Notices

My hectic days - no chance as a drinker

Old 01-23-2024, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My hectic days - no chance as a drinker

(This is about the extra energy and time a non-drinker has and not about me.)

Yesterday, left at 7am, arrived at work 8.30am, left 4.30pm, stopped en route to do an online class at 5pm (I’m the teacher &#129315, got home at 6.45pm and went out again for sports training. Got home at 9pm, used my new microwave to heat up leftovers, did some admin, fell asleep at 11pm. Today was even worse so I had to go running at lunchtime and do my side hustle at my day job (I’m freelance so won’t bill the company for that time) and got home at 10pm.

OK, it’s a freelance job so pays ok. The side hustle and exercise are super important so I’ll fit them in any way I can. Yes, some days I’m shattered by the end, but the drinker me could barely manage just a day job. I’ve seen a few posts about tiredness after sobriety. In early recovery, that’ll be due to sleep patterns, but I reckon later on, tiredness is caused by us doing twice as much.

And I’m glad to say even after rushing about, I don’t even remotely crave for alcohol at wine o’clock.

Old 01-23-2024, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hodd you are really busy, but it seems to be working well for you.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
(This is about the extra energy and time a non-drinker has and not about me.)

Yesterday, left at 7am, arrived at work 8.30am, left 4.30pm, stopped en route to do an online class at 5pm (I’m the teacher &#129315, got home at 6.45pm and went out again for sports training. Got home at 9pm, used my new microwave to heat up leftovers, did some admin, fell asleep at 11pm. Today was even worse so I had to go running at lunchtime and do my side hustle at my day job (I’m freelance so won’t bill the company for that time) and got home at 10pm.

OK, it’s a freelance job so pays ok. The side hustle and exercise are super important so I’ll fit them in any way I can. Yes, some days I’m shattered by the end, but the drinker me could barely manage just a day job. I’ve seen a few posts about tiredness after sobriety. In early recovery, that’ll be due to sleep patterns, but I reckon later on, tiredness is caused by us doing twice as much.

And I’m glad to say even after rushing about, I don’t even remotely crave for alcohol at wine o’clock.
Having a schedule is working so well for you Hodd!!
Old 01-23-2024, 05:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good stuff, Hodd. You're a good person, buddy.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds good to me Hodd
I agree - I get so much more done now that I did when it was all about the drinking

D
Old 01-24-2024, 12:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Totally agree Hodd I've always exercised but as my binge drinking got worse I felt a fake. I managed to keep my problem from my mega fit exercise friends and thankfully never messaged them while drunk. That would of destroyed me so I'm incredibly lucky they haven't really any idea how bad my drinking was. As my problem got worse I genuinely did start to feel a fake, like how can I bang on about the exercise I do when a lot of the time I'm out of it.

I've just had a PT session 7am and now have a full on day I will be tired tonight but it's a proper tired not the drink induced tiredness drink caused.

Exercise and horses have always been my passion and in my life. Think it might be hard for some people to stop drinking then be faced with having new hobbies to pursue but it really does give you something to focus on especially in the early days. I kind of realised quite quickly changing my routine and behaviour was paramount to stopping.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

By the way, the above probably sounds hellish. I don’t normally live to work, the opposite applies, and being freelance means I can take as much holidays as I want.

The main point is we plan better and have way more energy when sober 🙂
Old 01-24-2024, 02:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've just had a PT session 7am
That really is an alcohol killer, Gym. No chance of doing that after drinking the night before 👍
Old 01-24-2024, 02:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Good stuff, Hodd. You're a good person, buddy.
You’re not too bad yourself, TWTOM. Imagine how much of a better version of TWTOM you’ll be when you’re free of this drinking nonsense once and for all.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Love your energy, Hodd! I agree, drinking-me could barely make it through the day without a nap. Sober me (most of the time) is looking for ways to use up all the extra energy!
xxx
Old 01-24-2024, 05:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

KneePads,

You had the luxury of naps when hungover?
For me here recently, it was either drunk or withdrawing, and theres no sleep in withdrawal without benzos or something. :/

Can't eat, can't sleep, cant think, constant nausea and stomach pain; alcohol temporarily fixes it. An ER trip permanently fixes it if they give me phenobarbitol and I don't drink again. But really, using up their time for that? They take care of sick kids and stuff. I felt like a total ***.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

^ drinkers have such poor quality sleep, they’re always tired. It’s an awful lie that drinking helps anyone sleep better ☹️
Old 01-24-2024, 06:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

^^ Are you still beating people up with your kick boxing, KP? 🤣

I used to do a Liftshare/carpool with a guy who’s sadly no longer with us. He drank a couple of beers every night which isn’t a lot I guess, but drinking every day is a problem. He also smoked, a lot. So after work and the drive home, he’d be too tired to do anything except watch TV. Meanwhile I’d make the effort to go to the gym or other training. I reckon the extra energy comes from vastly improved sleep.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Totally agree about the sleep thing. My sleep has been awful for years womens stuff night sweats etc etc alcohol would knock me out only to wake again from around 1am then all night tossing and turning. Because I wasn't drinking everyday I thought the sleep thing wouldn't benefit me. Unbelievable I pretty much sleep straight through every night and pretty much all my menopause symptoms have gone. I seriously didn't expect that but it's hugely motivated me to keep going.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I whole heartedly agree with this, Hodd. Especially the parts about sleep and exercise. I've said this before, but it bears repeating: whatever "sleep" is while drinking isn't real. It's some form of unconsciousness but it isn't sleep, it's something horrible mimicking sleep. Once you quit you realize this, and everything changes.

And exercise fuels my ability to have long days, when I was drinking I'd drag my butt through the afternoon, now it flys by and I hardly notice. What a difference.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

^ You’ve got it right, Sam. There’s something magical about doing sport after a day at work. It’s very easy to break that habit and do nothing, but once you get there, it feels great. I drove straight from work to a swimming session just now (I did have 10 minutes sleep in the car outside 🤣 ), and it felt great (the swim, not the sleep). Doing such things does give you more stamina. I’m certainly tired now, but who wouldn’t be? Well, actually, a lot of people wouldn’t have the stamina to do sport after work, especially drinkers.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
needingtochange

Drinking and sleep. Drink 'til I "sleep" (pass out), then wake up four hours later drenched in sweat. Plus working 24/7 shift work for 20+ years. I don't miss those days. Sleep is gradually getting better.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I do not have the stamina to do sport after work sober. I go home, eat a chicken salad for dinner, play on my computer, and go to sleep.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You’d be surprised, TWTOM. That stamina increases with exercise. I think not drinking and the resulting better sleep helps too. Believe me, I really didn’t want to go swimming just now, but I met team mates there and we spur each other on. After, had a coffee. People who “do stuff” tend not to drink I notice.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree 100 percent Hodd. I believe stamina even without exercise at least comes back to the person's baseline. Add in more activity and it just skylines.

TWTOM, even if you're not the sport after work type, even indoor activities & hobbies you'll have more focus even if it just computer video clips, games, reading, or even cooking a meal.