Notices

The Sopranos - addicts

Old 01-24-2024, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Sopranos - addicts

The Sopranos was an HBO series that ran from about 1998 to 2005 I think. It’s about a family guy who is also the head of a mafia family. It’s watchable but not mind blowing.

I’m watching it again, very slowly - about half an episode a week 🤣 It’s sad because I binged watched it around 2014 on my laptop with beer and beer and often ended up falling asleep and missing entire episodes. I realise now how much I missed.

There’s an episode where they visit Naples in Italy. I’ve only been to two places in Italy - Rome and also Naples! There’s an annoying younger character in Sopranos called Christopher who’s a drug addict. He goes to Naples too and has big plans. He wants to see the volcano Vesuvius (very visible from Naples), see topless beaches and lots of other things. But what does he do? Stays in his hotel room high as a kite. Sounds familiar although the actor doesn’t do it for me in what should be a very sad scene. It is, though, an analogy of an addict’s life. With so much to do and see, they’ll think first about their beer or whatever and forget about the rest.

I can’t say I was sad to miss the Sopranos, but I missed out on a whole bunch of other stuff as a drunk. Surprisingly Naples (as a drinker) was a good trip. Rome (sober) was even better.

Right, I’m off to watch another five minutes 🤣 I must admit I like the main character. Sad that’s he no longer with us ☹️

Old 01-24-2024, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I definitely feel regret and remorse for disappearing and hiding out as a drunk. So much to do in the world! Particularly because I'm an engineer and I could have been working on my professional development this whole time. I've been a drunk since my senior-ish year in college though :/
Old 01-24-2024, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m an engineer too, TWTOM. I did try and have a career at first, but I get bored with meetings, people saying pointless things and also people trying to use egos. I felt that way long before I got hooked on drink. So I just do freelance now. Saying that, engineers my age (54) do get employed so presumably want a career. Isn’t it something you could do?

Each to their own, but I think there’s more to life than work, which is just a means to an end after all. I feel I missed out on relationships mainly and also making plans. I did/do travel luckily, but I’ll admit I’m not happy to have got divorced, and drinking played a huge part in that.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am still employed and I like my job, Hodd. But I would be much further along and likely better at my job if I were sober this whole time instead of periodically checking out with alcohol.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
needingtochange

Sorry if you've heard this before...
How do you get an engineer's attention? Say, "There's got to be a better way to do this."
Old 01-24-2024, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you like your job, TWTOM, you’re luckier than most.

So properly sobering up might help you career wise too?
Old 01-24-2024, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

^^ Needingtochange - it’s not that easy 🤣

I have to be honest. I qualified to be a science teacher too. Most engineers couldn’t explain their way out of a paper bag ☹️
Old 01-24-2024, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It will greatly help me career-wise. I'm unemployable as a drunk. My manager was not happy with my absenteeism nor should he have been.

I perk right up when I'm sober though.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
needingtochange

Hodd, I'm a wanna-be engineer (I also play a mean air guitar). I'm a sucker for things like that. Lemme take a look at it...
Old 01-24-2024, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

^^ I’m not one for career advice, TWTOM, but is there any way to communicate how you feel to your company? Having a drinker doesn’t have the stigma it had. Caveat: I’m freelance and haven’t had any HR dealings for at least 10 years.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needingtochange View Post
sorry if you've heard this before...
How do you get an engineer's attention? Say, "there's got to be a better way to do this."
lol
Old 01-24-2024, 06:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hodd,

Well I'm a non-drinker now, so I don't need to have that discussion

My manager is also a friend. It's a small company. He knows about my past issues with alcohol.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The only time I have ever disagreed with you, Hodd! The Sopranos is considered in the top 10 best of all time!!!! I really loved it at the time and rewatched it about three years ago.

I especially love the interplay between Tony and Dr. Malfi. He's also so lovable yet a total psychopath, lol.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Hodd! 😊 I remember The Sopranos. I quite liked it too!

In real life the guy that played Tony Soprano had problems with coke and booze (I can relate!) and the producers of the show were constantly worried he was going to die because his binges were so extreme. No judgement here. I know a million percent that if I was a rich Hollywood actor and drugs were easily accessible (and money no object) I would have been on it all day everyday. I’d make Daniella Westbrook look like Mother Teresa.

The poor guy ended up having a heart attack (don’t think he was that old?) and was found by his 14 yr old son 😞😭

I’ve been looking for things to re-watch (when I actually manage to cope with sitting still!) - The Sopranos might just hit the spot!

xxx
Old 01-25-2024, 01:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The episode "Pine Barrens" is some of the best TV ever made, IMO. I think Christopher plays an addict very well through the series. He knows he needs to stop but can't make the change required. To step away from the Mafia life is, ultimately, impossible. He is therefore subjected to an ongoing cycle of hell.

I can relate to the sober realisation of how much of a TV series can be missed and misunderstood when drinking.
Old 01-25-2024, 02:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi bOgler, it has its good points I suppose.

I feel the Naples episode didn’t do the addiction thing that well. I didn’t notice it first time round that Christopher sat in his hotel room the entire trip and wasted a once in a lifetime opportunity (to see Vesuvius). I never found him a convincing actor and to be fair they packed a lot into that one episode. Thinking about it, I had plenty of weekends away with friends where we never saw a thing (except bars!).

Tony’s wife (also quite annoying) was an alcoholic in real life apparently. Yes, the main actor died at 52! I have to say, he was vastly overweight. I was almost that size up to age 49, so I reckon I was destined to depart early unless I changed my ways, which I thankfully did 🙂
Old 01-25-2024, 03:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good job you changed your ways Hodd my last few holidays were totally ruined starting from the airport. Absolutely ridiculous spent most of the time in the hotel complex or room with either the shakes trying to sober up or carrying on drinking hence drunk all week. That's one thing I'm really looking forward to experiencing sober holidays.

There was a news post on my phone saying the huge amount of new alcohol free bars and breweries that were opening due to increase in non drinkers. I'm sure the alcohol manufacturers will be quick to add to this. Another post said they predicted that in 5 years alcohol would become thought of like cigarettes are now.
Old 01-25-2024, 03:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

^ I’m in favour of alcohol free drinks, gymb. I must admit I was addicted to alcohol free beer in my first year of sobriety, but that fizzled out on its own. So whilst I can take or leave it now, it has to be a good thing that more AF choices are available to younger people who will go to bars/clubs anyway.

My last few holidays have been amazing including the magical mystery road trip in Asia 🤣 a trip totally impossible for a drinker!
Old 01-25-2024, 04:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm really looking forward to getting back to how I used to be away on holiday I'm not even concerned it might be hard seeing other people drinking. Each situation up to now hasn't been as big a deal as I thought. I never realised how much alcohol controlled my life bizarre really.

I've not found a good non alcoholic wine they've all been awful but I have a non alcoholic martini with lots of soda really enjoy a couple on the weekend. It's really good to see attitudes changing towards alcohol.

Asia sounds amazing and all the memories you'll remember. It's really what life's all about.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Opinions on AF are hugely divided on SR. It’s each to their own, and if anyone is struggling, they should steer clear. I haven’t had any AF for well over a year.

I used to live in Asia, but that recent trip was with an Asian family in a new country for me. No one seemed to know where they were going 🤣 We ended up driving all night or stopping at some very basic places - with 9 of us in one room! It would have been intolerable for a drinker. The old me would’ve exploded at not being able to plan my next beer!