Notices

Spiritual Progress

Old 05-09-2005, 04:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dan

Spiritual Progress

I learned from them that inspiration does not come like a bolt, nor is it kinetic, energetic striving, but it comes into us slowly and quietly and all the time, though we must regularly and every day give it a little chance to start flowing, prime it with a little solitude and idleness.
~Brenda Ueland

We tend to be action-oriented and concerned about showing results in the shortest period of time. Our world has emphasized this outlook, especially for men. Now we are seeking spiritual progress. We are on a journey seeking a relationship with our Higher Power, with ourselves, and with others.

Spiritual progress is made by pushing aside busyness and efficiency. We become receptive to inspiration by allowing empty spaces in our lives, some solitude and idleness. This moment - right now - is one such time. It is not clearly goal-oriented. Rather it is a moment when we reflect on ourselves as recovering men. We become receptive to inspiration, to a deeper wisdom, to that part of life which we do not command.

I will remember today that spiritual progress comes only when I make room for it in my life.

(from Touchstones)
Old 05-09-2005, 05:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
I learned from them that inspiration does not come like a bolt, nor is it kinetic, energetic striving, but it comes into us slowly and quietly and all the time, though we must regularly and every day give it a little chance to start flowing, prime it with a little solitude and idleness.
~Brenda Ueland

We tend to be action-oriented and concerned about showing results in the shortest period of time. Our world has emphasized this outlook, especially for men. Now we are seeking spiritual progress. We are on a journey seeking a relationship with our Higher Power, with ourselves, and with others.

Spiritual progress is made by pushing aside busyness and efficiency. We become receptive to inspiration by allowing empty spaces in our lives, some solitude and idleness. This moment - right now - is one such time. It is not clearly goal-oriented. Rather it is a moment when we reflect on ourselves as recovering men. We become receptive to inspiration, to a deeper wisdom, to that part of life which we do not command.

I will remember today that spiritual progress comes only when I make room for it in my life.

(from Touchstones)
I agree. It is very difficult to put these experiences into words (and who would want to?). I can go to a hundred meetings and it wont come, but I can be out fishing and it takes over the whole day: a feeling of being alive, of being human, of being exceptionally flawed.

For me, spirituality comes through practice and sometimes down right 'skill'. My spirituality is different to everyone elses for everyone has their own spirit.

Receptive, open, thoughtful, willing, the list goes on. Its out there, at the end of the day.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love this!! I just sent it to one of my friends, thanks!~
Old 05-09-2005, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great reminder Dan. I have been so busy reocvering...it has been like a full time job! Even my meditations have become too "routine".

Time for a step back to catch up...nature always helps set the scene.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember back when

I was a young boy, having emotional experiences while with a group of people in a religious(church)surrounding. I didn't know what all the religion was about, but I still do remember the emotions I felt. I still remember my very first kindergarden teacher, Mrs. Pro. She was a little old lady at that time and just as nice as could be. Bill Cosby talks about her when he mentions taking naps when I don't want to, drinking curdley mild and eatting stail graham crackers. My parents made me attend church as a child and I didn't like it. However, I do remember a couple experiences.
When I reached my teen years, somehow I started to get cynical, sarcastic, and asked questions I knew nobody could answer, i.e. Where is God? Who is God? What does God look like? Prove there's a God. Of course, there was never the right answer. Today I believe spirituality is like starting a camp fire.(Maybe a feeble analogy). It all starts with a small bit of fire from a match, or a spark created some way. I believe we're all born with that spark. It's in there somewhere but unless I kindle it, and feed it, it'll never reach the intensity it takes to develope a spiritual way of life. I believe God was at work with me all during my drinking. Do I believe God could have stopped me from drinking early on? Sure? But He didn't! He had other plans for me. I had to drink every drop, do everything I did, hurt myself and the people around me, and reach the end before I got the desire to stop drinking and re-kindle that spark I know was always there. Even when I was drinking there were dark moonlit nights out at sea when all I could see were stars. I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face but I could see the stars. I remember thinking that there just has to be a God out there somewhere. Then, my ship hit another port and it was time to drink.
The Big Book says that our past is our greatest gift to the newcomer. I believe it's the greatest gift God gave me. My drinking is part of my life and I'm better off for it today. I wish I could take back the pain I've caused others but I can't. The way I am, if I could have taken back the pain, I probably would have caused more pain. My past is not only what I share with newcomers, but it also keeps me sober. I'm never without it.
I believe spirituality comes in two forms. My human spirit, which is me, my inner self, and the newfound God spirit in me, which enables me to recognize His grace in the gift of sobriety He gave me. Both forms have to be cultivated and re-kindled daily in order to keep them burning brightly.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Music
I believe spirituality comes in two forms. My human spirit, which is me, my inner self, and the newfound God spirit in me, which enables me to recognize His grace in the gift of sobriety He gave me. Both forms have to be cultivated and re-kindled daily in order to keep them burning brightly.
I'm glad the boy grew up to share that with me.
Thanks Music.