Notices

Travelling question

Old 01-13-2024, 03:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
needingtochange

Travelling question

My wife and I are going on vacation in Mar. to Aus and NZ for two weeks. How much time do you think is enough between our domestic leg and the international leg? Right now I've booked flights that will give us a three hour window at LAX. According to the LAX map, it doesn't look that far (not in a different part of the airport anyway), but we've got to get through customs and all. Thank in advance.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why don't you call the airline?

I would imagine three hours would be more than enough. I've never needed more than about an hour - just don't try to smuggle anything like food or money or live animals!
Old 01-13-2024, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
needingtochange

Yeah, I looked on Delta's website and couldn't find a # to talk to an actual person...
Old 01-13-2024, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

1 (800) 221-1212
Old 01-13-2024, 06:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
needingtochange

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Old 01-13-2024, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
needingtochange

The toll free # worked. Eventually I even got to speak to a real person.
Old 01-13-2024, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, maybe ask an Aussie?

Hi xx

NO.....three hours is nowhere near enough. You can get stuck in customs in LA for a long time. I went through there internationally 6 times in a few months, and I would never give myself less than four hours, five preferably. And if you have any other questions, feel free to ask away. xx
Old 01-13-2024, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

its confusing having two threads.

The path of least resistance is to merge everything here in the Newcomers thread.

D
Old 01-13-2024, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, LAX is unpredictable and can often be a zoo. Simply walking from A to B can be a challenge. Allow as much time as you can.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You won't need to clear customs until you get to your destination country, only on the way back in.. so 3 hours may be enough.. but if you are changing air carriers in LAX for your international flight, you should definitely allow more time - because if the first flight is delayed and you miss your connection you are screwed. The first airline (and possibly the second, depending on fare class) owes you nothing if you miss the second flight.

When I fly two different air carriers internationally these days I plan for an overnight in between to be safe. There are just too many flight problems and delays now, as the system is at capacity and weather is worse in winter. If your entire trip is on the same carrier, they have to see you through, but 3 hours is still pushing it in LAX if there are delays.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, that's true; I thought about that after I went to bed. So I am now with advbkie—three hours should work well.

The biggest problem with LAX is having to travel so far from one terminal to the next, a lot of walking. And the other is the queues at all of the check points, and there are a few, so it can take some time. So, if you are going soon, over this holiday period, or anywhere around Spring Break, the queues get crazy.

And I hope you have a wonderful time.

PS. Also, you need cash for the trolleys...dollar notes and five-dollar notes, if I recall, although, since covid, you can probably use a card, but it is a good idea to have a bit of money on you.
Old 01-14-2024, 03:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
needingtochange

"its confusing having two threads. The path of least resistance is to merge everything here in the Newcomers thread.
Dee. Thanks for the advice. Since I'm almost exclusively (okay, only in Newcomers thread) I wasn't sure how much visibility this question would get in Cafe Central. I know that people in Newcomers span the globe, but didn't want to clog it up with a travel question.
advbike, I work for an agency that deals with the flying public and know how a seemingly small thing in one place can have huge impact everywhere else, so I like to err on the side of caution. Somewhere between getting a room while waiting and doing the "OJ Simpson" through the airport. Better to have a little too much idle time than not enough.
venus, according to Delta, the flight should be in terminal 2 or 3. International arrivals/departures is in terminal B. It all looks much easier on a map! We'll see. I may try and call some folks at LAX, Tuesday to see what they advise. I'm old school (emphasis on old) so I always carry some cash. This time it'll be either US, AUS, or NZ dollars. We're travelling 13-26 March (Fall, in that neck of the woods.) I'm expecting to have a good time. I've never heard anything bad from friends who've been there.
Thanks for all the well wishes.
Old 01-14-2024, 03:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You will need all three; US, NZ and AUD. xx
Old 01-14-2024, 03:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by needingtochange View Post
"its confusing having two threads. The path of least resistance is to merge everything here in the Newcomers thread.
Dee. Thanks for the advice. Since I'm almost exclusively (okay, only in Newcomers thread) I wasn't sure how much visibility this question would get in Cafe Central. I know that people in Newcomers span the globe, but didn't want to clog it up with a travel question.
advbike, I work for an agency that deals with the flying public and know how a seemingly small thing in one place can have huge impact everywhere else, so I like to err on the side of caution. Somewhere between getting a room while waiting and doing the "OJ Simpson" through the airport. Better to have a little too much idle time than not enough.
venus, according to Delta, the flight should be in terminal 2 or 3. International arrivals/departures is in terminal B. It all looks much easier on a map! We'll see. I may try and call some folks at LAX, Tuesday to see what they advise. I'm old school (emphasis on old) so I always carry some cash. This time it'll be either US, AUS, or NZ dollars. We're travelling 13-26 March (Fall, in that neck of the woods.) I'm expecting to have a good time. I've never heard anything bad from friends who've been there.
Thanks for all the well wishes.
technically Cafe is the right place for threads not strictly about recovery, but I was busy so I went with the bigger of two threads wins

D

Old 01-14-2024, 03:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
needingtochange

You will need all three; US, NZ and AUD.
Not to mention Aus and NZ visas and adjusting our cells....