Notices

New but have been in treatment before

Old 10-16-2023, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New but have been in treatment before

Can members here offer any fresh ideas please? I wish to move away from traditional AA/SMART paradigms. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2023, 10:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We have a very nice section of secular sobriety approaches. Go about halfway down the main page and you'll see it. There's a lot of traffic so you might find suggestions you like.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/#secular-recovery

There are lots of forums for different aspects of recovery, also some not related to recovery so you can just hang out and read and post.
Old 10-16-2023, 10:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
We have a very nice section of secular sobriety approaches. Go about halfway down the main page and you'll see it. There's a lot of traffic so you might find suggestions you like.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/#secular-recovery

There are lots of forums for different aspects of recovery, also some not related to recovery so you can just hang out and read and post.
Thanks. Is this 'Secular Connections'? I still see a lot about SMART and a fair bit about RR/AVRT but not a lot else. I personally don't believe massively in these options and was hoping for something more progressive but I'll keep on searching and reading. Thanks again though.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're in the Newcomers forum right now - we welcome all approaches here
I 'only' used SR and it's worked for me.

If you follow this link you'll find the main secular forum.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...r-connections/
D
Old 10-17-2023, 03:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SR worked / works for me as well, plus an app on my phone that keeps count of the days. 😊
Old 10-17-2023, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too joined SR looking for a way to get sober.
I found it here. It's a collaboration of methods and advice given to me by folks who have been there.
Keep looking around. Your way out is here.
Old 10-17-2023, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SR supports and advocates many forms of recovery. So you are going to see a lot of references to the most common alphabetical programs for no other reason than they are common and have helped many alcoholics. If you understand the basics of those programs and are not interested, then read between the lines so to speak, and pay attention to the posts that don't reference them. A lot of people here have used nothing more than SR to get sober (oops! I just described the forum with letters), but you know what I mean. There are also a lot of recovering alcoholics who are not here, don't show up at any meetings, or subscribe to any particular method. I believe they are a silent majority, but I can't say that for certain, because, well.... they are silent.

However you decide to get better, there are the most important fundamentals of healing that are required in any of the well known programs.

Total dedication to recovery
No moderation of your drinking: Quit for good
Make sobriety the main focus of your life (at least at first)
DON'T DRINK EVER FOR ANY REASON!

I may have left a fundamental out, but others may want to add. No method I know of works without these. Beyond these, there are personal discoveries and insights found throughout the forum that will help. In the end, you won't find an easy way to get sober. At least there is no magic bullet that makes you sober that doesn't require some work or some hanging onto your chair. It's hard at first, but once over that hump, it's time to think whenever the temptation to drink that will lead you back into the nightmare will rear it's sometimes ugly, sometimes friendly head. This part is easier, but there are traps and pitfalls you must learn to navigate, because addiction is easy to fall back into.

I have also found that every program out there has something helpful I can use, and if I want to get picky, and can find areas in each that I disagree with. My method was my own doing, but I drew from others and used whatever worked for me. No matter how you do it, your own "doing" plays a major role. Sobriety comes from inside, not something handed to us.

It may also help to further the discussion if you could tell us what you are looking for in the way of help. What expectations to you have about how to get sober?
Old 10-17-2023, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

@DriGuy

The thread starter's account is deactivated...i.e. s/he won't answer you.
Old 10-17-2023, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
SR supports and advocates many forms of recovery. So you are going to see a lot of references to the most common alphabetical programs for no other reason than they are common and have helped many alcoholics. If you understand the basics of those programs and are not interested, then read between the lines so to speak, and pay attention to the posts that don't reference them. A lot of people here have used nothing more than SR to get sober (oops! I just described the forum with letters), but you know what I mean. There are also a lot of recovering alcoholics who are not here, don't show up at any meetings, or subscribe to any particular method. I believe they are a silent majority, but I can't say that for certain, because, well.... they are silent.

However you decide to get better, there are the most important fundamentals of healing that are required in any of the well known programs.

Total dedication to recovery
No moderation of your drinking: Quit for good
Make sobriety the main focus of your life (at least at first)
DON'T DRINK EVER FOR ANY REASON!

I may have left a fundamental out, but others may want to add. No method I know of works without these. Beyond these, there are personal discoveries and insights found throughout the forum that will help. In the end, you won't find an easy way to get sober. At least there is no magic bullet that makes you sober that doesn't require some work or some hanging onto your chair. It's hard at first, but once over that hump, it's time to think whenever the temptation to drink that will lead you back into the nightmare will rear it's sometimes ugly, sometimes friendly head. This part is easier, but there are traps and pitfalls you must learn to navigate, because addiction is easy to fall back into.

I have also found that every program out there has something helpful I can use, and if I want to get picky, and can find areas in each that I disagree with. My method was my own doing, but I drew from others and used whatever worked for me. No matter how you do it, your own "doing" plays a major role. Sobriety comes from inside, not something handed to us.

It may also help to further the discussion if you could tell us what you are looking for in the way of help. What expectations to you have about how to get sober?
I like what you wrote: Make sobriety the main focus of your life (at least at first)

YEP yep yep
Old 10-17-2023, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
@DriGuy

The thread starter's account is deactivated...i.e. s/he won't answer you.
How do you know this?