Notices

Day 8

Old 10-19-2022, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8

One week down and mentally I'm feeling strong. Physically I feel pretty tired. I have been getting out and doing things but I've been so drained in the mornings. My night terrors and night time delusions (which I still have at age 39) seemed to have got worse the past few nights, which may explain why I'm extra drained each morning.
I'm really craving sugar, chocolate and crap like that. I never really ate sugary foods when drinking. Is it okay to allow myself to indulge a bit during this transitional period or am I just substituting one bad habit for another? I eat clean too, I'm just adding in extra crap on top.
Mentally I'm feeling way more motivated and am getting things done and am planing well. That feels good. I was contacted by my old employer who'd ike me to consider going back to work for them. I left that company a couple of years ago now. Interview next week. I think it could work well for me if the stars align.
I'm not being too hard on myself and I'm dealing with thoughts of alcohol logically when they arise. I'm really taking the time to consider why I'm here over the short impulsive seemingly attractive thoughts of having a drink. The logic trumps all.
I'm already making more time for and plans with my family which feels really good.
I'm also looking at a 2 week surf camp in Sri Lanka for my 40th next year. It's something to work and save for.
Sorry for the ramble. I just feel it's good to get everything on a plate right now.
I do need to start a proper recovery plan outside of what I'm currently doing, however I feel I'm doing all I can at the minute. My night terrors drain me mentally and physically and I need those to settle first I think.
Old 10-19-2022, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by Mavericks View Post
I'm really craving sugar, chocolate and crap like that. I never really ate sugary foods when drinking. Is it okay to allow myself to indulge a bit during this transitional period or am I just substituting one bad habit for another? I eat clean too, I'm just adding in extra crap on top.
When I entered recovery I had to take a hard look at my entire life. I had to face the mess. And the perfectionist in me wanted it ALL cleaned up at the same time. Addiction mess, relationship mess, work mess, diet mess, etc.....

But, there was a part of my true self that KNEW I couldn't conquer every battle at the same time. Thank God for that part of me! Looking back at it, I can identify how that drive for perfection in abstinence from drugs/alcohol, healthy diet, exercise plan, spiritual practice, socialization, ample family time, and hard work was likely my AV at work. When I am overwhelmed by the enormity of a task, I am more likely to say, "Forget this bull****!" I'm more likely to return to addiction. That is what my AV wants.

I didn't get into my mess quickly. It slipped up on me. It's not an easy fix. So I must prioritize my fixes.

For me, staying sober was top priority (because all else failed if that failed) and sobriety required a certain amount of spiritual practice and socialization (I use the fellowship of AA). Relationships/family were next in line of importance. Those areas received ALL of my initial attention, and I absolutely allowed myself to eat ice cream or candy or bake cakes with my kids.

In time, my diet eased back into healthy/normal mode, and my interest in exercise returned. After that my employment situation started to sort itself out.

All that to say, when the oldtimers in my group say, "Easy does it," and offer a bowl of candy and a cup of coffee at every meeting, they know from experience that if you make sobriety (and, for me, spiritual fitness) top priority, the other messes can get cleaned up, too. Eventually.

No need to rush. I've found it's actually ok to be a bit messy!

You are doing great! Good luck on your journey!
-TC
Old 10-19-2022, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The worst thing about early recovery for me were the drinking dreams. They were full blown nightmares that took a few minutes to shake off when the fear woke me up. Physically, I wouldn't expect a big change during the first week. Well the absence of hangovers was a change, but it's not like I could lift more or run farther. That came later, and slowly. The big pay off for me was being free from a chemical addiction. Or was it psychological addiction? Who knows? Don't really care.
Old 10-19-2022, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're doing great. Craving sugar is a natural consequence of stopping alcohol and I personally think you should do whatever you have to to stay sober. Dark chocolate was a big thing for me. Like TC said, the rest will fall into place. The sleeping and the dreams get better. Keep going!
Old 10-19-2022, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm really craving sugar, chocolate and crap like that. I never really ate sugary foods when drinking. Is it okay to allow myself to indulge a bit during this transitional period or am I just substituting one bad habit for another?
That’s fairly common. A doctor would say it’s not OK, but sugar is by far the lesser evil here.

No doubting sugar is addictive too, and it’s bad for diabetes and also heart health, which is surprising. But compared to alcohol, it’s trivial. Well done on day 8.

I quit nearly 4 years ago and probably still eat more sugary junk than I did when I drank. It needs to be watched in the long term.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Congrats on 8 days Mavericks.

I'm 8 months sober and I dealt with intense sugar cravings for about the first 6 months. They did eventually calm down though. I wasn't too hard on myself about it though and usually indulged in something sweet to quash the cravings. Now I'm back to normal in that regard.

Early on, just make staying sober your priority. In time things will start to balance out. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-19-2022, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 8 days Mavericks

Like others here I pretty much ate anything I wanted in the beginning. When my recovery was secure the hunger for sugar faded.

D
Old 10-19-2022, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 8! Sleep will settle in time, keep going!
Old 10-20-2022, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Encouraging messages and kind words.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congrats on 8 days Mavericks, with a sober/clear mind problems become more manageable.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I could not get enough sour candy when I stopped drinking. Sugar craving is definitely a thing, but I found it much easier conquered than alcohol. Over 3 years sober now and I'm a very healthy vegan. It's a process; you will get there! Congratulations on 8 days!