Notices

bi-polar/substance abuse disorder

Old 08-31-2002, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Fadedwaste

bi-polar/substance abuse disorder

So I guess that I could say that I am doing rather well...just quit the bottle and cocaine among other substances but I haven't been having the best of luck with the current meds that I am on. I guess it is easier for me to see how well the meds are working now that I am not all messed up on stuff. I'm currently on Lithium, Gabitril (also for my alcohol recovery), Klonopin, and now just recently a drug called Adderall XR that I do not know much about except that I am not to exceed the dosage or stop abruptly...it is for my attention problems that come about bipolar. I also am a single father with a daughter that means the world to me. I guess my dilemma is that some of these meds aren't making me feel all that great and am also afraid of relapsing. The Lithium makes me feel a kind of low and at times it makes me feel like I want to use again. Sure the mania is gone but I want to feel more alive...not like a zombie all the time. And here is another rising complication that I am not to sure is a problem or not. This new drug they have put me on, in which I have only been on for two days, (Adderall XR) I feel really energized and alive..more productive. Kind of like cocaine but just not that craving feeling or twitching. Can this be a problem? Is this normal of this medication? I feel really good, much better than being just on the Lithium but it sounds too good to be true. I feel that if I stay on this med that it will lead me to better things..hopefully it will. I was wondering if anybody else gets this zombie like feeling on Lithium or if it is just me...I feel like I want to get off and feel like a normal human being again. Also, does anybody else have any experience with this drug Adderall or know anything about it? Having bi-polar sucks, especially since I have a history of abuse problems...any uplifting stories about those with bi-polar? I never really tell anybody about my mental problem and figured since this site offered something for it that I would. Well...until then

Old 08-31-2002, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

You're doing great! Keep it up, Hugs,MG

Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine

Brand names: Adderall. Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine is a stimulant and an appetite suppressant. It stimulates the central nervous system (nerves and brain) by increasing the amount of certain chemicals in the body.

Pronunciation: am FEH ta meen / deck stroe am FEH ta meen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the most important information I should know about amphetamine-dextroamphetamine?
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine may cause dizziness, blurred vision, or restlessness, and it may hide the symptoms of extreme tiredness. If you experience these effects, avoid hazardous activities.
• Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine is habit forming. You can become physically and psychologically dependent on this medication, and withdrawal effects may occur if you stop taking it suddenly after several weeks of continuous use. Talk to your doctor about stopping this medication gradually.

What is amphetamine-dextroamphetamine?
• Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine is a stimulant and an appetite suppressant. It stimulates the central nervous system (nerves and brain) by increasing the amount of certain chemicals in the body. This increases heart rate and blood pressure and decreases appetite, among other effects.
• Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine is used to treat narcolepsy and attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity (ADHD).
• Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Who should not take amphetamine-dextroamphetamine?
• Do not take amphetamine-dextroamphetamine if you
· have heart disease or high blood pressure;
· have arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries);
· have glaucoma;
· have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), tranylcypromine (Parnate), or phenelzine (Nardil) in the last 14 days; or
· have a history of drug or alcohol abuse.
• Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have
· problems with your thyroid,
· an anxiety disorder,
· epilepsy or another seizure disorder, or
· diabetes.
• You may not be able to take amphetamine-dextroamphetamine, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.
• Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether it will harm an unborn baby. Do not take amphetamine-dextroamphetamine without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant.
• Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine passes into breast milk and may affect a nursing baby. Do not take amphetamine-dextroamphetamine without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

How should I take amphetamine-dextroamphetamine?
• Take amphetamine-dextroamphetamine exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions , ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
• Take each dose with a full glass of water.
• Taking amphetamine-dextroamphetamine in the evening may cause insomnia. Follow your doctor's instructions regarding when to take the medication.
• Never take more of this medication than is prescribed for you. Too much amphetamine-dextroamphetamine could be dangerous.
• Store amphetamine-dextroamphetamine at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

What happens if I miss a dose?
• Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose or if it is already evening, skip the missed dose and take only the next regularly scheduled dose. A dose taken too late in the day may cause insomnia. Do not take a double dose of this medication.

What happens if I overdose?
• Seek emergency medical attention.
• Symptoms of an amphetamine-dextroamphetamine overdose include restlessness, tremor, rapid breathing, confusion, hallucinations, panic, aggressiveness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, an irregular heartbeat, and seizures.

What should I avoid while taking amphetamine-dextroamphetamine?
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine may cause dizziness, blurred vision, or restlessness, and it may hide the symptoms of extreme tiredness. If you experience these effects, avoid hazardous activities.
• Do not take amphetamine-dextroamphetamine late in the day. A dose taken too late in the day may cause insomnia.

What are the possible side effects of amphetamine-dextroamphetamine?
• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking amphetamine-dextroamphetamine and seek emergency medical attention:
· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
· an irregular heartbeat or very high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision); or
· hallucinations, abnormal behavior, or confusion.
• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take amphetamine-dextroamphetamine and talk to your doctor if you experience
· restlessness or tremor;
· anxiety or nervousness;
· headache or dizziness;
· insomnia;
· dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth;
· diarrhea or constipation; or
· impotence or changes in sex drive.
• Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine is habit forming. You can become physically and psychologically dependent on this medication, and withdrawal effects may occur if you stop taking it suddenly after several weeks of continuous use. Talk to your doctor about stopping this medication gradually.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect amphetamine-dextroamphetamine?
• Do not take amphetamine-dextroamphetamine if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), tranylcypromine (Parnate), or phenelzine (Nardil) in the last 14 days.
• Before taking amphetamine-dextroamphetamine, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
· insulin or another diabetes medicine;
· guanethidine (Ismelin) or guanadrel (Hylorel); or
· a tricyclic antidepressant such as amitriptyline (Elavil), amoxapine (Asendin), doxepin (Sinequan), nortriptyline (Pamelor), imipramine (Tofranil), clomipramine (Anafranil), protriptyline (Vivactil), or desipramine (Norpramin).
• You may not be able to take amphetamine-dextroamphetamine, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you are taking any of the medicines listed above.
• Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with amphetamine-dextroamphetamine. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines.

Where can I get more information?
• Your pharmacist has more information about amphetamine-dextroamphetamine written for health professionals that you may read.

Brand Names:
• Adderall

Old 08-31-2002, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fadedwaste

Angry

oh great, another habit-forming medication. so if this drug is not supposed to be prescribed to patients with a history of abuse of drugs or alcohol then why did they prescribe me this drug? I guess as long as I don't abuse it...

Old 08-31-2002, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Talk to your doctor. Sometimes it might be necessary, but I would find out about it before you get too far into it. The one thing you don't need is another problem down the road. It sounds like it's really helping you though so check into it.

Hugs,
MG