The let down

Old 07-12-2002, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The let down

Well I made the big step and called to find the local Al anon meeting place.......and it is a good 30 minute ride. (without traffic)
I know that shouldn't be a deterant, but with 3 kids all in different directions, the activities I get to do are very limited. I was hoping to have attended my 1st meeting before he returned. It looks as if I'll have to wait another week. The meeting is tonight at 8PM and I had already promised my son to take him to a swim/pizza/birthday party. It is at a very good friends house that is aware of the situation, but I really wanted to get started. I guess I have to settle for making the call as my step in the right direction this time.

The young group meeting (for the kids) is even further away. I am still going to do some checking around locally, maybe there is a group that was overlooked? Thought I would also check with the Youth minister at Church, maybe he will have some suggestions.

I'll be back
Old 07-12-2002, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

constant,

You're headed in the right direction. Be patient. It will all come together for you.

We are always here for support. Feel free to post anytime.

Hugs,

MG

Old 07-12-2002, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I noticed you on the NA board and I thought you might like to read the Pernell's post Addictive Personality (on Nar Anon) it was brought to the top for you...it is so informative, I am sure you will get alot out of it.

Sorry for your disappointment...keep trying, and keep coming back.

Hugs,

Last edited by JT; 07-12-2002 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow what an informative post. Thank you very much for the advice.

Constant
Old 07-13-2002, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Constant,

You sound like an information geek like me...information is power if you ask me. There is a ton of great reading out there. Check out the Book Club at the top of ths board and I will hunt for some other good posts.

Alot of these materials are available in he Soberrecovery store, alot at your local libarary and when you get to that meeting free pamphlets and inexpensive literature is there as well.

The first step is admitting that we are powerless over other people. Our best thinking, our best plotting and planning brought us to the point of desperation. We have argued, cried, demanded, laid down the law, issued untimatums, manipulated, followed them around checking on them or looking for booze...and none of these things have helped.

The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over expecting a different outcome.

If any of this sounds at all familiar take that first step, step away from the A and begin to focus on YOU.

Hugs,
Old 07-13-2002, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hi Constant

Congraturlations on wanting to do something good for yourself.
Just because you have to delay getting to a meeting, doesn't mean you have to delay your recovery. The reading material JT mentioned is a great way to start and will help it not seem so strange to you when you do get to a meeting.

Good luck Constant, and happy reading.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I brought 3 good posts to the top here on the Al An board...Enjoy!