Notices

College sober houses?

Old 02-14-2005, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

College sober houses?

I am the mom of an 18 year old addict /alcoholic. She is finishing up 3 months of a year long rehab program. We have been trying to find colleges with sober/recovery houses. Does anyone have any information about these --or do you know where I should look. Thank you for your help!
Old 02-14-2005, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome ashmum
i dont know of any but you came to the right place to ask.i will researh online for you but i bet someone on here know of such places. good luck with your daughters recovery.please remember that the addiction whatever she is on can be controlled if she wants it to be.its hard work but worth it
Old 02-14-2005, 07:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a sober campus, not just sober living arrangements, but you might consider looking into Liberty Univ in Va. On top of the sobriety angle, it is a just plain good school.

BubbaBob
Old 02-14-2005, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hey everyone and Ashmum,

i am a 20 year old college student at uncw. i lived on campus freshman year and uncw is not a dry campus (aka you can drink in the dorms if you are 21 and up). pretty much if you were under 21 you could always find someone to buy you alcohol to sneak in and drink. i would suggested looking at schools that are "dry campus." (meaning that no one even if you are 21 is allow to have alcohol on campus) ie. nc state is a dry campus

hope that helps. let me know if i can answer any questions.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was just wondering if the info i gave helped at all?

hope things are well
Old 03-14-2005, 04:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ashmum,
Are you aware of Recovery House at Case Western Reserve Univerity in Cleveland, Ohio? It is a sober living arrangement for college students in recovery. You can go to the Case website: www.case.edu.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know this is almost five years since your original post, but I find myself in almost the same situation. My 20 year old daughter is in treatment and would like to stay in California to finish college. So I am looking for a sober college. Any recommendations?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi tereda79.....No I don't have any information
but I'm wondering why she can't live at home
and attend college?

Have you asked at her treatment center?

And my Grandson just finished his Masters on line.

All my best....Welcome to SR

Last edited by CarolD; 01-31-2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-30-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm Australian, so no...
but welcome Tereda

D

Last edited by Dee74; 01-30-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-30-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am a college student in recovery. Been sober for a year and I have other friends in recovery at other universities. I even know someone staying sober while at a pretty big party school in SMU. The point is that you can send your child somewhere with a zero tolerance alcy policy and a 'dry campus,' and she can still find alcohol if she wants it. If she is serious about her recovery she can stay sober no matter where she is. There are all kinds of activities and things to do with friends that don't involve alcohol at college. Plus, everywhere has AA and fellowship with other sober people for those who are looking for it. I understand the desire to send you daughter somewhere where you think she will be safe--but that is really impossible. I hope you find what you are looking for. Best.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by tereda79 View Post
I know this is almost five years since your original post, but I find myself in almost the same situation. My 20 year old daughter is in treatment and would like to stay in California to finish college. So I am looking for a sober college. Any recommendations?
Not sure if these are what she is looking for or not,

Attend College Program - Drug and Alcohol Abuse Rehab Program

College Treatment Program NTS Academy CA | Alcohol Drug Abuse Counselor Positions | Training Drug Alcohol

Top 20 party schools and top 20 sober schools | Photos | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Old 01-30-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! Some more information may help- my daughter doesn't want to go back to her school here in Florida. Till she is further along in her recovery and feels stronger she would like to be in sober setting in California while working on her degree.
Again, thank you for all the leads and kind words.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Texas Tech University has a program: Department of Applied and Professional Studies
Old 02-13-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AEK

I struggled with this with my son and wish I had been able to find a sober living house for him. When I look today I find few alternatives and the majority are sober areas in the dorms. I am thinking of starting a sober house, based on the Case Western model, which seems to carry less of a stigma. I know what I look for in this type of facility, but would like to know what other parent's would look for. Any ideas for what you view positively and negatively will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sober College Programs

There is an Association of Recovery Schools that you can view at this link: College Members

There are 15 colleges listed. I know someone who went to one of these schools and had a very positive experience with this program-he came out with straight As and a double major.

Some of these school programs have a special name (ie StepUp) so you may have to poke around on each school's site. This website also lists recovery high schools.

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Grand Valley State University in West Michigan has a big sober living and focus as well as on-campus AA programs.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome suncity - thanks for the info

Please note tho guys - before today, the last response on this thread was February.

D