Notices

Are cigars a slippery slope?

Old 06-09-2023, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are cigars a slippery slope?

I have never been a cigarette smoker but started smoking cigars a few years ago. I would say I do 3-5 a year. usually it will just pop into my head as something that sounds really good and I'll do one, maybe one a day for a few days in a row.

I'm wondering if this can become an issue. On cigar forums people claim they're not addicted and they just love smoking cigars but I'm wondering if eventually it becomes a daily habit that is very hard to quit? At this point I do not feel that I need it, it is not hard at all to not smoke them. I don't want it to become hard though and am worried that the people on those forums are biased and it's not the whole story?
Old 06-13-2023, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would be way too scared to smoke a cigar after quitting smoking, just because you are still going to absorb nicotine and it is playing with fire. When I quit smoking I had to quit all smoking.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oglsby View Post
I would be way too scared to smoke a cigar after quitting smoking, just because you are still going to absorb nicotine and it is playing with fire. When I quit smoking I had to quit all smoking.
Thanks for the insight. I got sick the other week from the nicotine so it's definitely there. At this point I don't crave it any more than certain food items once in a while. I think I'll just choose to quit. I recall a saying from Allen Carr that went something like "Everyone remembers their first experimental cigarettes but no one remembers the time when they chose to become a regular smoker because no one ever did deliberately make that choice." This kind of feels like where I'm at, like I've experimented with cigars, enjoy the experience somewhat and feel like I can quit whenever, and right now I can walk away... But at some point maybe that choice will become a battle and I'll wake up one day and wonder how I got there.
Old 06-13-2023, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I DID enjoy cigars, and I, like you, only had a handful a year. But I think if I got into them, eventually I would REALLY get into them. Maybe not smoke a cigarette again, but ultimately I think it's just yet another delivery system for nicotine.

I really learned a lot when I quit with the patch, because when I was finally done with the patch, I craved the patch. It really broke a cycle in me that I was craving a cigarette for the smoke. It was all about the nicotine.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The nicotine addiction is real. It happened to me with regular and heavy tobacco use. Before that, Admiral, I was like you... I didn't feel like I needed it and I could stop at any time. Cigars would be just the same as other tobacco products; they all contain the highly addictive nicotine. I don't promote smoking, so I'd say you're better off without cigars. It's just not healthy for your body or mind. It's not a good habit to get into and even occasional use is not normal behavior.