Where to even begin?

Old 06-19-2022, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where to even begin?

My husband and I have been together for 40 years. We have always enjoyed drinks socially.

Within the past few years, he has been drinking heavily and lying about how much...both volume of alcohol and money spent. We have discussed it and when answering basic questions about his alcohol use, it seems clear he is alcohol dependent.

Of course I am concerned about his health, but there is a financial concern as well. He sneaks and weasels and lies which he has never done before. He now hides liquor and drinks alone to the point of passing out.

I am at a loss as to where to even begin. The lies are as troubling to me as the excessive drinking. My instincts tell me to do all the things the professionals say not to do...

What would someone here (who has experienced this first hand) suggest as a starting point?

Old 06-19-2022, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Grange I'm so sorry to read about what is troubling you.
al-anon would be a very good starting point either online or in real time meetings.
Reading around this forum is also a good place to start. There is so much to learn from others stories and so much support to gain. By reading about what others go through we realise we are not alone with this.
And keep posting here.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Grange!

Yes, Amaranth's suggestion of beginning to attend alanon meetings is an excellent first step.

Here are a few more suggesations.......in addition to alanon, of course.
1. Get a copy of the most frequently recommended book, on this forum----"Co-dependent No More" and read it ASAP...lol. It is an easy read and I predict that so much of it will resonate with you.
2. Reqd through all of the over 100 excellent articles regarding the thing that you are dealing with. These articles are contained in the section called "Classic Reading"----in the stickies section, located just above the regular threads. I you can't find "Classic Reading"---let me know!
There is sooo much to know. Knowledge is power.
After you read the articles in "Classic Reading"----you will have a "boot-camp" amount of knowlege under your belt!...lol.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sage

If there is a financial concern, I'd strongly suggest that you set up your own accounts (I firmly believe all individuals should have their own accounts anyway). You should have savings to equal a minimum of several months' living expenses of emergency savings. You should also have a separate checking account from which to pay bills. Perhaps when he is sober make an agreement about how much money each of you gets for spending, and what has to go into the bill paying account, and then don't allow transfers from your accounts to his.

It may be difficult to separate finances after 40 years of marriage, but I know from experience that an out of control addict can blow through the retirement accounts, the savings accounts, and finally the checking account. I went from a well planned future to hiding cash from each paycheck just to keep a roof over our heads.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grange View Post
My instincts tell me to do all the things the professionals say not to do...
Hi grange and welcome. Glad you found the forum.

What have you read that professionals say not to do? There are a few points of view - tough love, coddling the addict, keeping hands off their alcoholism. What is your instinct on it all?

You didn't Cause it, can't Control it and can't Cure it (the 3 c's)

Old 06-19-2022, 11:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Grange, sorry for the sad situation that brings you to us but glad you found us.

I encourage you to have a read around, you will see your story reflected here. All the issues you describe are sadly very typical with drinkers.

I see from above members that "Co-dependent No More" and Al-anon have been suggested. These two resources were a huge help to me. I had to learn to untangle myself from my late alcoholic husband. See what was my responsibility and what was his.

You ask for a starting point. My honest answer is for you to review whether you want to carry on in this situation or not. Alcoholism gets worse over time. It only stops if the person themselves is willing to put aside the alcohol AND do the very hard work of working a recovery program for life.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Grange, glad you found us.
I experienced your situation, but with more turbulence through the years, periods of
sobriety then using etc. He didn't stop for good until he had lost a dear high school friend
to alcohol and his brother who died a miserable death waiting for a liver transplant.
Thats what it took for him, and his own kidneys starting to fail.

I strongly recommend alanon, it may take a few meetings to find one that feels right.
Reading the books mentioned here and literature about what alcoholism does to
families. In hindsight, knowing what I know now, I would not have stayed and exposed
myself to so much agony, watching him spiral down. He is healthy now, and continues
to be very active in AA. I will say that some things are not repairable, sadly.