View Single Post
Old 10-17-2023, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BryanDavid

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
SR supports and advocates many forms of recovery. So you are going to see a lot of references to the most common alphabetical programs for no other reason than they are common and have helped many alcoholics. If you understand the basics of those programs and are not interested, then read between the lines so to speak, and pay attention to the posts that don't reference them. A lot of people here have used nothing more than SR to get sober (oops! I just described the forum with letters), but you know what I mean. There are also a lot of recovering alcoholics who are not here, don't show up at any meetings, or subscribe to any particular method. I believe they are a silent majority, but I can't say that for certain, because, well.... they are silent.

However you decide to get better, there are the most important fundamentals of healing that are required in any of the well known programs.

Total dedication to recovery
No moderation of your drinking: Quit for good
Make sobriety the main focus of your life (at least at first)
DON'T DRINK EVER FOR ANY REASON!

I may have left a fundamental out, but others may want to add. No method I know of works without these. Beyond these, there are personal discoveries and insights found throughout the forum that will help. In the end, you won't find an easy way to get sober. At least there is no magic bullet that makes you sober that doesn't require some work or some hanging onto your chair. It's hard at first, but once over that hump, it's time to think whenever the temptation to drink that will lead you back into the nightmare will rear it's sometimes ugly, sometimes friendly head. This part is easier, but there are traps and pitfalls you must learn to navigate, because addiction is easy to fall back into.

I have also found that every program out there has something helpful I can use, and if I want to get picky, and can find areas in each that I disagree with. My method was my own doing, but I drew from others and used whatever worked for me. No matter how you do it, your own "doing" plays a major role. Sobriety comes from inside, not something handed to us.

It may also help to further the discussion if you could tell us what you are looking for in the way of help. What expectations to you have about how to get sober?
I like what you wrote: Make sobriety the main focus of your life (at least at first)

YEP yep yep