Notices

Reverse sponsorship?

Old 04-23-2005, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reverse sponsorship?

Hello, I am faced with something right now that I am unsure what to do.

My sponsor is going through a REALLY bad time right now. She has a long distance sponsor and it's just not working, and she REALLY needs someone with what she is going through. She has told me a few times that the thought has come to her to drop me as a sponsee and in the next sentence ask me to sponsor her. She told me that sunday she came to my homegroup with the intention of doing that. At that time I told her, let's keep that option open, but for now let's just leave things as they are.

Last night, was really rough for her so she came to my house. Again the subject of reversing roles came up, and I didn't know what to say. For now, it is still her sponsoring me, but I also gave her some suggestions to write, and what to write about. It just seemed so weird. Like I was giving her an assignment rather than the other way around.

I've never dealt with something like this before, and I don't know of anyone around my area who has, I need some feedback.

Thanks, I'm confused.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Red face

Sponser go through really bad times as well as we do, that is why we need them soo badly. I do no think it is a bad idea to help her through a "rough" time but I don't know if I would reverse sponsership.....you still need a sponser. You can help each other, you KNOW each other. It is really up to you, I guess. My sponser went through a really bad time and I just let her go through it, talk to me when she needed to. The only thing was...she had 20 years clean time and I didn't.....I do not believe I could have really helped her.....she knows the program in and out...hopefully she will use it to her advantage....good luck in whatever you decide.....Kahlia
Old 04-23-2005, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

namommy,

Mike went through something similar recently. His sponsor was great, someone he really could identify with, and talk to, and really feel like there was a connection there. Then he moved to South Carolina. Not too far, but far enough that it was a long distance phone call. Far enough that he no longer attended meetings in our area. And, far enough that Mike slowly stopped calling him like he 'should' have been calling. Eventually (longer than I thought it should take, but somehow managed to keep my mouth SHUT!!!!) Mike found a new sponsor, and still keeps the old one a part of his support network. But it was a really hard decision for him, and really difficult for him to find someone else that he felt would be even close to as perfect a match for him as the old one.

I don't know whether reversing the sponsorship would work or not. You know that I don't work an NA program, that is Mike's. But during the time that Mike was stuggling with what to do about his sponsor situation, I managed to listen, and when my opinion was asked (you know, the moments where I was welcomed to NOT shut my mouth, lol) I mentioned some names of people to him with a decent amount of clean time that I had noticed Mike really listened to and found things in what they would say in meetings that he could truly identify with, and said 'so and so might be someone that you could put on a list of people to consider.' He finally chose someone about a month ago - and amazingly to me, was one of the people he and I had discussed during those conversations. And he is a pretty good match for Mike-he won't let Mike get away with slacking off on phone calls or meetings, calls him on the step work that Mike says he wants to get started back on, and is just as willing to pick up the phone and say 'hey Mike, you haven't called in a few days, so I thought I'd give you a call.'

Anyway, probably nothing that answers any questions for you, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Love and Hugs,
Trisha
Old 04-23-2005, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Seems like a natural extension of the relationship...
But that's just me
Old 04-23-2005, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Hi namommy, That's a good question If that was me i would go with what my heart feels.I would encourge her to look for someone that has more time than you and has a working knowledge of the steps.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HEH LAURIE

i did end up in an informal reverse sponsorship role. my sponsor had moved away, he was using [i didn't know it at the time] we were talking, he said: seems to me our roles have reversed- you're the one with the wisdom i need..."
truth to tell, i regret not getting more agressive- i was still pretty much in awe of that dude.
you know the rest of that story- i did act as his sponsor but only much later.

also- i guy with more time than me asked me to sponsor him a while back- S. said he had never done as intensive step work as he knew i had done. Turns out my sponsor at that time, RW, asked this same dude to be HIS sponsor - almost that very same night. He wanted the spiritual piece that S. had.

all of us clean today, all do service . seems weird but seems to work

like BBill sez- "heart"

hugs
mackat
Old 04-23-2005, 10:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have talked with one of my sponsees about it, she knows the situation pretty well. She feels I am already sponsoring my sponsor. We also talked about who I would ask if we decided to reverse roles. I have 2 people in mind. 1 male, 1 female.

Last night, sitting at the kitchen table going back and forth with my sponsor, I tought "Oh my God, you're frustrating"lol. She had an excuse to not take every suggestion given to her. Finally she broke, and said she would THINK about doing what I suggested.

I am really confused, this is the same person I was thinking about switching from a while back because it wasn't working (I went back to her) and guess what!? It's still not working for me.

This sux.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

We are all in the same boat. Sponsorship is a 2-way street, We don't get to pick and choose who will save our A$$. I've got to see my sponsor be a big baby over some things and in turn I have made some suggestions to him that have work. We are vehicles of God, we are here for each other. Words from Greg P:" Even if our sponsor is the biggest fool, its still better than the energy that got us here. When I tell you I'm and Addict you already know I'm a fool".
I hope things work out, right now she needs you and you will need her, the relationship will flurish through the storms and the good as well.
Todd J.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

I am really confused, this is the same person I was thinking about switching from a while back because it wasn't working (I went back to her) and guess what!? It's still not working for me.
IMO that is your answer right there regarding her sponsoring you. If it is not working for you then maybe it is time to move on.

As far as you sponsoring here, pray about that one.

I had a sponsor relapse once and when got back to the rooms, (I got a new sponsor) and we talked about me sponsoring her. I delclined, I felt it was best for her to go find a new sponsor. I felt that I would be to codie to sponsor her . She understood, moved on and we are friends. But that is just me .

The right answer will come to you, I know it will.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

A little bit of FYI about me, I tend to be straight forward and at times brutally honest. Last night I kind of got a little harsh (which is normal for me) and I think she has now changed her miind about me being her sponsor.lol Today when we talked, she wanted to know if I could suggest someone that might be a good sponsor for her. (I have never been accused of being lovey, dovey and nicey nicey).

I don't want to bail on her right now. That is what is going on. Her 2 adult sons have turned their back on her and won't talk to her, she isn't allowed to see her grandson, and now her husband has filed for divorce. All in a matter of 2 months.

I will be OK. I am just going to continue on writing on my 4th step, get support from others, and ride it out for now.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think she's just tired of having to do all the legwork .. ya know living through those trying experiences staying clean.. probably wants to take a break, rest up and let you set the example for a bit... :O yikes.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Laurie)))
You may not have been accused of it, but, I find your brand of tough love to be refreshingly honest and loving! I'll take it any day!
Shalom!
Old 04-23-2005, 11:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Just For Today

Originally Posted by godsonmyside
Sponsorship is a 2-way street, We don't get to pick and choose who will save our A$$. I've got to see my sponsor be a big baby over some things and in turn I have made some suggestions to him that have work. We are vehicles of God, we are here for each other.
That's how I see sponsorship. My sponsor benefits from sponsoring me as much as I benefit from having him as my sponsor. He's saved my butt... and at the same time I've helped him through some really complex issues. I've called him out on things just as many times as he's caught me.

What does your sponsor's sponsor think of the issue?

If it were me (pure suggestion) I would put it in my HP's hands and meditate for that answer. You'll know what to do
Old 04-24-2005, 07:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WNY Addict
What does your sponsor's sponsor think of the issue?

Unfortunately, she tried to call her sponsor yesterday, and her cell phone is disconnected. Which, personally, scares the he** out of me. My grand sponsor has been battling with cancer for about 4 years, and in Nov. she was informed that the prognosis was not good. She is a long distance sponsor (we're near philly, she is in Queens, NY) So we can't just pop over and check on her.

Oh, the complexities of a family.

Thank God I have SR, and God to help me through.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Just For Today

Originally Posted by namommy
Unfortunately, she tried to call her sponsor yesterday, and her cell phone is disconnected. Which, personally, scares the he** out of me. My grand sponsor has been battling with cancer for about 4 years, and in Nov. she was informed that the prognosis was not good. She is a long distance sponsor (we're near philly, she is in Queens, NY) So we can't just pop over and check on her.

Oh, the complexities of a family.

Thank God I have SR, and God to help me through.
Sorry to hear about the situation, namommy.

Like you said you have both SR and God to help you through. Have you discussed it with any "sponsorship sisters"? Maybe see where they're at with your sponsor... see what they're thinking.

Like I said, if it were me I would just put it in the HP's hands and just listen and meditate for that answer. Talk about it. You and your current sponsor will know what to do.

Prayers
Old 04-24-2005, 11:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

prayers added for your grand sponsor lauri.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Originally Posted by Gooch
prayers added for your grand sponsor lauri.
ditto to that one.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Paulie,
I only have 1 sponsee sister left, and she only calls ANYONE if she wants a favor from you. Her other sponsees bailed a while ago.

She came to my homegroup tonite, and we had a chance to talk, I called her on some things that I feel she needs to look at (such as why is EVERYONE bailing, it can't be that everyone else is wrong and she is the only one that is right). I suggested something that she can do to look at this, and she said "OK". plain and simple, she seemed OK with it tonite.

God, I feel like my head is going to explode. Between her and my husband and some family issues, and sponsees disappearing, and on top of it all I had to go to Area Circus today. of as one of my friends calls it 'scare-ea'. It certainly can be 'scary'.

I feel like such a whiner lately. God I hate it.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
cj.
Mending

Hey Laurie!

((((((((((HUGE HUGS))))))))))

I think you need a nice vacation away from all your stress. Why don't you take a week (or so) off work, hop into your new to you car and come and visit us here in my neck of the woods!!

I guarantee that by the time you get home (if you even want to go back!), you will wonder what all your problems were about anyway! Our laid back, easy way of life will knock the stress right out of you!

Seriously, though, you are in my thoughts and prayers through this difficult time. You are not alone!

Peace
cj
Old 04-25-2005, 08:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

it can't be that everyone else is wrong and she is the only one that is right
bust my bubble

Laurie when I get where you are in my head my sponsor reminds me to think of what I would tell a sponsee if she were where I am, know what I mean?

Disappearing sponsees...yeah I have one of those to.

I am praying for peace for you my friend.