All alcoholic on both sides of my family

Old 06-20-2022, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All alcoholic on both sides of my family

Hi everyone, I am new to this message board.
I find myself unable to continue to deal with no one from either of my families keeping in touch with me hardly ever. Both of my parents were alcoholics. I have not abused alcohol or drugs in my lifetime.I have a half brother who used to be in touch, but since Covid hit, he has been spending most of his time in another state. I saw him for the first time in 2 1/2 years a few weeks ago. He has gone back to that state and will be there until October.
I am not married, nor do I have children. I also have very few, but very good friends.
I think that this psychic pain from the loneliness is going to be the end of me sometimes.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Salut, glad you have found us. Sorry to hear how lonely you are feeling.

I can relate as I come from alcoholics going way back through the generations on both sides of my family. I had to go No Contact with a lot of them as they were just so harmful with their behaviours and actions.

I have built myself a new family of good people. Glad to read you do have some very good friends in your life.

Please have a read around and maybe chat to a few people by posting.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you PeacefulWater12 . I'm sorry to hear that you had to go No Contact with some of your family.
I am very grateful for the few very good friends in my life. However, it is hard for them to keep in regular contact with me also because they are very busy dealing with their families and children.
I will have a read around the website.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Salut123,
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry for what brings you here.
Making peace with the damage done by our alcoholic parent(s) is a rough road sometimes.
Glad you have some good friendships in your life.
Have you tried AlAnon or do you have a therapist/counselor to process with?
Peace,
B.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

salut-----do you know that here is an organization that is specifically for those who have suffered having parents who are/were alcoholics?
It is called "Adult Children of Alcoholics".

I strongly encourage you to get nd read their "Big Book" and their literature. You can order the book and the literature on amazon.com---in the book section.
In the book section---just type in---Adult Children of Alcoholics----.
You can google their name to find fact to face meetings in your area!

These are peoplw who you will have a lo in common with-----and, understanding beyond mere words.