, both the behavior and the consequence belong to that person.

If someone is in denial or cannot think clearly on a particular issue, that confusion belongs to him or her.

If someone has a limited or impaired ability to love or care, that is his or her property, not ours. If someone has no approval or nurturing to give away, that is that persons property.

Peoples lies, deceptions, tricks, manipulations, abusive behaviors, inappropriate behaviors, cheating behaviors, and tacky behaviors belong to them, too. Not us.

Peoples hope and dreams are their property. Their guilt belongs to them too. Their happiness or misery is also theirs. So are their beliefs and messages.

If some people dont like themselves, that is their choice. Other peoples choices are their property, not ours.

What people choose to say and do is their business.

What is our property? Our property includes our behaviors, problems, feelings, happiness, misery, choices, and messages; our ability to love, care, and nurture; our thoughts, our denial, our hopes and dreams for ourselves. Whether we allow ourselves to be controlled, manipulated, deceived, or mistreated is our business.

In recovery, we learn an appropriate sense of ownership. If something isnt ours, we dont take it. If we take it, we learn to give it back. Let other people have their property, and learn to own and take good care of whats ours.

Today, I will work at developing a clear sense of what belongs to me, and what doesnt. If its not mine, I wont keep it. I will deal with my issues, my responsibilities, and myself. I will take my hands off what is not mine.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
old enough to know BETTER!!!!!

VERY VERY USEFUL! As both an addict and an ENABLER to an addict .... I can see both sides ..... but, I tried to HEAL him ..... not knowing he did NOT want to be healed. His addiction was not MINE to try to change .... I did not know that THEN ... and in the end, I became what I wanted to change in him ..... MY ISSUE .... MY CHOICE .... now it MUST be MY CHOICE to change MYSELF!

Thank you for sharing this .... printing it as we speak (cyber-speak .... lol)

Much love,
Maria
Old 05-13-2005, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
knucklehead

Old 05-13-2005, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Those are great.Thanks for sharing them.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Nice to see you back T2S!!