Notices

Hope For The Newcomer

Old 10-22-2021, 03:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hope For The Newcomer

Good morning
I wanted to write this on the Newcomer Forum, hoping that it'll help out someone who is having some difficulty with putting a substance down.
In a couple of days, I'll have 8-months of sobriety. 8-months ago, I NEVER thought I'd be able to say that. I'd read things here, or hear things in the meetings I go to, and I couldn't relate completely. I'd hear, "If I can do it, you can too!" or "If I can do it, anyone can!"
I felt defeated, like there was nothing to go on for, like nothing mattered anyway. Actually, as time went on, I considered myself a nihilist.
I was in my job for 14-years. The job had gotten mundane, I was being harassed, verbally abused, bullied, and as a result of those things and some more, it was a terribly negative work environment. I was constantly put down and berated. My bills were not paid unless I asked the boss for some money to pay them, rent included!
For years I thought I'd be in that position until the day I croaked.

In February of this year, I went into the hospital with anxiety, having a panic attack. They kept me there for a while, and here we are at 8-months sober partially thanks to it! In September, I finally got the guts to begin a program that is in a completely different field. Today is my certification exam! I've studied and studied for it. I'm exhausted, but not hungover
My drinking lasted for about 15-years and nearly 8-months ago I reached a point of no return. I could not continue the way I was going, but I didn't feel as if I could change anything. At some point, I wrote down a sentence in my journal that I flip to occasionally, and it's just a sentence asking to have my desire to drink removed.
I no longer have that strong desire or urge to drink. My days are filled with amazing things, some sad, some great! One Day at a Time.

I hope you can find some sort of hope in this message.
If I can do it, I honestly believe that you can do it too.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on eight months wind pines -awesome!

D
Old 10-22-2021, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations WindPines!!!

I am right there with you and I just celebrated 8 months sober two days ago so we are almost sober twins. Like you said life isn’t easy or perfect but it is so much better.

Well done!!!
Old 10-22-2021, 04:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go WP (and hills). I can relate to that surprise about being sober for 8 months. I experienced the same thing, although I can't remember exactly what number of months I had arbitrarily decided I would never see. We spent so much of our lives depending on alcohol for no other reason that we had to have it, that not having to have it seems strange and foreign. But here you are. Welcome to the New World. It's kind of like an alternate reality, where everything is backwards. But it's a lovely thing to get used to.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

YOU CHANGED YOUR LIFE! I love this. Congratulations. I am so so happy for you and all that you have accomplished. Keep on moving forward in light and positivity!
Old 10-22-2021, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congratulations, and thank you for sharing. I know that when I was newly sober, I really looked to the people who had more sobriety than I did for inspiration and hope. I saw that they were working things out, that their lives were better, and it would keep me going.

Almost 7 years sober now, and I can honestly say that life is better in almost every way. I drank problematically from the first time I drank at 18, and really heavily for about 5 years leading up to quitting. My life was a mess, and it's mostly cleaned up now. I will never go back to that chaos and sadness and fear.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 10-22-2021, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's very good to read so many positive experiences in sobriety, thank you. It does sound like you have turned over your whole life in those 8 months and you are enjoying it. Congratulations!
Old 10-22-2021, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to you too Hills

D
Old 10-22-2021, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats WP and hills, you both rock 🪨🪨🪨
Old 10-22-2021, 08:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the courage to stay sober and pursue a new vocation. I hope your exam went well - you deserve it!
Old 10-22-2021, 08:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done on 8 months!
Old 10-24-2021, 03:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 8 months sober.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks you all! I passed the exam. Next chapter
Hope you all are having a great weekend!
Old 10-25-2021, 11:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 months sober! 🙏