View Single Post
Old 04-23-2005, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
abtchonamission

namommy,

Mike went through something similar recently. His sponsor was great, someone he really could identify with, and talk to, and really feel like there was a connection there. Then he moved to South Carolina. Not too far, but far enough that it was a long distance phone call. Far enough that he no longer attended meetings in our area. And, far enough that Mike slowly stopped calling him like he 'should' have been calling. Eventually (longer than I thought it should take, but somehow managed to keep my mouth SHUT!!!!) Mike found a new sponsor, and still keeps the old one a part of his support network. But it was a really hard decision for him, and really difficult for him to find someone else that he felt would be even close to as perfect a match for him as the old one.

I don't know whether reversing the sponsorship would work or not. You know that I don't work an NA program, that is Mike's. But during the time that Mike was stuggling with what to do about his sponsor situation, I managed to listen, and when my opinion was asked (you know, the moments where I was welcomed to NOT shut my mouth, lol) I mentioned some names of people to him with a decent amount of clean time that I had noticed Mike really listened to and found things in what they would say in meetings that he could truly identify with, and said 'so and so might be someone that you could put on a list of people to consider.' He finally chose someone about a month ago - and amazingly to me, was one of the people he and I had discussed during those conversations. And he is a pretty good match for Mike-he won't let Mike get away with slacking off on phone calls or meetings, calls him on the step work that Mike says he wants to get started back on, and is just as willing to pick up the phone and say 'hey Mike, you haven't called in a few days, so I thought I'd give you a call.'

Anyway, probably nothing that answers any questions for you, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Love and Hugs,
Trisha