Notices

Liver discomfor AFTER quitting?

Old 02-17-2024, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver discomfor AFTER quitting?

I know it's a no no to give medical advice. I've already got an appointment coming up with the doc about this but I wanted to know if anyone's ever experienced that right upper quadrant cramp AFTER they quit? It's been almost 3 weeks since quitting and for the past 7 days I've been getting that discomfort every day for the past 7 days.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey WaterOx,
no experience to share here but I hope your doctor can help you figure it out

D
Old 02-17-2024, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
I know it's a no no to give medical advice. I've already got an appointment coming up with the doc about this but I wanted to know if anyone's ever experienced that right upper quadrant cramp AFTER they quit? It's been almost 3 weeks since quitting and for the past 7 days I've been getting that discomfort every day for the past 7 days.
yes, that can happen WaterOx. Don't know why.

Maybe liver repairing itself? Usually no cause for alarm.

It good you're going to to the doctor. .
Old 02-18-2024, 01:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi WaterOx, you’re doing the right thing by seeing your doc. They might say it’s “only” three weeks, but keep an eye on this.

I still had twinges eight months after quitting and paid for a private liver fibroscan to check my liver stiffness (a sign of scarring). All was OK and I’d even got rid of all the liver fat which had been there just 8 months before! The consultant reviewed the results and said that all my lifestyle changes (weight loss, exercise, diet) were good but stopping drinking had done 99% of the work. He didn’t know why I’d been having the aches, possibly fatty liver, but bizarrely the aches went that very day. Maybe there was some stress or psychosomatic stuff going on.

I know of people my age who’d developed cirrhosis from drinking. By some sort of miracle, I’d avoided any long-term liver damage. I saw that as a bullet dodged. No way was I going to drink again with such a second chance. If you get the all clear, make sure you build on that second chance and start living again.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

p.s. this was back in 2019. All good since then.

p.p.s. Well done on three weeks. To expand on above, I had a routine ultrasound to check my abdomen, and that did pick up a “mild” fatty liver. I’d changed my lifestyle before that by losing 25kg and exercising but I still drank. “All” I changed for the fibroscan test 8 months later was to stop drinking. It’s amazing that the liver was able to repair itself once I stopped giving it such a bashing every day.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
yes, that can happen WaterOx. Don't know why.

Maybe liver repairing itself? Usually no cause for alarm.

It good you're going to to the doctor. .
that’s what I’m sincerely hoping. Ironically, It’s the same sort of discomfort I was getting at the peak of my drinking several years ago
it concerns me that it’s something else.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congrats 3 weeks almost WaterOx

I had that feeling something was up with my liver, a bulgy feeling, but everything checks-out now a 1 yr 5 mo sober.

Your drinking days are over nonetheless.

Do you have enough support to stay sober @WaterOx ?
Old 02-18-2024, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
p.s. this was back in 2019. All good since then.

p.p.s. Well done on three weeks. To expand on above, I had a routine ultrasound to check my abdomen, and that did pick up a “mild” fatty liver. I’d changed my lifestyle before that by losing 25kg and exercising but I still drank. “All” I changed for the fibroscan test 8 months later was to stop drinking. It’s amazing that the liver was able to repair itself once I stopped giving it such a bashing every day.
yes that’s exactly what I’m planning to ask for an ultrasound. I’m just surprised the liver hurts MORE after quitting....not less.
oddly enough it doesn’t bother me at all at night so hopefully it’s jusome sort of a stress issue or related to food. I can’t wait until Friday’s appointment. I don’t like not knowing these things because it worries me it’s something unrelated to drinking
Old 02-18-2024, 06:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We’re all different, but if like me the only thing that’ll put your mind at rest is a test, go for it. I’m in the U.K. and would never have got a fibroscan. I was on holiday in Asia and paid the equivalent of UK £140 for a fibroscan and consultant’s time. I’ve since heard the same test can be around £400 in the UK - an absolute bargain for such an important test. I had proof that I didn’t have cirrhosis or fibrosis back in 2019, and as I haven’t drank since (and plan to never do so), I got away with that, barring any other medical issues that may occur.

That was a fibroscan. Your doc will advise what’s best, but be prepared for some reluctance for a referral or just pay for it privately. Best money you’ll ever spend.

​​​​​
​​​
Old 02-18-2024, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey,

Yep, this happened to me after about a month. I think it’s repairing itself.

xxx
Old 02-18-2024, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KneePads View Post
Hey,

Yep, this happened to me after about a month. I think it’s repairing itself.

xxx
so it started after you quit? Not before?
Old 02-18-2024, 12:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
so it started after you quit? Not before?
Yes. So weird!
Old 02-18-2024, 01:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KneePads View Post
Yes. So weird!
yeah I've had this pain before but the irony is it was at the peak of my heavy drinking. When I stopped before it usually got better. Maybe the liver is convinced this time is for real and it's getting down to business lol
Old 02-19-2024, 04:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Waterox, I hope this is helpful. I had a crampy feeling in my left side that continued to get worse and worse in my final years of drinking. When I quit, it went away pretty quickly. Stress/anxiety related perhaps. Probably a number of things that could cause such a pain though, and getting it checked out is surely the safest bet.