View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hodd

The cider vinegar looked appealing!

No, I wouldn’t drink cider vinegar. It’s not even alcoholic, but the acetic acid wouldn’t be great for the stomach. My wife takes it in small quantities for the apparent health benefits which I’m not sure of.

Anyway, having had a new kitchen recently, a few - well ok, a lot - things still need to be put away. My eye caught a clear bottle of cider vinegar earlier, and with the light shining through it looked like mead wine or some sort of scotch. I never touched spirits, but any sort of wine never lasted long in my house. I took a closer look at the cider vinegar as I really thought it was wine.

The fact the bottle looked so appealing tells me that a real bottle of wine in my house might be too much of a temptation. My brain registered that golden bottle earlier and told me I needed to take a closer look. I might be 34 months sober, but I’ll always have to be wary. I still have the illness of alcoholism, but it’s in remission. The local booze shop being 45 seconds walk from my door is enough of a barrier to stop me having a drink. Having alcohol in the house would be outright daft.

I’m always amazed when people relapse, how close to hand alcohol was. I reckon they had alcohol in the house. For anyone reading this, that’s a no no. If a partner drinks (moderately hopefully), they need to lock their booze away. I’m sort of fine going into a pub now, and I sometime look at wine in supermarkets to gloat about the ever increasing prices, and I have no desire or cravings then. A bottle of wine in a cupboard at home, though, is going too far. If I’m like this now, nearly three years on, it’s likely to be the case for life. Thankfully my wife doesn’t drink. None of us should have alcohol in the house.