Notices

Dentist...Worried...In Pain

Old 04-25-2005, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Dentist...Worried...In Pain

Throughout the course of my addiction, I have really given my body a good ass kicking. My liver is kinda ******, My IQ has been lowered 27 points, Methadone made me gain alot of weight, I have chronic bronchitis. One of the worst things though is that my teeth are really really ****** up. I have had abcessesd tooth after abcessed tooth when I was useing, and it never bothered me, I'd just do more dope and it'd go away or become managable. Well since I've gotten clean, I have had 3 abcessed teeth and I have refused to go to the dentist. I don't think I have been to the dentist not loaded since I was like 12 and I'm afraid to go now. I feel like a big baby. Anyway, my sponsor told me friday night when we were at a local pizzaria (which I wasn't eating at since my mouth was killing me.) that there is a secret to getting rid of tooth pain, but I might not like it. I said, "what is it?" He said "go to the dentist." I'm trying to follow the suggestions of my sponsor, so I'm about to call and make an appointment, but I have all these thoughts running through my head about pain meds (my former dentist would write me a script of Oxy's for getting a cavity filled) and how I absolutely do not want to take any.
Last night at the meeting, a few people talked specifically about getting teeth fixed and medication and surgery etc... Well after the meeting, I went to my sponsor and asked him if what I had heard was correct. If I went to the dentist and told them I was in recovery and they insisted on writing me pain meds, I could take them as long as I gave them to someone else and followed the directions? He kinda laughed and told me it's between me and my concience and only I could determin if my pain was really bad enough to take pain meds for. He told me about non-narcotic pain meds like ultram and to be careful about that stuff too b/c it can get you loaded if you abuse it too. I'm just scared that I won't be strong enough to tell my dentist that I can't have pain meds. What if the pain gets really bad at like 3 in the morning? (I have to get alot of **** done and it's prolly gonna hurt like hell.) I really don't want to get loaded again. I know my body doesn't know the differance between Dr. perscribed meds and the **** I bought on the street. I keep hearing that "one is too many and a 1000 is never enough" thing in my head, but what if I legitamately need one? I'm afraid that I'll turn back into the cookie monster.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Blake -

What you are feeling is normal. My suggestion....try and stop 'what ifing'. Stay in today. Maybe when you call and make the appoitment, tell the person on the phone about your addiction, ask her to note it in your file, it might be easier for you over the phone.

When I first got clean and needed pain meds for whatever I always got the prescription filled cause I would 'what if' like you are. What if it is 3 in the morning and I am in pain? etc. etc. Let me tell you that whether it was dental surgery or having a mass of yuck removed from my arm (whatever they called it LOL) I rarely took the pain meds. I think it was the security of having them.

I would tell them your situation over the phone, ask for the non narcotic stuff (it really does work) and you can always call and get just a couple it you need it.

The most important thing right now is to be honest with the dentist and start from there.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have teeth trouble too ..

I know what you mean about being scared of what might happen. I've taken another addict with me to the dentist to remind me of what and who I am immediately upon stumbling out of the chair.

Novocain doesn't set me off too badly, the gas is another story... euphoric recall and all. Makes me want to dig out all my old zeppelin albums and crank up the stereo to have some sort of mystical experience, then i remember that the music sounds just as good through the 14 band perchannel dog eq that I haven't pawned or traded for a bag in the 14 years that recovery has blessed me with to not fall victim to any of those "mystical experience" bs stories that the disease tells.

recovery is a mystical experience of its own accord and one of the resons I get to enjoy it is because I have really made a decision that after getting some clean time I don't want to go back to the fuzzy side of the curtain.

You can get through this you have a sponsor, meetings, and man other recovering addicts who are standing by you to help you fix up your smile.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

around here we have a hard core group of 'script junkies in our rooms who make themselves available to any of us who want support thru pain medications. i say hard core because i know of some of these guys who have gone thru big surgeries with nuthin but tylenol [no, not pm] as their post op meds.

they don't insist that the rest of us be that radical, but they are living proof that we can do a lot more pain than most of us know- [see gooch's post op posts]

makes sense to ask for help- it marks my willingness to surrender-
Old 04-25-2005, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread, family. I am going through a similar thing right now. I have a cracked back tooth and a whole mess of other stuff that simply needs to be dealt with. I keep putting it off because of those same fears.

Right now I am praying for the willingness to make that appointment. Thank god for people in recovery who I know will support me in getting through this clean and sober.

hugs,

phinny
Old 04-26-2005, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

good morning peeps,

Well after I posted this yesterday, I called an "recovering addict friendly" dentist that was recomended to me in the rooms. I told the receptionist that I have an abcessed tooth and I needed her to call me in some antibiotics, the receptionist told me she would have the dentist call me back. Well I forgot about it and went about my day, we were busy as hell. Around 3:30 she called me back and apollogized that it took so long. I asked her to call me in some antibiotics and she said I'd have to come in first at 4:15. I'm so glad the receptionist didn't tell me to come in at 4:15 when I called in the morning b/c for the next 30 minutes I couldn't do **** but stare at the wall. Well I called a couple of friends in NA and asked them to meet me down the road from the dentists place. I was freaking out about the whole thing, but when I pulled up and meet my friends, I got a little calmer. It made me feel good that I have people that care about me enough to go and sit with me in the dentist office and wait around for me. I was actually joking around with them and laughing the whole time I was waiting. On my forms I put "I am a recovering drug addict, DO NOT WRITE ME ANY NARCOTICS!!!" I then told the receptionist, the dental assistant and the dentist. The dentist said "I'm glad you told me that. I was wondering if you knew (the person that reffered me to her) before or after." In my head I was thinking that if I told her that I was a drug addict she was going to treat me like ****. It was exactly the other way around. She was the nicest dentist I have ever been to. I was correct in assumeing that they were not going to be able to do anything except give me antibiotics and advil, but I have a follow up appointment wed. at 2:30 for a root canal and I'm okay with it. I'm gonna bring my friends again and I'll talk about it again when I get home to my meeting and you people will be hearing another long drawn out story come thursday.

Thanks for listening,
-Blake
Old 04-26-2005, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

P.S. Phinny,
Make the appointment, it isn't as bad as you have it built up in your mind. Maybe my story will be different come thursday, but I know that seeing the dentist will not kill me. I kept thinking that if I ignored the problem it would magically go away (big pink elephant) but all ignoring it does is makes the problem worse.

good luck and have faith.
-Blake
Old 04-26-2005, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have had teeth extracted and root canal.
I always feared I would not be able to stand the pain, but then again, thats why I used for 18 years....I was afraid of the pain I would feel if I wasn't using.

Anyway, I didn't accept any narcotic meds. The dentist gave me a script for mega dose Ibuprofen (Advil).
I lived.
No one ever died from pain.
It can be done.

Richie
Old 04-26-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Blake.....
Old 04-26-2005, 10:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Paulie,

That is exactally what my sponsor said too. followed by "see, you didn't die."
Old 04-26-2005, 10:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Old 04-26-2005, 11:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You did well. I'm really proud of you. So many times I have gone to the dentist and thought to myself - a bottle of vicodin??!! That's DIFFERENT. Yeah right. Over and over, time and again I have come to find out that it just isn't any different. Sure it's not crack or heroin but the funny this is - it might as well be because maybe not that day - but right away I am back to my drug of choice. Sometimes the same day - sometimes a week or two later but regardless, what happens is I get on the road to relapse again...I start the downhill run again, so to speak.

I still think back to treatment the first time in 1998 when they told me there was a rock at the bottom of every bottle. What?? Oh not for me, I thought. I never drank when I smoked - that might happen to those OTHER people that drank the whole time they smoked. Still, while it took me a couple of years of trying to disprove that, in the end, I found that if I drank I would end up smoking crack. Besides, the pain of trying to not smoke crack when I drank was unbearable. If you have ever made it through a night of getting drunk without scoring - you know that deep stomach pain I am talking about.

Well, next I thought what about the MMP - that old Marijuana Maintenance Program - I mean that's how people quit the hard stuff, right? Well right away after trying that I found that if I smoked - generally I wouldn't smoke the other. Yet I got to where I couldn't MAKE myself smoke pot because I knew I couldn't do the other. Eventually even if I smoked pot I was out the door to go score the other.

Gosh this story just goes on and on - from one substance to the next. It took years to prove that they were RIGHT and I was wrong because as usual, hindsight is 20/20. I only learn the hard way. And then even after learning these things - I tend to forget.

Needless to say I am very proud of you. Regarding the novocaine that someone mentioned - I have had something happen with novocaine myself and I think it is because it is a derivitive of the 'caine' family - novocaine, procaine, cocaine...I just found that I got massive cravings one day after being numbed with novocaine and I have heard of others freaking out when that happened to them - wondering why all the sudden after years of being clean they'd have such horrific cravings. In my opinion it is because it is from that same family.

Theresa
Old 04-26-2005, 03:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

congrats blake

like a fren told me- going to a dentist [finally] was just me showing me that i was loving me...
hugs
mackat
Old 04-27-2005, 06:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

D-Day....Root Canal at 2:30...I'm a little more nervous than I would like to be, but I have the troops comming to pick me up later and drive me to and from the endontist, so I should be fine...thanks for the support everybody.

-Blake
Old 04-27-2005, 09:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Crap...HUGE KNOT IN STOMACH NOW......T-2hrs38minutes....
Old 04-28-2005, 07:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

FACT:

The idea of having a root canal is a hundred times worse than actaully having a root canal.

FACT:

When you are at the dentist and they numb you with enough novocaine to probablly kill a small child, you can't feel anything they do to your mouth.

FACT:

Going to the dentist gets rid of tooth pain.

Thanks everyone for your support. Yesterday was a good recovery day for me. It showed me that I'm afraid of alot of things that shouldn't scare me and when I let that **** control my thinking, I get in a ****** mood.

I'm greatful for you all,

-Blake
Old 04-28-2005, 07:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

((((Blake))))

:hoo

You made it over another hurtle, my friend. Awesome.

phinny
Old 04-28-2005, 03:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

congrats to ya!!