Notices

Oh no...

Old 05-04-2005, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Oh no...

Hiya all. I have been sober for 5 days! yey to me! but today i git a phone call from an old friend. Id seen her when i was on my last bender. She is a nice girl, doesnt drink to much but her mother likes a good drink. I invited them both up for a drink sometime this week. I totally forgot! anyway she phoned me this morning asking what night to come up, i said i would call her tommorrow. Now i dont know what to do. They know the old Bonnie, the drunkin one and quite often i used to have a good blow out with her mother (We all used to work together) but how can i invite them up for a drink and not have a drink? part of me actually said to myself when she called, that one wee drink wouldnt do me any harm. I am NOT going to though, it is just i dont know if i can handle temptation at this point. I am quite happy living quiet with my family and going to my meetings. I CANNOT have drink around me just now.

How can i get out of it? what would you do?

Take care luv bonnie,xxxx
Old 05-04-2005, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

ahhhh the ol demon taping you on the shoulder egging you on! What you do is call and say your just under the weather and right now you wouldn't be good company. In recovery we do whatever it takes to stay sober. Your just not strong enough to be around it and you should ensure no temptation is around for awhile. This takes time. Believe me, they may be disappointed briefly but your sobriety comes above all else right now, and if it means disappointing someone from the drinking days it means disappointing someone from the drinking days. I assure you, they will make other plans to still enjoy their evening. Now call!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this Bonnie! And, Chy is right, it's awfully early for a temptation like that. So, you need to make a choice about this situation.

Love, Anna
Old 05-04-2005, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Take care of yourself at this time. You are very early in recovery and you have to take yourself out of situations that can cause you harm.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Just for today....

I think I would tell them what you are doing. If you lie, then it is possible they may call you next week for a drink. If you are honest, you won't have to deal with this again, and if she is a good friend she will support you.
I've learned from my husband who is a crack addict the phrase "wet faces, wet places" is very true. If you associate with people who use early in your recovery it is a lot harder. He had to detach from his friends, some of whom he has known since kindergarten and meet new friends, mostly in NA, until he is strong enough to see his old buddies again. He says it was hard at first, but he can't believe what wonderful supportive people he has met, and they are all in the exact same boat, so the temptation of drugs or alcohol popping up is very minimal.

I would be honest. NA is an honest program.

Good luck!
God Bless.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Froglegs, i dont think i am ready to tell people yet but in time i hope to. I will just have to tell her im not well. I dont see her that often anyway but im sure she wont mind

You are all right. Being sober is the most important thing.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're making a good choice. Take care.