Notices

day 1

Old 05-14-2005, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 1

hi everyone, sorry about the username, but it took me 20 tries to find anything not taken. my name is jon and i am most definitely an alcaholic... i exibit all of the classic symptoms, except violent behavior, and am still somewhat functional. i am a senior at osu, 29, and looking for some big way to change my life and feel satisfied with myself. i am about to go through a divorce, and am feeling quite alone right now. my soon to be ex stopped feeling romantically about me over a year ago, partly because i lied to her. i told her i had stopped drinking, which i had for some time, but started again and tried to hide this from her. sometimes i think to myself that it is my lousy relationship that makes me want to drink, but its the other way around. she has many childhood issues that contributed to our demise as well, but nothing was as profound as the lies. my grandfather was a functional alcaholic all of his life, and died of complications related to his kidneys... at the age of 78. i think part of me believed that my genetics made me immune to the damaging effects of alcahol, but i realize now that this theory is bogus. i really wish i had never even tasted my first beer. this is a long boring message, but i hope someone has some advice or something.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Jon
You are making a good start by reaching out here.

"Men and women essentially drink because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable, and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks---drinks they see others taking with impunity."

Big Book of AA p. xxvii

My alcoholic life was the only thing I had ever known. My life was in shambles at 29 years old. Now I am 5.5 months sober and I am so much different...and so happy..and FREE!!

Keep reaching out.

Tanya
Old 05-14-2005, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jon,

Welcome to SR! This is a great place to come for information and lots of support. It sounds like you're taking an honest look at yourself and your life. That's a bit step forward to do that. Stopping drinking will not make your life perfect, but you know that all your problems will be so much easier to deal with sober. I hope you keep visiting.

Anna
Old 05-14-2005, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went through the same thing, or rather am going through the same thing. One thing that has not been mentioned is that after quitting alcohol many people become extremely emotional. Be prepared that this may happen. Maybe have a number for counseling available.
I mention this because my ex kept coming back. Because I was so emotional I always let her. Then something would happen and I, like you, drank because of her. Well you maybe but me for sure.
Good luck.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi jon, Keep going strong and remember what you told us about the booze and how its effected you alot and hopefully that helps to start the recovery process of learning to stay sober it isnt easy at times.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Jon
Welcome! Stick around - lots of nice people here that want to help, and can understand exactly what you are going through.

Everyone starts on day 1, so congratulations, and good luck on your new journey! There are many positive things that I have found in my (short) sobriety. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2005, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hey jon im from salem to . hang in there bill