Notices

The cider vinegar looked appealing!

Old 10-28-2021, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The cider vinegar looked appealing!

No, I wouldn’t drink cider vinegar. It’s not even alcoholic, but the acetic acid wouldn’t be great for the stomach. My wife takes it in small quantities for the apparent health benefits which I’m not sure of.

Anyway, having had a new kitchen recently, a few - well ok, a lot - things still need to be put away. My eye caught a clear bottle of cider vinegar earlier, and with the light shining through it looked like mead wine or some sort of scotch. I never touched spirits, but any sort of wine never lasted long in my house. I took a closer look at the cider vinegar as I really thought it was wine.

The fact the bottle looked so appealing tells me that a real bottle of wine in my house might be too much of a temptation. My brain registered that golden bottle earlier and told me I needed to take a closer look. I might be 34 months sober, but I’ll always have to be wary. I still have the illness of alcoholism, but it’s in remission. The local booze shop being 45 seconds walk from my door is enough of a barrier to stop me having a drink. Having alcohol in the house would be outright daft.

I’m always amazed when people relapse, how close to hand alcohol was. I reckon they had alcohol in the house. For anyone reading this, that’s a no no. If a partner drinks (moderately hopefully), they need to lock their booze away. I’m sort of fine going into a pub now, and I sometime look at wine in supermarkets to gloat about the ever increasing prices, and I have no desire or cravings then. A bottle of wine in a cupboard at home, though, is going too far. If I’m like this now, nearly three years on, it’s likely to be the case for life. Thankfully my wife doesn’t drink. None of us should have alcohol in the house.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good advice and good post Hodd. We never know when that random moment may cause us to slip into old thinking and pick up a glass or a bottle. Better not to have it near. There is a bottle of white wine and half a bottle of sherry in the back of a cupboard behind a load of other stuff. I saw it this week, I had totally forgotten it was there. It makes me annoyed that I have to throw it away - the fact I am annoyed tells me that I MUST throw it away. Thank you for your timely post Hodd!
Old 10-28-2021, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good advice Hodd. Having alcohol in the house would almost certainly lead to a relapse for me.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
Good advice and good post Hodd. We never know when that random moment may cause us to slip into old thinking and pick up a glass or a bottle. Better not to have it near. There is a bottle of white wine and half a bottle of sherry in the back of a cupboard behind a load of other stuff. I saw it this week, I had totally forgotten it was there. It makes me annoyed that I have to throw it away - the fact I am annoyed tells me that I MUST throw it away. Thank you for your timely post Hodd!
I’d definitely throw those away.

My wife has some chinese cooking wine which I’m slightly ashamed to say I drank in the bad old days. It was from a special shop, and many a time I was made to go and buy a new bottle as I’d drunk it! The thing is, it’s not meant to be drunk. It tastes awful! I might check if there’s any left and bin it.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My partner drinks and his alcohol is on top of fridge.

Not a problem for me

Oddly enough, when I quit cigs 34 years ago tomorrow, I kept a pack of cigs on top of my fridge. Idk. Weird, but I didn’t want to be a smoker any more, and instead of needing to quit, I WANTED to quit.

no temptation for me, but we are all different
Old 10-30-2021, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone is different. There is booze in the house, dh has all but given up, I think he had one beer last spring.
I forget it's there, but if it tempted me in the least, it would be gone. I actually entered a liquor store last week for the first time in 4 years, I needed vodka for vanilla extract. Dh could have gone, he offered, but I was fine. Although I went at 6:30 and it was closed so had to go back the next day. Far cry from back in the day when I knew the hours of all within a 45 minute drive and the drive time between each one. I did have to convert measurements to know what to get, that took a minute. I didn't even know they don't take airmiles anymore lol.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, it’s bizarre how we’re all different. I quite often buy beer or wine as presents or if I’m invited to someone’s house for dinner. I guess I lack the imagination to think of anything else to bring. I also wouldn’t be offended if an acquaintance did the same for me, although I would politely tell them I find drink.

As said above, I like looking at the alcohol prices in supermarkets and can go in pubs with friends, no problem. But a bottle of red wine in the house, whilst it wouldn’t keep me awake with worry and the chances are I wouldn’t touch it, there is that risk for me.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is alcohol in my house and I am not tempted to drink it. My S.O. does drink.
I also do buy wine as gifts for friends. I have not been in a situation where I have wanted to drink or there is a chance for relapse.
I can still mentally and emotionally feel the weight of my last drinking night over a year later It was a doozy.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is beer for guests in my fridge and I could not care less about it. I would never have wine in the house unless someone was going to consume it before they left, though. I have NO desire whatsoever to drink but why take any foolish chances? That's just me.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The cider vinegar is still there, but with today’s gloomy weather and no sunlight to make it glow, it looks more like a bottle of chip fat/cooking oil 😆

If I start thinking cooking oil looks like alcohol, I’ll know I have problems 🙂
Old 10-31-2021, 10:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That’s so funny, Hodd!
😂😂😂😂😂🤓
Old 10-31-2021, 01:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Chip oil. 😂